SVS SB-13 Ultras Subwoofer review

Lefisc

Jul 13, 2013
In giving a full review to an audio/video product, I realize that there are many helpful professional reviews out there, even ones that helped me make my decision. I tailor my reviews to that as a customer, not a technical adviser.

I bought a pair of SVS SB-13 Ultras to replace my single, Thiel SB3, which I had for 8 or so years. And I will use the subs for the home theatre parts of my system, not audio. My Revel Salon II handles music very well.

I’ll be using it for:
Blue Ray movies:
DVD Movies:
Baseball and Sports on TV
Cable Movies
TV shows.

First, these were the first major audio or video product that I bought sight unseen and sound unheard because of the very good reviews from people I trust. Also SVS offers a great 45 day, no questions ask return policy. Also, I spoke to ED M. of SVS who gave me very good advice. He also, when I got the subwoofers, helped me with the room EQ. His advice was different from the Krell automatic set up and, frankly, was simple to do and was better than the Krells.

So this was a safe and easy purchase. That was very important. I also used single ended connections, not balanced.

The units are heavy, about one hundred pounds each. But once placed them on my carpeted sound room (I tipped the Fed ex guy), it took little effort to get them out of the box and glide them across the floor. With Ed’s suggestion I used a sound meter and setup, after the units were in place, took 15-20 minutes. That’s all.

But let’s get down to it. How good did things sound and, for me, what was the difference between using one or two subs.

Blue Ray movies:
Wow. I used to have booming bass that made the room shake but was never detailed or directional. That all changed. The first thing that I noticed was that the dialogue and sound from the center channel was so much improved. Trains, planes and explosives always seemed to be rather centered, now they were very directional. Every sound was better and more distinct. And I didn’t get into sub-woofer “headache” territory, where you just wanted to lower it. This gets the highest rating I can give. Of particular interest were the details I heard for the very first time when Krypton blows up in Superman (1978)

Movie dialogue is far clearer, the movie, music is so much better. The Thiel was either invisible, when I made the volume low, or dominating. These subs complement the sound. On Superman (1978) I couldn’t believe the difference. I was hearing details that I never remembered hearing before. And when a train went from right to left and heard and felt that. With the Thiels I just got a universal rumble. I put on a few blu-rays just to check it out and I loved the lack of boom, yet it was still forceful. I am impressed. Of course DVD sound is not as good or full as blu ray. In some ways then, the sub-woofer does more work by making the sounds more dominate, distinct and full. Here also the movie music was just better.

I found it was best to raise the bass level one or two dbs when watching a movie on cable TV (Version). What stand out the best, again, is the deep music. There are scenes in “Women in Black” (2012) where there was just deep quiet then growing, creepy music that just sounded great and creepy.

For me the regular TV shows were better because of what wasn’t there. That is, they do not have great sound effects and music to begin with, but what they had was clearer. And as good as the subs were they could not help the Yankees score runs last week.

There are many people, like me, who have wondered whether to get one or two subs. There is no question to me now that two are just plain better on every level.

Oh, and while I thought I would NOT use them for music, I did connect my five channel output from my Cipher and loved the sound of the bass in the jazz recordings I put on.

I can find no real downside to these subs although professional reviews must. The biggest complement: I would recommend these to my friends with any reservations whatsoever.

Lefisc

Jul 13, 2013
Thank you, that means a lot!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing