Techdas AF3P issue

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
I took delivery of a new Techdas AF3P just before CNY. Noticed that the transport bolts were yanked from the power supply / pump unit upon receipt. Reported to my dealer and was told to try it anyway. I was surprised that the unit still worked and was total silent / no vibration on the touch. Set up & things were running.

A couple of weeks ago, I mounted a Phasemation PP2000 (see other thread) and noticed a low undulating hum when the needle hit a spinign record. I thought it was the cartridge but realised that this 'hum' was the result of the vibration transmitted by the TT motor to the chassis to the armbase to the arm and to the cart.

So, upon further checking, noticed that the power supply / pump unit is also vibrating where it was totally silent in earlier months. The TT motor unit is also vibrating.

Has anyone experienced this ? Under normal operation, the TT motor unit should be vibration free right ? The power supply / pump unit should also be free of vibration right ? I am worried that the TT motor is defective or maybe the power supply / pump was already not to spec as a result of handling and slowly caused the motor to be damaged.

Anyway, after moping around for a couple of days, I decided to installed the 'S' rubber feet to bring the AF3P to AF3P'S' spec. These feet with integral very compliant rubber compound is a revelation. Vibration to the chassis of the TT is very much reduced. No more hum from the PP2000 cart. However, the TT motor & power supply unit / pump still vibrate. Chasing my dealer ...

Reactions: BillK

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Even with my AF5 I felt the pump/PSU was totally silent and vibration free. Certainly had no hum issues with any cartridges. Did you take the cover off and look inside?

TLi

May 27, 2016
The power supply and pump unit contains two motors for the float and vacuum.

The motors rotate pistons to move air. There will be some vibrations. It should not affect the tonearm.

The motor should not vibrate if it is setup correctly. I suggest you check the horizontal level and belt tension. Try to keep the tension of the belt as low as possible, it should reduce the vibration

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I think the compressor unit is damaged. IMHO the reason for that is shipping the unit without transport screws on. it will start to make noise and eventually reach to a point it could no longer lift the platter. the compressor/power supply unit should be changed with a new one. same will apply if the motor unit is shipped without transport screws too but motor unit is less prone to damage.

Last edited:

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Gents,

Thanks for your insights. I think it is clear that the power supply / pump unit has deteriorated due the issue resulting from transportation. I am unaware that there are transport screws for the motor unit. Will have to have a look. Already adjusted such that the belt is more loose therefore taking longer to stabilize to required speed. Platter seems to be floating without any ill effect when powered on though.

thekong

May 10, 2012
I am not familiar with the Techdas, but if they are similar to the Micro in arrangement, you may want to stop playing the turntable until the issue is solved! If the pump unit suddenly stop working when the platter is still turning, it may cause the platter to crash down on the bearing and damage it! Just a friendly reminder

Reactions: mtemur

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
So glad I bought a Kuzma XL DC and not a Techdas that have all of these additional components that can go wrong !

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
What has the Australian distributor said?

They are outstanding and will fix the issue.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
So glad I bought a Kuzma XL DC and not a Techdas that have all of these additional components that can go wrong !
I have AFO for abt 9/10 years. always on standby & not a hint of problem . How is that for reliability , Met Nishikawa when he was in Msia . Spoke thru translator. Until today , the translator still response to my email when I have any question . Thats 1st class Customer Service .

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Any turntable can be damaged in shipping.
For sure.

The Kuzma XL DC has a much lower risk though of shipping damage due to it's manufacturers superb packaging, fantastic robust & solid design and solid high build quality.

• Haha
Reactions: djsina2

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
What type of solution do you expect from a forum?

If you want to solve a potential AF3P issue, the local distributor should be involved.
the distributor than will involve the manufacturer, if appropriate.

I believe, that your situation can be cleared soon with their professional help.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Before we let this get out of hand, My dealer & factory has always been very supportive and responsive. I am seeking advice from my fellow enthusiasts on your experience. No knocking on factory or dealer on my part if I was not clear prior.

Anyway, my dealer just informed me that the new power supply / vacuum unit will be shipped next week. Once I install the replacement unit, then we will study the motor situation.

Reactions: XV-1

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Anyway, my dealer just informed me that the new power supply / vacuum unit will be shipped next week. Once I install the replacement unit, then we will study the motor situation.
This is, what I would expect as service and which has happened to one AF3P owner in Germany as Service as well.

Sometimes the most easiest way to find a potential failure is just exchange with a proofed part and compare.

lscangus

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2018
I took delivery of a new Techdas AF3P just before CNY. Noticed that the transport bolts were yanked from the power supply / pump unit upon receipt. Reported to my dealer and was told to try it anyway. I was surprised that the unit still worked and was total silent / no vibration on the touch. Set up & things were running.

A couple of weeks ago, I mounted a Phasemation PP2000 (see other thread) and noticed a low undulating hum when the needle hit a spinign record. I thought it was the cartridge but realised that this 'hum' was the result of the vibration transmitted by the TT motor to the chassis to the armbase to the arm and to the cart.

So, upon further checking, noticed that the power supply / pump unit is also vibrating where it was totally silent in earlier months. The TT motor unit is also vibrating.

Has anyone experienced this ? Under normal operation, the TT motor unit should be vibration free right ? The power supply / pump unit should also be free of vibration right ? I am worried that the TT motor is defective or maybe the power supply / pump was already not to spec as a result of handling and slowly caused the motor to be damaged.

Anyway, after moping around for a couple of days, I decided to installed the 'S' rubber feet to bring the AF3P to AF3P'S' spec. These feet with integral very compliant rubber compound is a revelation. Vibration to the chassis of the TT is very much reduced. No more hum from the PP2000 cart. However, the TT motor & power supply unit / pump still vibrate. Chasing my dealer ...
I have the 3P and the 5P, both pumps does vibrate very faintly and if you put the pump and the TT on the same rack, a very slight faint low frequency can be picked up by the TT.

I am also considering the S upgrade for my 3P, from my understanding, similar feet design has been used on the 5P. How did you find them and how much you paid for the upgrade?

Reactions: joeling

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
The S upgrade makes a huge difference in terms of vibration damping. As mentioned either in this thread or another that my Phasemation PP2000 was picking up vibration from the motor & translating to noise at the speakers. With the S feet installed, the noise was no longer audible. Very expensive for 4 rubber feet though. Could have been nearly USD2k.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
how much you paid for the upgrade?
price in Germany is around 2500,- eur incl VAT.
Very expensive for 4 rubber feet though.
to my knowledge, this is not rubber, but a GEL filling in a dedicated frequency range.
The feets do have a Delrin part as well.

This feels will fit the former AF3 as well.

1673341251214.png

Reactions: joeling

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
Any updates on any of this? Did the replacement components solve your issues?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm guessing the problem has been rectified by now. In my 10 years with TechDAS, they have never shipped out their products without the transport screws. These tables are packed with intense neatness. Their OC-ness is even more extreme than CH Precision and that is another bunch of guys obsessed with exactness. Every friggin bit of tape seems the same length and every tool and part baggy crisp and wrinkle free. M(^%*^%^%!!

One of the most stressful things is repacking our inventory after delivery inspection. It is impossible for me to get them looking fresh from the factory. Soooooo, I cheat. I make up for it by unboxing everything and installing everything for the customer myself. That way they never see my poor repacking skills. LOL

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing