TechDAS arm base top mount

djsina2

May 30, 2019
I have a standard AF5. Can someone tell me about the optional(?) metal caps that thread into the posts to secure the arm bases? This appears to be for arm bases which do not have their own pinch bolt. Any benefits to this method of attachment?

1618956238783.jpeg

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sorry I can't understand which part you mean. Could you post a pic?

djsina2

May 30, 2019
In the pic I posted it’s the silver metal cap on the left front arm base.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Oh, as far as I know that is the only way to mount any of the factory AF3/AF5 arm boards I've had my hands on. The cone on the bottom fits the inverted cone of the arm board. The cone maximizes surface contact area for more rigidity. The hole in the side is for us to torque it using the big silver supplied hex. It's 2:30 am here so i might be a bit punchy. I hope I am looking at the right part.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Thanks yes you are looking at the right part but I’ve had two factory arm bases and both had the side pinch bolt for attaching.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Cool :) So I was't THAT sleepy yet LOL

I figure both work just fine.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
The shown tone arm base is the original AF3 / AF3P type with the center fitting,

All AF5 and AF5P were using the the side pinch bolt method.

Both tonearmbase designs do fit all AF 3 and AF5 turntables.

In Germany the retail price of the two designs is different.

side pinch bolt (same as the former Micro Seiki design) is much cheaper.

Reactions: djsina2

lscangus

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2018
The shown tone arm base is the original AF3 / AF3P type with the center fitting,

All AF5 and AF5P were using the the side pinch bolt method.

Both tonearmbase designs do fit all AF 3 and AF5 turntables.

In Germany the retail price of the two designs is different.

side pinch bolt (same as the former Micro Seiki design) is much cheaper.
Hello. what are the materials of the arm board from TechDAS made of? I got one for the SME with my 5P and it seems to be aluminium?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Hello. what are the materials of the arm board from TechDAS made of? I got one for the SME with my 5P and it seems to be aluminium?
yes, it is aluminium.

If you prefer Gun Metal, you can use the old Micro Seiki AX "G" Versions, which will fit AF3 and AF5

lscangus

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2018
yes, it is aluminium.

If you prefer Gun Metal, you can use the old Micro Seiki AX "G" Versions, which will fit AF3 and AF5
thank you for your tip! Just wondering which arm base should i get if i am looking at fitting the 4point 11 to my AF5?

Or anyone have the drawing of the setting out of the 4 pillars of the AF3 / 5

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
thank you for your tip! Just wondering which arm base should i get if i am looking at fitting the 4point 11 to my AF5?

Or anyone have the drawing of the setting out of the 4 pillars of the AF3 / 5
The Linn / Kuzma / Jelco standard was not yet established / popular in the times of Micro Seiki, so no dedicated base does exist.

In italy a company is producing matching bases, you may ask them for help:

or just order from TechDAS :)

lscangus

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2018
The Linn / Kuzma / Jelco standard was not yet established / popular in the times of Micro Seiki, so no dedicated base does exist.

In italy a company is producing matching bases, you may ask them for help:

or just order from TechDAS :)
I am very keen to get info about the setting out. All i need is the distance between the spindle and the circular column support on the Airforce. That case, i can just draw the part out and CNC it out.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing