Spectral SDR3000 Transport

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
My understanding is that this transport was made to be used in conjunction with the SDR2000 DAC only. Has any one tried using it with any non-Spectral DAC's? If so, which one's and what were the sonic results? Thanks!

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area
My understanding is that this transport was made to be used in conjunction with the SDR2000 DAC only. Has any one tried using it with any non-Spectral DAC's? If so, which one's and what were the sonic results? Thanks!
I don't have this transport and have not tried it.

From a quick Google search, the Spectral site has this information:

All digital interfaces on the SDR-3000 have been carefully optimized to deliver the finest performance the interface standards allow. For this reason, the SDR-3000 can perform superbly with a variety of digital processors and interface cables. In addition to standard format direct digital outputs such as SPDIF coax and AES/EBU balanced, the SDR-3000 Transport supports Spectralink, which integrates data and clock communication between transport and processor. The unique Spectralink data interface cable (optional) incorporates both high-speed balanced data transmission and precision clock lines. This nine conductor system features flexible cable construction with instrumentation grade connectors and machined pin terminations. Internal construction combines advanced dielectrics and sophisticated shielding for exceptional data precision. The Spectralink cable also incorporates automatic programming to actuate the specialized Spectralink function in the SDR-3000 and isolate the other outputs.

What puzzles me is that it took less than 5 seconds to find this information. Was it hard to find, or somehow unclear?
Spectral description

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
What puzzles me is that it took less than 5 seconds to find this information. Was it hard to find, or somehow unclear?
Thank you for your well intentioned response...I have read this previously and it suggests that via SPDIF and AES/EBU it will work with other DAC's. However, I recently purchased a used SDR3000 and attached it to my Lampizator DAC. On light vocal and acoustic music it worked wonderfully but any music I played that had bass, drums, or pronounced low end caused severe distortion. On my behalf, a former Spectral dealer reached out to their tech person who told him that the 3000 was designed to only work with the 2000 and no other DAC's. That seems to contradict their own info. Further, they don't do repair on the 3000 as parts are unavailable. I thought I would reach out here at WBF and see what experience others might have. If you have anything else that might be of help I'm all ears...

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Thank you for your well intentioned response...I have read this previously and it suggests that via SPDIF and AES/EBU it will work with other DAC's. However, I recently purchased a used SDR3000 and attached it to my Lampizator DAC. On light vocal and acoustic music it worked wonderfully but any music I played that had bass, drums, or pronounced low end caused severe distortion. On my behalf, a former Spectral dealer reached out to their tech person who told him that the 3000 was designed to only work with the 2000 and no other DAC's. That seems to contradict their own info. Further, they don't do repair on the 3000 as parts are unavailable. I thought I would reach out here at WBF and see what experience others might have. If you have anything else that might be of help I'm all ears...
All I can suggest is try the SPDIF and EAS/ECU to find out if they behave the same. That is curious about the distortion since it outputs a digital signal. Do other transports work ok with the same connection and cable? Have you tried a different cable?

Just thinking out loud...

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
Yes, a Burmester 089 has no problem. It bypasses its own DAC and utilizes the Lampizator...

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Used it with a dCS Dac in the past. Did not do well there (ticks and pops). But it is not fair to attribute this to the 3000. Ditched the dcs and spectral long time ago. Pro for the 3000: ergonomics TOP. Clear display. loved it for that. That said, I would not buy one now> too old. As transports are not dead, one wonders why Spectral doesn’t produce a new one?!

Reactions: 2ndLiner

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

A friend used it on a Berkeley Alpha DAC and now, in the 3000SL form, uses it also on an Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC. For both DACs via AES/EBU. No problems there, and it sounds great.

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
I used 3000 for many years with various DACs, never have problems you mentioned. Open the top cover and see if you have leaky caps. It runs very warm for a transport and the caps need to be changed.

Reactions: 2ndLiner and sbnx

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Agree with the above. If Spectral will not repair it I would.

1. First, try different digital output cables (SPDIF and AES) and see if the problem exists on both
2. As stated above...open the top and see if you see swollen capacitors. I think this is likely as I had this on my spectral CD player. If you see badly swollen caps then there are places around that can repair or completely recap the unit.

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Used it with a dCS Dac in the past. Did not do well there (ticks and pops). But it is not fair to attribute this to the 3000. Ditched the dcs and spectral long time ago. Pro for the 3000: ergonomics TOP. Clear display. loved it for that. That said, I would not buy one now> too old. As transports are not dead, one wonders why Spectral doesn’t produce a new one?!
Usually, the ticks and pops are due to the clock setting. dCS configuration should use Sync Mode “Audio” as it does not have a word clock input.

dCS manual has this notice:
Please note if you lock one of the DAC’s AES or SPDIF inputs to a Master Clock, the
source equipment (e.g. a CD player) MUST be locked to the same Master Clock, otherwise
you will experience periodic clicks, dropouts, noises or distortion on the output. For more
information, please see the manual for the Vivaldi Master Clock.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Spectral has the 4000 SV. It can be used as a transport. No need for a stand alone transport as Spectral believe the CD is just fine so no need for a variety of complex inputs and multiple clocking and processing arrangements. They just want a dedicated player optimized for the CD. As they are a small batch business this is a smart move on their part.

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
All I can suggest is try the SPDIF and EAS/ECU to find out if they behave the same. That is curious about the distortion since it outputs a digital signal. Do other transports work ok with the same connection and cable? Have you tried a different cable?

Just thinking out loud...
Thanks to your suggestion and that of a friend I consider an “audio Yoda” I tried another cable and the SDR3000 is working flawlessly with my Lampi DAC. I overlooked this obvious move as the cable that I was using worked well in the same capacity with other components. Lesson learned, try all available options! Thanks to everyone for your input and suggestions!

Reactions: oldvinyl

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
Agree with the above. If Spectral will not repair it I would.

1. First, try different digital output cables (SPDIF and AES) and see if the problem exists on both
2. As stated above...open the top and see if you see swollen capacitors. I think this is likely as I had this on my spectral CD player. If you see badly swollen caps then there are places around that can repair or completely recap the unit.
Do you have any preferences regarding brand when replacing caps in the 3000?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing