Soundstage Height

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Works like a charm in the near field. I have mine tilted back and it puts the top of the image several inches above the speakers, and that's from just 4 feet back. By experimenting with toe-in and tilt, a good pair of monitors with sub(s) could project a very nice sound stage, even into a sizeable room.

Tim

With height? ;)

On the FIM recording I linked to Phil in the previous page, there is a very well-defined back, and then forward down, and then backward upward movement of the shaker. It is most easily demo-ed on line source loudspeakers, best illustrated in in Winston's room (with the Avalon Sentinels) and can even be heard on well set-up monitor speakers.

I use the track as part of my loudspeaker set-up procedure, and have demo'ed this soundstage height countless times. When I demo it, I will not tell the audience what to hear, but get one of the audience to get up and show us what he/she thinks is happening with the shaker. If the system is out of phase (as happened to me once when I didn't verify before conducting the demo) the shaker goes backwards instead of forwards and down, but the up down movement is the same in-phase or out-of-phase. It may be a nature of this recording. Winston once told me how he thought it was done.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
With height?

Height? Absolutely. Vertical image? Well, that's another subject, and a well-covered one. :)

Tim

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
We all know that the movie 'Master and Commander - The Far side of the World' contains some great 'height' sounds. And on Blu-ray, it rocks! :cool:

But did you know that this movie here also, below, on DVD, contains some great 'height' effects?

---

...And it is a lovely movie that is a lot of fun to watch. :b

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
With height? ;) (...) I use the track as part of my loudspeaker set-up procedure, and have demo'ed this soundstage height countless times. When I demo it, I will not tell the audience what to hear, but get one of the audience to get up and show us what he/she thinks is happening with the shaker. If the system is out of phase (as happened to me once when I didn't verify before conducting the demo) the shaker goes backwards instead of forwards and down, but the up down movement is the same in-phase or out-of-phase. It may be a nature of this recording. Winston once told me how he thought it was done.

Gary,
I do not want to resurrect and old thread, but your last sentence is of utmost importance for understanding the topic. Do you know if it was a microphone technique, a later mixing desk manipulation or none of them?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary,
I do not want to resurrect and old thread, but your last sentence is of utmost importance for understanding the topic. Do you know if it was a microphone technique, a later mixing desk manipulation or none of them?

Just microphone. The shaker was moved over the pattern described in front of a pair of mics.

vdorta

Dec 26, 2010
Issaquah, WA
www.dorta.com
I agree with the posts about monitors and the Spica TC-50. A speaker I will always remember is the original EgglestonWorks Andra, the short one. It projected a soundstage height all the way to the ceiling. On the other hand, I have listened several times to Vandersteen 5s and 7s and they always had a low soundstage, barely above the speaker tops. Robert Harley agreed (Vandy 7), but he justified it on the speaker not being a tall one.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing