Spectral SDR 4000 SL

Hiempie

May 6, 2016
I’ve been looking into Spectral for the last couple of years but there is no UK dealer and the dealers in Europe charge almost double which is incomprehensible/greedy and out of the league of most mortals. The only chance is to fly to the US by the units would be US voltage not European voltage. I wonder if I buy directly from the factory...

I can only see a fax number but I don’t have a fax machine and no one I know uses fax machines. Do they have an email address?
Hi Brunchwood,

What kind of Amp are you looking for? What do you think of buying second hand? These amps are build like a tank :) and sound amazing good.

Greetz Hiempie

roundhead

Oct 31, 2018
I’m after the CD player first and then a preamp. I’ve seen the voltage changes to jumpers that can be made but would love to know how to do a voltage change to the CD player.In Europe the CD player costs
€36000 but in the USA it is almost 50% of this price. I don’t understand how European dealers can justify this price. There is no justification but greed. This pricing is slowly destroying high end for the next generation. Sad.

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Outside the US you have to pay for expensive shipping, import duties, tariffs, distributor markup, and then dealer cut, plus VAT in the end.

Last edited:

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Same thing happens in the US. I really like the Dartzeel products, but the preamp and stereo amp must be close to $100K here in the states. Just a no go, unless my budget is $100K then I would buy them. At those $'s we have Boulder 2100 series and top of the line from Spectral and VTL, etc.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Yes, we pay dearly for foreign product.

Jon Q

VIP/Donor
Jun 16, 2019
Lisbon
Same thing happens in the US. I really like the Dartzeel products, but the preamp and stereo amp must be close to $100K here in the states. Just a no go, unless my budget is $100K then I would buy them. At those $'s we have Boulder 2100 series and top of the line from Spectral and VTL, etc.
I've heard Dartzell with DCS several times, including the monoblocs NHB-468, and I like these pre/amp and power amp, but their sound signature is quite different from spectral.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I've heard Dartzell with DCS several times, including the monoblocs NHB-468, and I like these pre/amp and power amp, but their sound signature is quite different from spectral.
They are different. In my experience nothing sounds like the current generation of Spectral products. They are unique in their neutrality.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Hiempie

May 6, 2016
I’m after the CD player first and then a preamp. I’ve seen the voltage changes to jumpers that can be made but would love to know how to do a voltage change to the CD player.In Europe the CD player costs
€36000 but in the USA it is almost 50% of this price. I don’t understand how European dealers can justify this price. There is no justification but greed. This pricing is slowly destroying high end for the next generation. Sad.
I agree with you, since 2012 prices increased fast the 4000SL was 28500 and now the 4000SV 35900 euro
You could buy in 2012 a dma 200 for 9900 now a 250S3 for 18900 euro.
My friend has a Pass Labs I believe these prices are more or less stable?

Greetz Hiempie

Hiempie

May 6, 2016
I didn't see a 4000SV second hand but DCS is also not cheap I wonder what happens now GB has left the EU?

Jon Q

VIP/Donor
Jun 16, 2019
Lisbon
They are different. In my experience nothing sounds like the current generation of Spectral products. They are unique in their neutrality.
Yes, I agree with you, especially with magico, but with Wilson Audio I leave some reticence
(this, in the various systems that I heard)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing