SRX Vinyl 2019 Blue Note Reissues, total Audiophile P.O.SHIT!!

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
This is the only MM reissue of anything that I have and didn't even know that Classic had done some too, don't even think I bought more than a few of their titles in the past, why?

david

Then you are listening in an isolated world, without even an inkling that what you label, perhaps unfairly, as shit production values of the MM SRX reissues might be, in fact, a reflection of the original tape.

Reactions: dminches

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Then you are listening in an isolated world, without even an inkling that what you label, perhaps unfairly, as shit production values of the MM SRX reissues might be, in fact, a reflection of the original tape.

I know very well why and what I'm labeling as shit :)!

The things I've pointed out aren't subjective, they're objective! You can like what hear subjectively but what I mentioned is there. If they used a poor source it's on them too.

david

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I know very well what and why I'm labeling as shit :)!

The things I've pointed out aren't subjective, they're objective! You can like what hear subjectively but what I mentioned is there. If they used a poor source it's on them too.

david

FWIW, they are using the master tapes in just about every case. That's what was used for the original BN issues as well as a good majority of the reissues including Analogue Productions and Music Matters.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
FWIW, they are using the master tapes in just about every case. That's what was used for the original BN issues as well as a good majority of the reissues including Analogue Productions and Music Matters.

That means very little. When you record on tape they have "tones" aka EQ'd frequencies. So if you go straight from tape to vinyl, it'll sound horrific. You have to adjust for the tones. The problem is people didn't always write them down, and even worse the machines were often different so setting the tones to the written notes had limited viability to get the correct original mixing. Basically they have to start over every time unless they know the machine and notes from the original.

Reactions: bonzo75

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
That means very little. When you record on tape they have "tones" aka EQ'd frequencies. So if you go straight from tape to vinyl, it'll sound horrific. You have to adjust for the tones. The problem is people didn't always write them down, and even worse the machines were often different so setting the tones to the written notes had limited viability to get the correct original mixing. Basically they have to start over every time unless they know the machine and notes from the original.

Not sure why you responding with this information. I was just responding to the comment "maybe they used a bad source."

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

I have no idea about the tapes only how this lot was remastered and pressed and it's their responsibility to secure good masters if that's what you're trying to say.

david

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
I know very well why and what I'm labeling as shit :)!

david

So now what you hear is the basis for an objective assessment? Really?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Not sure why you responding with this information. I was just responding to the comment "maybe they used a bad source."

I'm just saying that "using the master tapes" isn't a guarantee of anything.

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
I have no idea about the tapes only how this lot was remastered and pressed and it's their responsibility to secure good masters if that's what you're trying to say.

david

It’s their responsibility to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I'm just saying that "using the master tapes" isn't a guarantee of anything.

Well, it is the best source to start with assuming it has deteriorated, which was my point. It isn't a guarantee that the finished product will be any good.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It’s their responsibility to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear?
First you argue with me about records you haven't heard and and now a master that you know nothing about. Why don't you first buy a couple of the SRX albums have a listen and then come back and point out where I'm wrong.

david

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I just listened to a couple to compare the 45 to the SRX. In the two randomly picked, I'm going to have to describe them as more similar than different.

First off, Lou Donaldson "Blues Walk" sounds very good on the SRX. I still get ambient cues, for example. Horace Silver "Song For My Father" sounds really similar between the two, with the SRX having a blacker background. I could *probably* pick them out in a blind A/B ... but I wouldn't bet on it.

So... thus far, with two random choices on quick compare, I can't call the SRX a piece of sh!t. @ddk - perhaps you might pick up a couple of the MM 45 and then see if you think the SRX is significantly worse. I don't, on the couple I tried. Maybe they are all garbage, then. But I don't think so there, either...

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
A few more quick back and forth compares:

Blues Walk (SRX vs Classic Records) - The CR [Bernie Grundman] is better, and the most different out of the rest. But I'm also a Bernie fanboy. What can I say. That said, the SRX isn't absent of ambient cues.

Introducing Johnny Griffin (SRX vs Japanese mono pressing by Kevin Gray at Cohearent) - Eh, flip a coin. The SRX is good.

Sonny Rollins Vol1 (SRX vs Japanese mono again) - SRX is good. Quiet. What's so bad about quiet vinyl again? Now I'm getting confused. ;-)

Song For My Father (SRX vs Music Matters 45) - Both solid. SRX a bit quieter. I'd take the MM45 over the SRX though, I do think. But I'm not falling out of my chair over the difference here.

Reactions: mountainjoe

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I just listened to a couple to compare the 45 to the SRX. In the two randomly picked, I'm going to have to describe them as more similar than different.

First off, Lou Donaldson "Blues Walk" sounds very good on the SRX. I still get ambient cues, for example. Horace Silver "Song For My Father" sounds really similar between the two, with the SRX having a blacker background. I could *probably* pick them out in a blind A/B ... but I wouldn't bet on it.

So... thus far, with two random choices on quick compare, I can't call the SRX a piece of sh!t. @ddk - perhaps you might pick up a couple of the MM 45 and then see if you think the SRX is significantly worse. I don't, on the couple I tried. Maybe they are all garbage, then. But I don't think so there, either...
Fair enough Brian, great if you like that type of sound.
david

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
A few more quick back and forth compares:

Blues Walk (SRX vs Classic Records) - The CR [Bernie Grundman] is better, and the most different out of the rest. But I'm also a Bernie fanboy. What can I say. That said, the SRX isn't absent of ambient cues.

I just received my SRX and have the Classic so I am going to do a comparison today.

Interestingly, I also own a stereo Blues Walk on 15ips 2 track reel. The sound stage is very nice with this since the congas are in one channel and the drums in the other. Makes for a nice presentation.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
@ddk it could be a case of not knowing what I'm missing. What is your baseline? Do you find the original pressings to be always better? What if the original mastering engineer did a poor job? In the case of the Blue Notes, it may not even matter given their cost. Most people just aren't going to be able to collect them, regardless. So if we want to listen to this music all, most of the time, we're going to choose a particular remaster.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Chill DDK

If I got as aggravated as you everytime I bought what I connsidered bum releases, I'd propbably be dead by now. I comfort myself with the thought that some kids with Croslesy are probably enjoying them without having to have paid full price to boot.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing