Spectral 300 SV

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Hi guys, been a Spectral fan in the 90s but lost track in the past 15+ years.
I wonder how the latest DMC 30SV - DMA 300SV combo would do compared to newer gear like the Audionet Humboldt.
I plan on using a pair of Borresen 03 speakers but will not be able to audition with Spectral as dealers don't carry both brands.

I just saw this thread and perhaps I can offer my personal take on both brands.

I've auditioned both and chose Spectral. I should note that I DID NOT compare side by side the new Audionet Scientist flagships to Spectral.

They are outstanding but, price wise not comparable to Spectral. My comparison was the Audionet PRE-G2+ Stereo amp to Spectral SV Pre and DMA-260S2. Not even the latest and great "SV" amps.

I think a comparison I'd like to hear is the Audionet Humboldt (Integrated) compared to the DMC-30SV+300SV combo.

I'd guess they are very similar in the US MSRP. Whereas the Stern (Flagship Pre) and Hesienberg amps from Audionet are much more expensive than Spectral respective flagships.

First, I should state that I'm located in the US and as you mentioned easier to demo and acquire Spectral here. Although there aren't many dealers in the US they are represented on both coasts.

As another European based member posted in another thread. Spectral is a very expensive proposition to import when you factor the distributor, dealer and associated taxes.

Whereas, German based Audionet is probably much easier to acquire for our European members.

To that end, if the system approach pre+amp+MIT Speaker and Interconnects is what you are going for or buy into.

Then by all means consider Spectral. However, if you don't buy into the System approach and want to add your own preamp from another brand or use another brand of cable besides MIT, then Spectral isn't for you.

Save yourself the time and money go for Audionet. You can subjectively tweak it with the cables you like and save yourself some money.

However, if you believe and subscribe into the system approach. That Keith Johnson and Bruce Brisson know more over their 40 years of experience than any of us do. Then proceed further.

Spectral is EXTREMELY special when used as system (pre+amp+MIT). Fast, low distortion, extreme neutrality and such an open sound.

Audionet shares similar characteristics but, lacked something for me that would put it over the top.

As a said, I believe and subscribe to the system approach.

What put Spectral over the top? For me at least.

Their incredible source, the SDR-4000SV CD player.

Audionet's CD player wasn't close.

I hope we see the "SV" phono stage and SDR-5000 DAC before hell freezes over.

But, as Spectral fans know , it is good to dream :)

I hope that was helpful and let us know your feedback if you go to Italy for a listen.

Last edited:
Reactions: ack

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I just saw this thread and perhaps I can offer my personal take on both brands.

I've auditioned both and chose Spectral. I should note that I DID NOT compare side by side the new Audionet Scientist flagships to Spectral.

They are outstanding but, price wise not comparable to Spectral. My comparison was the Audionet PRE-G2+ Stereo amp to Spectral SV Pre and DMA-260S2. Not even the latest and great "SV" amps.

I think a comparison I'd like to hear is the Audionet Humboldt (Integrated) compared to the DMC-30SV+300SV combo.

I'd guess they are very similar in the US MSRP. Whereas the Stern (Flagship Pre) and Hesienberg amps from Audionet are much more expensive than Spectral respective flagships.

First, I should state that I'm located in the US and as you mentioned easier to demo and acquire Spectral here. Although there aren't many dealers in the US they are represented on both coasts.

As another European based member posted in another thread. Spectral is a very expensive proposition to import when you factor the distributor, dealer and associated taxes.

Whereas, German based Audionet is probably much easier to acquire for our European members.

To that end, if the system approach pre+amp+MIT Speaker and Interconnects is what you are going for or buy into.

Then by all means consider Spectral. However, if you don't buy into the System approach and want to add your own preamp from another brand or use another brand of cable besides MIT, then Spectral isn't for you.

Save yourself the time and money go for Audionet. You can subjectively tweak it with the cables you like and save yourself some money.

However, if you believe and subscribe into the system approach. That Keith Johnson and Bruce Brisson know more over their 40 years of experience than any of us do, then proceed further.

Spectral is EXTREMELY special when used as system (pre+amp+MIT). Fast, low distortion, extreme neutrality and such an open sound.

Audionet shares similar characteristics but, lacked something for me that would put it over the top.

As a said, I believe and subscribe to the system approach.

What put Spectral over the top? For me at least.

Their incredible source, the SDR-4000SV CD player.

Audionet's CD player wasn't close.

I hope we see the "SV" phono stage and SDR-5000 DAC before hell freezes over.

But, as Spectral fans know , it is good to dream :)

I hope that was helpful and let us know your feedback if you go to Italy for a listen.

Thanks for your input very informative.
I completely agree about Spectral's system approach, i would never purchase a Spectral amp whithout the pre and MIT cables.
Only the Scientist Audionet series can be compared to Spectral SV series not the lower Audionet series.
I will go back to audition the Audionet Humboldt in a couple of weeks and on a later trip go to Italy for Spectral SV series.

Reactions: Mdp632

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Thanks for your input very informative.
I completely agree about Spectral's system approach, i would never purchase a Spectral amp whithout the pre and MIT cables.
Only the Scientist Audionet series can be compared to Spectral SV series not the lower Audionet series.
I will go back to audition the Audionet Humboldt in a couple of weeks and on a later trip go to Italy for Spectral SV series.

You're welcome. I agree with you regarding new higher end Audionet Scientist series.

That should be the comparison to the Spectral SV electronics.

Part of me loves the fact of an integrated but, with the component approach of Spectral.

Someday I hope to upgrade to an SV amp. Looking at the 300SV or perhaps maybe even the 400s.

Good luck on your quest and please let us know your impressions.

Reactions: Thieliste

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing