Suggested Cocktail Recipes

soliver

Apr 11, 2017
Austin, TX
I am a bit of an aficionado of good cocktails, but when I find a good drink at a restaurant, I will visit as many times as it takes me to get the recipe. Whether that is telling me or me having to just watch critically, thankfully must bartenders are willing to give out the info after some friendly banter though. So I would love for this thread to be a dumping spot of people’s favorite cocktail recipes. Mine are mostly going to be detailed recipes of some classics with a few twists thrown in. They are copies of what I keep in my Notes on my iPhone, so I can view them anywhere, and lastly most include the recommended booze as that is what the recipe was built around.

soliver

Apr 11, 2017
Austin, TX
I live in Austin, TX where apparently the Mexican Martini was invented

1.5 oz good tequila (Tequila Ocho, Fortaleza)
1 oz fresh lime juice
3/4 - 1 oz grand marnier
1/2 oz olive brine juice
1/4 oz agave nectar

Salt rim of martini glass, garnish with 2-3 olives on pick. Serve in a martini glass.

This makes the best Mexican Martini I’ve had, it is based on my own experimentation off the best Margarita I’ve had

Fonda San Miguel is a very famous interior Mexican restaurant in Austin, and while I was still searching for the perfect Margarita, I was blown away by their recipe.

1.5 - 2 oz good tequila (Tequila Ocho, Fortaleza)
1 oz fresh lime juice
3/4 - 1 oz grand marnier
1/4 oz agave nectar

Shake with ice for 30 seconds, dump and garnish with lime wheel.
the shaking for 30 seconds is important for both dilution, and if you shake hard enough it creates a lovely foam.

Reactions: KeithR

soliver

Apr 11, 2017
Austin, TX
This recipe was developed by a local bartender, and my favorite local liquor store posted it for a week. They initially suggested any old Anejo tequila, with a preference for a local Tequila called 512. However after trying various tequilas, my favorite is below:

Jovita Idar

1.5 oz Anejo tequila (Codigo 1530)
0.5 oz Campari
0.5 oz Ancho Reyes
10 dashes Xocolatl Mole Bittemen bitters
Stir in ice, strain into chilled martini glass
Garnish with orange peel
Goes nice with chocolate as well

Codigo 1530 Anejo is so rich compared to many, it’s highly recommended, I stock a bottle for just this drink.

Last edited:

soliver

Apr 11, 2017
Austin, TX
So this one used to be on the menu at a local hotspot, Eberly, to do it right you should pick up one of those olive oil spritzers from Bed Bath and Beyond for like $10, so as to better coat your glass with the smoky scotch.

This drink when done right is perfection, such a beautiful balance between smoke and maple. FYI I always do 1oz of the Bourbon even though the bartenders gave me the range, the amount in the glass is better with 1oz. Also a warning, if you try to substitute liquors, it may not be the same. Good news is that Old Overholt and Old Forester are cheap.

Smokin’ Barrel
from Eberly

1.5 oz Old Overholt or Dickel rye
0.5 - 1 oz Old Forester bourbon 86 proof
0.5 oz maple syrup
Dash or two of Angostura bitters
Spritz or wash out glass with Laphroaig or Ardbeg to leave a coating
Stir together in mixing glass, pour over large ice in prepped glass, garnish with lemon peel

Last edited:

soliver

Apr 11, 2017
Austin, TX
Morganthaler Daiquiri

2.5oz El Dorado aged rum (12yr is recommended)
0.75oz lime juice
0.5oz rich simple syrup

Shake with ice
Double strain into coupe glass
Garnish with lime wheel

Jeffrey Morganthaler is a famous bartender. This is an elevated rum daiquiri, because it is intentionally using aged rum and a 2:1 simple syrup. Personally, I make the syrup closer to a 1.5:1, so it is more universal.

Last edited:

soliver

Apr 11, 2017
Austin, TX
Alright this recipe is available at Perry’s Steakhouse, it is a little bit of a tricky drink because you really have to have the particular garnish for the rim and tequila, otherwise the balance is way off.

Dekuyper O3 is not necessary, but thankfully it is way cheaper than Grand Marnier or Cointreau.

Smoky Rita
from Perry’s Steakhouse

Rim half the glass with Habanero sugar mini crystals from Fresh Origins

2 oz Sauza Hornitos Black Barrel
.5 oz Dekuyper O3
.75 oz agave nectar
.5 oz simple syrup
1.5 oz lime juice

Shake for at least 20 seconds, strain into glass

Garnish with grilled lime slice

i don’t have a grill so I use dehydrated limes from a.k.a. Mixology. Also the Fresh Origins Habanero sugar crystals are not easy to find. I ordered mine from some company that sells edible flowers to restaurant, even though my local Perry’s to,d me they sourced them from Spec’s, a big liquor store chain. They don’t sell it at Spec’s and no attendant knew what I was talking about when I asked

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
The Mexican Martini...I remember or don’t remember Trudy‘s Mexican martini. You could have 2 and were cutoff. Good times

Reactions: Ovenmitt

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
The Mexican Martini...I remember or don’t remember Trudy‘s Mexican martini. You could have 2 and were cutoff. Good times

I remember drinking these back in the day. I was once banned from Trudy’s for a few weeks when they cut me off at the downstairs bar and I went in to the upstairs bar and ordered a third drink..... Busted! Don’t come back. Then the manager slipped me his card with a note that was good for a free drink, LOL. Good times indeed.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
So this one used to be on the menu at a local hotspot, Eberly, to do it right you should pick up one of those olive oil spritzers from Bed Bath and Beyond for like $10, so as to better coat your glass with the smoky scotch.

This drink when done right is perfection, such a beautiful balance between smoke and maple. FYI I always do 1oz of the Bourbon even though the bartenders gave me the range, the amount in the glass is better with 1oz. Also a warning, if you try to substitute liquors, it may not be the same. Good news is that Old Overholt and Old Forester are cheap.

Smokin’ Barrel
from Eberly

1.5 oz Old Overholt or Dickel rye
0.5 - 1 oz Old Forester bourbon 86 proof
0.5 oz maple syrup
Dash or two of Angostura bitters
Spritz or wash out glass with Laphroaig or Ardbeg to leave a coating
Stir together in mixing glass, pour over large ice in prepped glass, garnish with lemon peel

this one is VERY good!

soliver

Apr 11, 2017
Austin, TX
Thanks for link, I had not heard of those cherries, but they look worth a try. I use Luxardo cherries.

I love Manhattan's, probably drink those or an Old-Fashioned 80% of the time. I am particular on my sweet vermouth, currently working through a bottle of Dolin, but after 2-3 years of using exclusively only Carpano Antica or Cocchi Vermouth di Torino, I can say those 2 make a much better Manhattan than Dolin.

Manhattan

2 oz Rye Whiskey (personal favs - Whistlepig 10yr, Pikesville)
1 oz sweet vermouth (Carpano or Cocchi)
1-2 dashes orange bitter (Fee's or Regan's No.6)
2-3 dashes Angustura bitters

Stir in mixing glass over ice. Strain into chilled coupe or over big cube in double old-fashioned glass.
Preferably using clear ice.
Garnish with a Luxardo cherry.

I have tried quite a few bitters, so far the above combo is my fav, only other bitter I like in place of both is Bittermen's Transatlantic 10 drops.
IMG_0088.JPG
IMG_0750.JPG

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Classic,
2 Mexican martinis...cutoff
1 Mexican martini, 8 shots quervo gold(ugh), 1 Mexican martini and close out...totally fine

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing