Otari MTR-90: +2/-9 dB 20 Hz - 20 KHz
Studer A820: +1.5/-? dB 20 Hz - 20 KHz
Studer A827: +1/-5 dB 20 Hz - 20 KHz
Studer A80 Mk II: +2/-3 dB 20 Hz - 20 KHz
Tascam MS-16: +2/-9 dB 20 Hz - 20 KHz
Tascam ATR60-16: +1.5/-8 dB 20 Hz - 20 KHz
Ampex MM1200: +-4 dB 20 Hz - 20 KHz
Otari MX-80: +1.5/-2 dB 20 Hz - 20 KHz.

So you want to put forth facts? Which Studer A820 is it? I see you have 2 there, but there were many versions.... same with the A80MkII... is that the VU or RC or QC or what?? I have clearly bested these figures in my testing of these machines. I have the graphs to prove it posted somewhere on this forum.

I think Mike has you on this. Anyone can look up specs, which is clearly where you got these from. I have run tests on the actual machines and have posted my measurements.... have you. On top of that, I have worked with these machines for decades, listening critically to each one.
I was also the first (and only) mastering studio in the PNW to use DSD, so I'm not anti analog or digital.
Julf, we appreciate you participating in the forum, but unless you have worked with both formats on a daily basis, all you bring in anecdotal evidence. Hardware technology changes almost weekly and unless you're constantly keeping track of this and using it in your own system, your ship many have sailed! Even hardware builders listen/tweak their products beyond specifications!

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Anyone can look up specs, which is clearly where you got these from.

No, I got them from the document posted by Myles. I was simply pointing out that instead of proving his point, it actually supported my point.

I have run tests on the actual machines and have posted my measurements.... have you.

No, I haven't. What is the best SNR you have seen out of a 1/4" tape unit?

Julf, we appreciate you participating in the forum, but unless you have worked with both formats on a daily basis, all you bring in anecdotal evidence. Hardware technology changes almost weekly and unless you're constantly keeping track of this and using it in your own system, your ship many have sailed! Even hardware builders listen/tweak their products beyond specifications!

How much has analog tape technology changed over the last 10 years? I am definitely aware of the fact that I haven't done much anything with analog tape since the 90's. Still have a couple of decent decks, but they don't get much use any more.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
No, I haven't. What is the best SNR you have seen out of a 1/4" tape unit?
How much has analog tape technology changed over the last 10 years? I am definitely aware of the fact that I haven't done much anything with analog tape since the 90's. Still have a couple of decent decks, but they don't get much use any more.

I've gotten almost 91dB with the new tape units using the new formulation of RMGI SM900 tape.
There have been several companies that have produced new tape pre units. I have some of the quietest made (Doshi Audio). Charlie King has a great pre as well and there are other manufacturers coming on line with new tape units.
Tape formulations have improved greatly since the 90's.

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
unless you have worked with both formats on a daily basis, all you bring in anecdotal evidence.

Even if you have worked with both formats on a daily basis, unless you provide independently verified measurement results or references to verified sources, it is still technically "anecdotal evidence", as in "because I say so (based on my daily work experience)".

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
I've gotten almost 91dB with the new tape units using the new formulation of RMGI SM900 tape.

That is an excellent result - only 6 dB from that of un-dithered 16 bit digital.

Tape formulations have improved greatly since the 90's.

Good to know! Thanks!

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Even if you have worked with both formats on a daily basis, unless you provide independently verified measurement results or references to verified sources, it is still technically "anecdotal evidence", as in "because I say so (based on my daily work experience)".

The tests and mastering work I do is heard and scrutinized by hundreds of thousands of folks everyday. I see and hear the comments of my work on forums (CA ring a bell?), at shows and by reviewers all the time!

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
The tests and mastering work I do is heard and scrutinized by hundreds of thousands of folks everyday. I see and hear the comments of my work on forums (CA ring a bell?), at shows and by reviewers all the time!

I don't think anyone here has any doubts about the quality of your mastering work. But when you say "I've gotten almost 91dB with the new tape units using the new formulation of RMGI SM900 tape", there is no practical way we can verify that independently without measuring it ourselves. Don't get me wrong - I am definitely not doubting your statements, but purely formally, your statement is still "anecdotal evidence", in the sense of "information passed along by word-of-mouth but not documented scientifically".

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I don't think anyone here has any doubts about the quality of your mastering work. But when you say "I've gotten almost 91dB with the new tape units using the new formulation of RMGI SM900 tape", there is no practical way we can verify that independently without measuring it ourselves. Don't get me wrong - I am definitely not doubting your statements, but purely formally, your statement is still "anecdotal evidence", in the sense of "information passed along by word-of-mouth but not documented scientifically".

I've posted tests here I've done with these machines and it has been scrutinized by EE's, so it's clearly not "anecdotal evidence". Short of sending the machines to a certified calibration house, which I don't think one even exists, the tests I do are more than sufficient! ;)

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
I've posted tests here I've done with these machines and it has been scrutinized by EE's, so it's clearly not "anecdotal evidence".

I agree - in that case it is definitely more than just anecdotal evidence. I was referring to the case where you simply made a statement about the SNR. I was not aware you had posted the test results. On the other hand, the frequency deviation values I posted were also from posted results, and they were actually re-posted here by Myles, not me.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks for proving my point.

And thanks for proving mine that you're incapable of reading a post.

Not only that, your Starmax-er -infinity at what 13 or 15K? We do know what happened in that era when designers decided to bandwidth limit gear too.

Technically no, despite posting actual technical facts on an audiophile forum might be regarded as a sign to the contrary.

Well you demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of what goes into the reviewing process.

Last edited:

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
And thanks for proving mine that you're incapable of reading a post.

Clearly. Would you mind explaining how so?

Not only that, your Starmax-er -infinity at what 13 or 15K?

I don't know how you read that chart - the way I read it, it is still +-0 at 15 K. Maybe you could explain what makes you think otherwise.

Well you demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of what goes into the reviewing process.

Indeed. I have to judge it by the results.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing