Streamer DAC for Tidal

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
So far I have auditioned:

Naim NSC222
Hifi Rose 150B
Cambridge Audio Edge NQ
Electrocompaniet ECM1 mk2

Nothing great so far, any recommendations?

Cheers!
Rex

Last edited:

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Tried the Cambridge Audio EVO 150, its class D power amp stage is pretty bad but used as a pre into Cambridge Edge W power amp it sounded pretty good!

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Unfortunately no Auralic dealers near me, will check out Lumin, although I have found them overly smooth in the past.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Recently announced, but not yet available (nor yet reviewed), but perhaps worth investigating if you keep an open mind regarding branding, the NAD M66 ticks all my required boxes on paper - and a lot more if I was into vinyl.

I'm wanting to upgrade my digital front end and have a short list of contenders, including some you list, but I certainly won't make a decision until I've seen and heard the M66.

Reactions: wrxsti and Rexp

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Listened to the Eversolo DMP A6 Master Edition and TEAC UD701N today.

The TEAC is a definite contender, although their app is quite poor and as usual Tidal Connect sounds bad. Roon is an option that I wasn't able to test.

J007B

Jul 25, 2020
You might want to check out a Gold Note DS-10. I’ve heard it a couple of times and thought it had bang for the buc.

Reactions: Rexp

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Heard an Aavik S280 today, didn't sound great, although it was via an Aavik C280/P280 pre/pwr which is Class D...

Other thing to note, I did prefer the Aavik app to Roon, which seemed to screw with the imaging.

I wanted to try Aavik after seeing the video below which I thought was using their Streamer DAC but on closer inspection looks like a Linn Streamer DAC is the source, fyi @Mike Lavigne

Last edited:

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Heard the following yesterday:

Cocktail Audio X50D streamer into Luxman D-03x CD player/DAC via USB. Sound lacked emotion with Nina Simone's 'Stars (live)'.

Auralic Aries G2.2 streamer into Vega 2.2 DAC. Sounded a tad processed.

Cyrus Classic Stream. Sounded good! Even made normally harsh albums like ' Walter Smith III - Live in Paris' sound listenable.
Need to go back and listen again in a more highly resolving system than the entry level Cyrus amp and Fyne speakers they paired it with.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing