Surge protection for home theater

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
The electrician wiring my home theater wants to install a $500 Leviton surge suppressor with the sub panel for the room. Does anyone have any experience with these products and/or have any advice for protection in this price range? I'm concerned about current throughput, as I have a Krell EV403 and 2 Krell S-1500/4 amplifiers that will be part of the electronics fed from this panel.

I believe this is the model:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=42120-1&section=39955&minisite=10251

Thanks,

Lee

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I clicked through the link and the technology is just a 40mm MOV - a metal oxide varistor. This is simply a voltage dependent resistor that has a non-linear resistance with respect to voltage. It will be placed across the power line, and if the voltage goes up, it shunts the voltage to ground. They don't act fast enough to protect your gear. It can protect against transient over voltage and because it is a shunt in parallel with the circuit, should not affect current throughput.

Inside the $498 box, with monitoring circuits, etc. the essential technology is probably something like this:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...=sGAEpiMZZMuQmL5N8IqpX9t3hi1gkmAI4y77t4MRwwQ=

They are useful for protecting against lightning strikes (not a direct strike though), but they don't do anything against spikes. Only surges. It's the spikes that hurt your sensitive electronic gear.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
While $500 seems a bit pricy, the Leviton unit is very adequate to do the protection job. But the unit should be placed at the home's service entrance.
For audio system only protection, consider the even more pricey Series Mode Surge Protectors. Some manufacturers of series mode surge suppressors are listed below:
Brick Wall
ZeroSurge
SurgeX

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
So, I guess the pertinent question is: Do I tell the electrician to forget the Leviton? The room budget will simply not handle anything much more, so more expensive options are out for now. Is this unit better than nothing, and will do no harm, etc.?

Lee

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
When placed at the service entrance (where power comes in to the house from the street), it should do no harm. $500 sounds pricey to me for what it is, but it's cheap insurance against power surges. However, being a parallel protector, if the surge is big enough it will blow the MOV, then it will be big enough to blow up everything in the house. Fast acting circuit breakers are also a must. I would use RCBOs for the sensitive circuits at least. Not sure if they are code or available in the US....

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I have a similar unit but IIRC it was about $300 for that plus a lightning arrestor installed. Of course that was about 20 years ago... We have had some very close strikes and many small power surges and no failures. I would go for it.

One thing about MOV's is that they do degrade as they are activated. Cheap ones only last a time or two; the good ones will work for years. Not sure what bandwidth you're considering Gary? The MOV's are decently fast though no match for some nastier spikes. However, the input transformer in your equipment will filter most of that if it gets that far.

A direct lightning strike is going to destroy things. Something that travels for miles is not going to be slowed much by a MOV or even a small spark-gap suppressor. But, nothing in our house was damaged (except my nerves) when a tree was hit about 50' from the house.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing