Spectral DMA-400

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi lloydelee21,

Let me start out with an all digital Spectral system connected to Magico Q5 speakers. What happened when I substituted the FM 266 for the DMC 30SS series 2 is superior gain in energy generated by the performers and a noticeably larger soundstage in all dimensions. Now, when I replaced the FM 266 for the BAlabo linestage, there is even more transparency giving me a sense of better stage lighting so that I can "see" the performers with greater clarity. Finally, substituting the FM 268 for the BAlabo, there is a rich creamy texture that is so musically engaging, easy and relaxing to hear.

As for being SOTA, I do not know, but really, who knows? Synergies play a big role in system building. My top favorites in line stages and preamps that I have heard are the top four piece Lamm line stage, the FM 268, the Audio Research SP 3 with all Telefunken military grade 12AX7 tubes and the Syd Smith modified Marantz 7.

You ought to plan a visit to Hong Kong. Go to the Sound Chamber to hear the FM system. The people there are very accomodating and will set up different systems for you to hear. You can mix and match and discover for yourself if you prefer a single brand or mix up the brands to tailor the sound to your liking. You can search google for the website of the sound chamber in Hong Kong. There is also the added attraction of the numerous excellent restaurants you can enjoy in Hong Kong.

While you are in Hong Kong, you can also walk over and visit the dealership that carries Gary's Genesis Dragon speakers. After hearing the Genesis Dragons, there are a few more high end dealerships in the same building that you can visit by just taking the elevator.

Thank you! I will definitely bear that in mind. I have been to Audio Exotics...next time i will visit them, plus Sound Chamber and also the people who have Rockport Arrakis and VTL setup. Very interesting feedback on FMA. Thanks again.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Using dCS and Spectral 360. No line stage (= the best line stage ;)

Not always. Volume level is based on increasing or decreasing the outptut level of the dac or cd player. That is not the same is turning a volume control.
Greg

Last edited:

edwardce

Oct 7, 2010
The Spectral Audio web site now has the Development Overview for the DMA-400 Monaural Reference Amplifier in the Bulletin section.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Nicely written. I need a second job now.

mmatuva

Oct 26, 2012
Is the DMA-400 overview still posted? I am looking for it in the bulletings and do not see it listed. Of course, the spectralaudio.com website I am looking at appears to be an archived version of something from the mid-1990s at best, but I"m pretty sure that's still the current site :) Ridiculous that they don't hire some college intern for peanuts to update that site....but, that's a topic for another forum. Sorry if I am dense--just not seeing the bulletin anywhere on the site. Does anyone have a direct link, or has it been taken down?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

mmatuva

Oct 26, 2012
Thanks Ack! Weird..when I go to www.spectralaudio.com and click "bulletins" it is not there. When I elim the "www" as part of that and just go to spectralaudio.com, then click through, it shows up. I knew it wasn't there an hour ago when I looked...not sure why it shows up in one and not the other, since I thought/assume those addresses went to the same server/physical address.

Anyway, thanks again.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Your browser probably has a cached version of www... - when in doubt, always hit Shift-Reload

audiosessions

Dec 29, 2010
Chatsworth California
DMA-400 Specs

Your browser probably has a cached version of www... - when in doubt, always hit Shift-Reload

Specifications

DMA-400 Monaural Power Amplifier
Power Output
(continuous): @ 8 ohms - 350 Watts RMS
@ 4 ohms - 560Watts RMS
@ 2 ohms - 705 Watts RMS
Output Current: 90 Amps peak
Frequency Response: +/- 0.1 dB, DC - 150 KHz
+/- 1 dB, DC - 1 MHz
+/- 3 dB, DC - 1.8 MHz

Distortion
Static: less than 0.015% from DC to 100 KHz, typically 0.009% @ 350 WRMS/8 ohms
Dynamic: 8 Tone Cluster Test 20 KHz @ 500 Hz separation
0.01% @ 8 ohms
0.015% @ 4 ohms
Speed:
Risetime: less than 225nanoseconds
Settling: 1.5 microseconds to -40 dB
Slew Rate: 650 volts/microsecond

Noise:
Signal to Noise: 98 dB unweighted,108 dB ASA A

Input:
Impedance: 10k ohms
Sensitivity: 1.5 volts / nominal output

Power Supply:
Line Voltage: 120 volts (USA standard)
AC Voltage Range: +-10%
Maximum Consumption: 2000 Watts
Quiescent Consumption: 115 Watts

Operating Temperature: 0 deg. to +50 deg. Celsius range,
32 deg. to +122 deg. Fahrenheit

Protection Features:
DC Protection Servo: 0.5 volt range
Current Limit Onset: 90 Amps
Thermal Threshold: Protects at 85 deg. Celsius,
185 deg. Fahrenheit

AC Main Fuses: 120v 5A/3AG slo-blo

Size and Weight:
Dimensions: 20" (50.8 cm) W,
7.23" (18.4 cm) H,
19.6" (49.9 cm) D,

Weight: 72 lbs, 34kg Net (each chassis)

All information and specifications provided herein are subject to change owing to the evolutionary nature of Spectral designs and technology. All Spectral products are covered by a three-year limited warranty for parts and labor. Please see warranty for complete details of coverage.

lydon

Jul 9, 2011
Hello all,
I just got off the phone this morning with Goodwin's of Boston. They told me that the first batch of DMA-400's are just now being delivered to their new owners. I just wanted to say, I look forward to your comments and impressions regarding what has been greatly anticipated to be one truly state of the art amplifier. They also informed me that the current asking price is $28,000.00 U.S., which isn't cheap but considering the company this amplifier keeps with other manufactures costing 2 to 3 times as much if not more; may end up in the long run being a great bargain.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
And they require dealer installation at the buyer's expense.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Hello all,
I just got off the phone this morning with Goodwin's of Boston. They told me that the first batch of DMA-400's are just now being delivered to their new owners. I just wanted to say, I look forward to your comments and impressions regarding what has been greatly anticipated to be one truly state of the art amplifier. They also informed me that the current asking price is $28,000.00 U.S., which isn't cheap but considering the company this amplifier keeps with other manufactures costing 2 to 3 times as much if not more; may end up in the long run being a great bargain.

Great news! Hope someone can give us a detailled comparison between the 440's and 360's.:)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

jfkbike

Jan 13, 2011
Florida
I actually think this is a good idea. Amps are still a bargain compared to a lot of others in this league. Grounding and various other issue they can deal with during a install are complicated enough that a lot of folks are not going to do the best job on their own. If you can buy $28k amps you can afford a couple of grand to have a dealer come in and ensure all is correct.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
There is a case to be made after all the buzzing and humming complaints we have seen. But I don't agree with the universal requirement, and it's one of the reasons I won't buy them, at least not now and not new; they could have included specific guidelines.

mmatuva

Oct 26, 2012
There is a case to be made after all the buzzing and humming complaints we have seen. But I don't agree with the universal requirement, and it's one of the reasons I won't buy them, at least not now and not new; they could have included specific guidelines.

I agree with Ack...unless there is something we don't know about the design, it's odd to me that it's required for the 400s and not for the 360s or anything else they sell. Probably easily doable if you live in a city where a dealer is located or close by; not so much if you are in the middle of the U.S. and literally thousands of miles from the nearest dealer (I am somewhere in between). My guess is that because they are such limited production now, they are trying to take care of the dealers, which is OK...I can live with that, but not something I could spring for right now. So, I am installing my new 360s as we speak (along with the new Spectral UL60 cables and the DMC 30ss s2 preamp).

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
I'm with ack on this one, this is a deal breaker for me. Now I totally agree with the significance of AC/ground etc as it relates to amps and apparently these are particularly sensitive to these but there are other ways to accomplish getting that stuff proper. This method is what I would deem the most absolute least customer friendly I could imagine which is troubling for gear in this price range. I'm not that smart in general and I can come up with better ideas just off the top of my head. So...I'll be getting a pair someday but no way in hell I buy them new and fly some dude halfway across the country to make sure my outlets are grounded common. In the mean time I'll enjoy my 360S2 and trial and error my way through proper AC. I also find it troubling that rather than put some material out there for Spectral users on this subject they'd prefer to let us flounder and figure it out on our own. It's unrealistic and frankly unreasonable to expect a guy to call some dealer 1500 miles away to help with grounding his amps.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing