I know this old arm is good but I don’t know why David,Rockitman,Tang,Ron,Mike
Use or will use having top tonearm like Sat,EliteAxiom,Black Beauty,Durand

Why 3012 is so special?
I never had and I don’t understand
Only to know for my curiosity
Regards
Gian

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use 3m or 4m, tell the guy making the making the arm board to drill and tap for either one and 1.75 to 2 cm deep but all 4 holes need to be the same, make sure to mention it!

david
TQ David . I m inspired reading 70 pages abt SME3012R , that I will likely to buy another SME3012R for Ortofon SPU century or maybe SME 3012 S2 earlier version - was told its good . Tq

Reactions: howiebrou and ddk
TQ David . I m inspired reading 70 pages abt SME3012R , that I will likely to buy another SME3012R for Ortofon SPU century or maybe SME 3012 S2 earlier version - was told its good . Tq
The S2 is vastly inferior to the R in both sound and ergonomics. I have tried both, I couldn't give away the S2.

• Haha
Reactions: howiebrou
My first post in this website and I’m posting on this thread because I am intrigued by the 71 pages of replies on the discussion of the 3012R. I have not heard any SME classic arm before, but the discussion here suggests that the 3012R is as good if not better

I am running a Rega RP10 now and will be receiving the new J.Sikora Initial Max with the KV12 arm in 5-6 weeks. The Initial Max allows a second arm to be fitted.

So the million dollar question I have is, what can I get in terms of differences to the modern KV12 tonearm if my second arm is a 3012R?

Will the 3012R be a good/perfect partner to my new TT and arm? I am looking forward to hear from members here.

Anyone has experience of the structure of the 3012 tonearm cable, due to suspicion of broken wire issue, I have to disassemble the cable completely to see what happen, surprisingly I found out there is a small carbon resistor (or capacitor) hidden inside the plug on one end with a label 221 printed, if this is the case for all other 3012 type of cable that means the pre-loading of the resistance value is inevitably avoid.

Anyone has experience of the structure of the 3012 tonearm cable, due to suspicion of broken wire issue, I have to disassemble the cable completely to see what happen, surprisingly I found out there is a small carbon resistor (or capacitor) hidden inside the plug on one end with a label 221 printed, if this is the case for all other 3012 type of cable that means the pre-loading of the resistance value is inevitably avoid.
Very interesting...

Got any photos?

My first post in this website and I’m posting on this thread because I am intrigued by the 71 pages of replies on the discussion of the 3012R. I have not heard any SME classic arm before, but the discussion here suggests that the 3012R is as good if not better

I am running a Rega RP10 now and will be receiving the new J.Sikora Initial Max with the KV12 arm in 5-6 weeks. The Initial Max allows a second arm to be fitted.

So the million dollar question I have is, what can I get in terms of differences to the modern KV12 tonearm if my second arm is a 3012R?

Will the 3012R be a good/perfect partner to my new TT and arm? I am looking forward to hear from members here.
I am running 2 SME 3012R on 2 different tables. I like them. I don't know if they are necessarily better than other tonearms. Others will be in a btter position to comment but for their price I think they are good value.

Reactions: jeff1225
If this applies to all former SME cable (i doubt) which could possibly mean the capacitance is pre loading to the cartridge, in my experience some phono stage design the starting point is 100pf while some others were close to 0pf, higher the figures which could tame the treble.

There were some SME cables that came with those capacitors fitted as standard, particularly those supplied with the 3009 Series III and 3009 Series II Improved with the fixed head shell as those arms were very often used with the Shure V15iii and that cartridge needed the extra capacitance. Indeed I believe the 3009 Series III was designed with that cartridge in mind. What the provenance of your cable is I have absolutely no idea but I can think of no other reason why it would have come with those capacitors fitted. If you search the web you will find lots of posts where people have complained that the 3009 Series III doesn't sound good only to find the capacitors, remove them and be astonished at how good it is with the right cartridge.

David Whistance

Reactions: MadFloyd
AT vdh and zyx all sounded nice on SME. The Lyra and the GFS didn't. The GFS sounded good on axiom. And then tang later preferred the Lyra on Sat, and Shane had the same finding on Lyra/SME.
Really?
VDH need low mas arms not 14 Gramm 3012r Tonearms, like Alphason hr 100s or SME 309 sounds much better for me.
Zyx sounds better with 20gramm+ tonearms then they sing incridible.
Lyra is an energetic beast works well with FR 64S here with Helikon and Titan i great sounding.
for me that is not a matter of taste, but simply physics.

Have a nice day

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing