Subwoofers vs Bass Traps

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
As I mentioned in the other thread, no computer and no dac. My goal is to have an intelligent conversation with the installer and to keep him honest.

Hello Caesar
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I see you were on a bit of a quest for perfect bass and I wondered how you got on?
Did you go for subs, bass traps, both or something else?
Thank you for your input
Gavin

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hello Caesar
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I see you were on a bit of a quest for perfect bass and I wondered how you got on?
Did you go for subs, bass traps, both or something else?
Thank you for your input
Gavin

Hi Infinitely,
Only bass traps in the corners rights now - no subs yet. Bass traps make a HUGE difference...as long as they are ONLY in the corners so that they don't make your room too dead, one of the best upgrades anyone can make regardless of price

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Hi Infinitely,
Only bass traps in the corners rights now - no subs yet. Bass traps make a HUGE difference...as long as they are ONLY in the corners so that they don't make your room too dead, one of the best upgrades anyone can make regardless of price

Very, very interesting.....currently the only 'treatment' I have is heavy kickbags in the corners behind my speakers, my versions of bass traps.
Did you go with the ASC tube traps?
I suspect it would be easy to improve on my diy efforts
Thank you for your help :)

caesar

May 30, 2010
Very, very interesting.....currently the only 'treatment' I have is heavy kickbags in the corners behind my speakers, my versions of bass traps.
Did you go with the ASC tube traps?
I suspect it would be easy to improve on my diy efforts
Thank you for your help :)

I have mostly GIK, but if you can afford- and home situation allows- a combination of ASC for bass trapping with SMT for diffusion would be the ideal option.

You can run a "quick" experiment by throwing some insulation bales from Home Depot in as many wall / floor corners as you can (return them later). Obviously, ASC or GIK/ real traps products would kill the insulation bales, but you will get a sense of what bass traps can do for you. Just make sure you get a whole bunch of them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing