Statins May Make You Tired

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By MyHealthNewsDaily Staff | LiveScience.com – Tue, Jun 12, 2012

Some people who take statins may find themselves feeling more tired than usual, a new study suggests.
In the study, people taking the cholesterol-lowering drugs were more likely to experience decreased energy, fatigue during exercise, or both, compared with those not taking statins.
The side effect of increased fatigue should be taken into account when doctors weigh the risks and benefits of prescribing the drugs for a particular patient, the researchers said.
"Energy is central to quality of life. It also predicts interest in activity," said study researcher Dr. Beatrice Golomb, an associate professor of medicine at University of California San Diego School of Medicine.
Some patients have reported fatigue or a decreased ability to exercise when taking statins, but researchers had not studied the issue rigorously.
In the new study, Golomb and colleagues analyzed information from 1,000 adults in San Diego. Participants were randomly assigned to take statins at a relatively low potency — they took either 40 milligrams the drug pravastatin (known by the brand name Pravachol), 20 mg of simvastatin (Zocor) or a placebo.
Neither the participants nor the researchers knew which treatment the participant had received. Participants rated their energy, and their fatigue while exerting themselves, relative to before they were placed on the drugs, on a scale from "much worse" to "much better."
Those placed on statins were significantly more likely than those taking the placebo to report worsening in energy, fatigue with exertion, or both.
The effect appeared to be stronger with simvastatin.
Four of 10 women treated with simvastatin cited worsened energy or exertion fatigue, and two in 10 cited worsening in both, or rated either one as "much worse," the researchers said.
"Side effects of statins generally rise with increasing dose, and these doses were modest by current standards," Golomb said. "Yet occurrence of this problem was not rare — even at these doses, and particularly in women."
The study is published in the June 11 issue of Archives of Internal Medicine.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
By MyHealthNewsDaily Staff | LiveScience.com – Tue, Jun 12, 2012

Some people who take statins may find themselves feeling more tired than usual, a new study suggests.
In the study, people taking the cholesterol-lowering drugs were more likely to experience decreased energy, fatigue during exercise, or both, compared with those not taking statins.
The side effect of increased fatigue should be taken into account when doctors weigh the risks and benefits of prescribing the drugs for a particular patient, the researchers said.
"Energy is central to quality of life. It also predicts interest in activity," said study researcher Dr. Beatrice Golomb, an associate professor of medicine at University of California San Diego School of Medicine.
Some patients have reported fatigue or a decreased ability to exercise when taking statins, but researchers had not studied the issue rigorously.
In the new study, Golomb and colleagues analyzed information from 1,000 adults in San Diego. Participants were randomly assigned to take statins at a relatively low potency — they took either 40 milligrams the drug pravastatin (known by the brand name Pravachol), 20 mg of simvastatin (Zocor) or a placebo.
Neither the participants nor the researchers knew which treatment the participant had received. Participants rated their energy, and their fatigue while exerting themselves, relative to before they were placed on the drugs, on a scale from "much worse" to "much better."
Those placed on statins were significantly more likely than those taking the placebo to report worsening in energy, fatigue with exertion, or both.
The effect appeared to be stronger with simvastatin.
Four of 10 women treated with simvastatin cited worsened energy or exertion fatigue, and two in 10 cited worsening in both, or rated either one as "much worse," the researchers said.
"Side effects of statins generally rise with increasing dose, and these doses were modest by current standards," Golomb said. "Yet occurrence of this problem was not rare — even at these doses, and particularly in women."
The study is published in the June 11 issue of Archives of Internal Medicine.

You know it might be also related to the studies where it's been shown that statins also affect cortisol levels? Certainly these stress hormones have an effect on energy levels (and why statins can actually be a muscle building supplement since they aid in the natural cortisol response in remodeling tissue after mechanical stress!).

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Is that why they can also cause muscle ache

May be part of it. And why statins cause muscle sprains, strains, etc.

I'll try and find the article on statins and effect on muscles.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
If you do a search of the negative side affects of statin drugs, it can be over whelming. There are a lot of them. Here are a few:

Side Effects of Cholesterol Lowering Drugs
* Headache
* Insomnia
* Liver problems (not good)
* Abdominal pain
* Nausea
* Diarrhea
* Gas
* Skin rash
* Immune problems (not good)
* Hepatitis
* Rhabdomyolysis (can cause death)

The following url (the source for the above list) http://www.squidoo.com/statin-cholesterol-statindrugs will give you one view. My cholesterol was never high (165) but I was told I needed to take statins and did for a few years -- until I did the research. Scary stuff.

In addition to the above, if you want to know a lot about statin drugs (and how bad they really are), read "The Cholesterol Hoax" by Dr. Sherry Rodgers. You may not agree with her but she backs up all of her claims with proven studies performed and documented by many of the major medical journals. AND provides other non-chemical ways to deal with the issue.

If there are so many negative side-effects to these drugs, why are they still prescribed? It is called "money". If you do a search for the top selling cholesterol drug (starts with an "L") or the company who owns the patent (starts with a "P") you find that the top cholesterol drug has generated 10 - 12 BILLION in sales, every year, for the last 10 years with the company averaging 5 - 6 BILLION in net profits each of those years. Cholesterol-lowering drugs are the single largest business segment of the global pharmaceutical drug business. The global sales of the leading drug category – statins – have surpassed 200 billion dollars per year. Just google "negative affects of statin drugs"

Consider your self made aware. Please, please do the research. Her book is not the only source but it is the most scientifically substantiated.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
If you do a search of the negative side affects of statin drugs, it can be over whelming. There are a lot of them. Here are a few:

* Headache
* Insomnia
* Abdominal pain
* Nausea
* Diarrhea
* Gas
* Skin rash
* Hepatitis

The following url (the source for the above list) http://www.squidoo.com/statin-cholesterol-statindrugs will give you one view. My cholesterol was never high (165) but I was told I needed to take statins and did for a few years -- until I did the research. Scary stuff.

In addition to the above, if you want to know a lot about statin drugs (and how bad they really are), read "The Cholesterol Hoax" by Dr. Sherry Rodgers. You may not agree with her but she backs up all of her claims with proven studies performed and documented by many of the major medical journals. AND provides other non-chemical ways to deal with the issue.

If there are so many negative side-effects to these drugs, why are they still prescribed? It is called "money". If you do a search for the top selling cholesterol drug (starts with an "L") or the company who owns the patent (starts with a "P") you find that the top cholesterol drug has generated 10 - 12 BILLION in sales, every year, for the last 10 years with the company averaging 5 - 6 BILLION in net profits each of those years. Cholesterol-lowering drugs are the single largest business segment of the global pharmaceutical drug business. The global sales of the leading drug category – statins – have surpassed 200 billion dollars per year. Just google "negative affects of statin drugs"

Consider your self made aware. Please, please do the research. Her book is not the only source but it is the most scientifically substantiated.

Posted about that recently :)

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?6669-What-Does-This-Mean

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
It's a wonder an entire worldful of middle-aged men aren't lying around, exhausted, catching every passing bug and no longer able to control their bowels, I tell you.

Tim

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!

I am aware that i posted similar information. And if my repetition allows just one person to either not start or now quit taking statins, it will be worth it.

Myles: since i know you are very much into living a healthy life style, i highly recommend you read her book. And if after doing so you think you waisted either your time or money, i will be more than happy to refund whatever the book costs.

While you may not have any cholesterol issues, the book will open your eyes, I suspect, in other related areas!

Steve Williams

Chuck

honestly I can show you that a common aspirin has all of the same side effects as you post over and over re statins

As I have said to you before re this topic it is all about informed consent, to wit, benefits, risks, alternatives and complications

Being a physician for 44 years , knowing what I know (which on this topic as a physician it is safe to say more than you) as well as someone who has used a statin (Lipitor) for probably 10 years and who has never once had any of these aforementioned side effects will always pick the statin. But that is just one man's opinion

Again have a look at all of the side effects of aspirin and let's debate this once again :)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
My wife reads all kinds of alarming nonsense on the internet. The worry is probably going to kill her. Every time I forget something, it's the statins. I'm good with that, I don't want her to know I just wasn't listening to her. But I'm still taking my statins. When I stop, my cholesterol levels go up. When I take them, they stay safe. I'll take the unclogged arteries, thanks. Side effects? I can't even read them without a magnifying glass, but that's a different old guy problem...

Tim

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The really big question about statins is their use in (what is called) primary prevention. There is little doubt in my mind that their use in acute settings (stroke, heart attack, probably pulmonary embolism) and in secondary prevention (after an adverse thrombotic event) is life-saving and has overwhelming benefits compared to risks (including adverse effects AND cost); much much less clear is the risk/benefit ratio (to say nothing of the cost/benefit ratio) when used to lower cholesterol in someone who merely has high cholesterol, with or without other cardiovascular risk factors, who has never had a cardiovascular event.

Steve Williams

* Headache
* Insomnia
* Abdominal pain
* Nausea
* Diarrhea
* Gas
* Skin rash
* Hepatitis

Well as Woody Allen once said ..." I am not afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens."

Simply put, that the alternative as Tim says is silent ongoing CAD which can often result in sudden death

So for me, I will take mine once daily and have my blood tests done once a year a look into any abnormal test should they occur. I have had no abnormal symptoms and/or abnormal blood tests and my lipids which previously were high are all now well within normal limits. I don't understand why your doctor started you on it when cholesterol was normal unless he believed the drug could be given prophylactically; thus preventing CAD in his patients. It's not a fountain of youth drug but as Woody says, "I just don't want to be there when it happens" so for me it's diet, weight reduction, daily exercise and meds. It makes me sleep better at nights;)

BTW, I also should add family history should always play a part in a patient's decision to either use or not use statins

I am also a big believer in daily ASA 81 mg/day when there is a family history

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The really big question about statins is their use in (what is called) primary prevention. There is little doubt in my mind that their use in acute settings (stroke, heart attack, probably pulmonary embolism) and in secondary prevention (after an adverse thrombotic event) is life-saving and has overwhelming benefits compared to risks (including adverse effects AND cost); much much less clear is the risk/benefit ratio (to say nothing of the cost/benefit ratio) when used to lower cholesterol in someone who merely has high cholesterol, with or without other cardiovascular risk factors, who has never had a cardiovascular event.

If by "primary prevention" we mean prescribing statins to patients with elevated cholesterol levels to hopefully prevent their first cardiac event, I'm all for it. That's exactly why I take them. I'm not interested in waiting until after I've had a heart attack to take the drug that could have kept it from happening in the first place.

I wonder how many lives have been saved by statins? I wonder what the statistical drop in by-pass surgeries looks like since they became a common "primary prevention" treatment? I wonder how many lives have been lost because some dude got out his magnifying glass, read the typical, alarming list of side effects and wrote a blog? The daily denial of solid science that goes on around here is amusing, expensive at worst. This is just irresponsible. People could die for buying into this misinformation.

Tim

Steve Williams

when used to lower cholesterol in someone who merely has high cholesterol, with or without other cardiovascular risk factors, who has never had a cardiovascular event

rbbrt, you should have added one more word at the end of your sentence and that word is "yet"

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I am aware that i posted similar information. And if my repetition allows just one person to either not start or now quit taking statins, it will be worth it.

Myles: since i know you are very much into living a healthy life style, i highly recommend you read her book. And if after doing so you think you waisted either your time or money, i will be more than happy to refund whatever the book costs.

While you may not have any cholesterol issues, the book will open your eyes, I suspect, in other related areas!

Oh I'm quite aware of the controversy surrounding cholesterol :) I think one of the considerations is the size of the LDL/VLDL particles that are more prone to oxidation and possibly CHD. There are also those who believe that it's the ratio of inflammatory/non-inflammatory fats in our diet. Yet there are people who will argue that we need saturated fats and that things such as fish oil are actually bad for us since they rapidly oxidize (not that I agree :) ).

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
A key question when using statins for primary prevention is: do they work? Studies not funded by drug companies have produced conflicting results, perhaps partly because of non-uniformity of 1) at what level of LDL cholesterol should treatment be started and 2) what should be the goal level of LDL cholesterol with treatment. But even assuming that it does work, the cost per year of life saved (or extended) seems to about $400,000 for brand name Lipitor and about $50-100,000 for generic simvastatin.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I don't take aspirin and have not for a very long time.

Now one 81 mg aspirin/day seems to have more benefit at extending life than any statin, and at less than 0.01% of the cost.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing