Suspended ceiling or bare ceiling

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Hi David thanks for your valuable inputs, it makes sense to me and I now have a clearer mind of what to do next. I listen to jazz mainly, plucking of bass guitar at certain frequency will makes my ceiling board buzzing, quite irritating actually. My room is too messy to share here but I have a floor plan showing my setup. I have thick drop down curtain on left / right / rear of speakers, a rugs between me and speakers. No ducting above my ceiling board. I agree with you, I don't like my room to have many panels sticking here and there.
Will tear down my ceiling next week.
You would do well to educate yourself a little on the subject - see for example: http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/room-setup-speaker-placement/

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
There's no place he can move them that will eliminate the bass pressure buildup in the corners and the impact that has on an untreated room
Unlike you I'm not at all fine recommending thousands of dollars of this stuff to anyone without even asking a single question and clueless about the space and what they want accomplish!

There's really no reason to argue with me, not my room nor my decision.

david

Reactions: trekpilot

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Unlike you I'm not at all fine recommending thousands of dollars of this stuff to anyone without even asking a single question and clueless about the space and what they want accomplish!

There's really no reason to argue with me, not my room nor my decision.

david
Wasn't aware that expressing a contrary opinion constituted an argument. Note that while the ZR panels are expensive, the GIK he could do an initial deployment of for hundreds - not thousands of dollars. Note also that I am making the recommendations I made based on the same information about his space that you've based your posts recommending that he do essentially nothing on. Be all of that as it may my last posted recommendation to LR319 was that he look at a site like Arqen and educate himself a little with regard to room acoustics since he is the only one with direct experience with the room. Your view and mine of the purpose and benefit of an audiophile forum like this one may differ. From my perspective it is to share and learn from the experiences of other audiophiles. So when someone asks for advice my instinct is to share technical knowledge/experience, not to try to save them money. People will figure out for themselves what they can spend.

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Wasn't aware that expressing a contrary opinion constituted an argument. And note that I am making the recommendations I made based on the same information about his space that you've based your posts recommending that he do essentially nothing on. Be that as it may my last posted recommendation to LR319 was that he look at site like Arqen and educate himself a little with regard to room acoustics since he is the only one with direct experience with the room.
Call it a discussion, I'm totally up for anyone offering opinions I only wanted to clarify that it's not me that you need to convince.

You did recommend specific treatment starting with post #8.

Your link is very specific to a small/home mastering setup and small studio monitors personally I don't see the relevance, but again it's not my call.

david

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Call it a discussion, I'm totally up for anyone offering opinions I only wanted to clarify that it's not me that you need to convince.

You did recommend specific treatment starting with post #8.

Your link is very specific to a small/home mastering setup and small studio monitors personally I don't see the relevance, but again it's not my call.

david
If you look at the whole site Arqen addresses every aspect of room acoustics - applicable broadly, not just to small studios/monitors. However you did say that LR319 would be sitting "near field" so the small room discussion may have some specific relevance.

LR319

May 7, 2019
A big thank you to both David and Cellcbern, you both given me good pointers and informations to tackle my problem. There is only one way to find out, I will tear down the suspended ceiling, listen for a week or so, if it get worse then I will call a acoustic panel vendor to demo see how they can help. For sure I won't have buzzing ceiling when bass guitar in play. Will post my outcome when it's done.

Reactions: dbeau

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Call a expert like Dennis Foley. Why throw away an opportunity to do it right. Then screw it up even worse shooting blind. It amazes me how so many people ignore engaging a pro for major impactful modifications.

Reactions: Gregadd and HughP3

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing