Shunyata vs Wireworld

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi guys,

As you can see from my equipment listed below I run mostly Wireworld cables but I also have one Shunyata USB Alpha cable.
I am now to invest in a few more cables. At least one power cord to upgrade the fuel to my Torus.
Pair of RCAs to upgrade the connectivity to my Technics turntable.
And maybe a new Coaxial to connect my Mutec to my SU-R 1000.

Although Shunyata has my deepest respect, and I know Shunyata cables are really good, I always felt I get more (material wise) purchasing Wireworld. My Gold Starlight 8 Coax/Digital for instance. Solid Silver conductors for the modest price of ca 600 USD (In Sweden).

Wirewold always declare exactly what metal they use, how much of it and what is the potential upgrade in sound, if you step up one notch/series. I feel Shunyata lacks behind a bit, price to metal ratio and perhaps price to performance ratio.

What is your feeling?

Happy for any input.

And for the record. I like Shunyata as well as Wireworld. Shunyata for interconnects and Wireworld for fantastic power cords that you actually also can handle and fit into a normal living room Hifi-set up.

Kind regards from Sweden

Last edited:

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Based on US MRSP prices, your WW numbers might be a little off. For 1m Interconnect Eclipse8 (copper) is $450; Gold Eclipse8 (silver) is $1600. Shunyata Alpha V2 (copper/silver) is $2000 for RCA, $2500 for XLR. The Alpha has some design features that the WW's do not, which could make a difference. Since these are US companies, I would expect comparable prices in Europe to be higher.

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Thanks for input GSOphile,

I was referring to the RCA Coaxial/Digital 75 ohm 1m Gold Starlight 8. Spec: OCC7N Solid silver conductors. 5700 kr incl VAT = 633 USD.
You're absolute right about pricing for the 1m analogue interconnects. Given higher VAT they retail for ca 1850 USD in Sweden (after 10% discount). American products are higher priced in Europe then in the US, clearly evident by this comparison.

Anyway, given that both Shunyata and WW are American companies, is consensus in the US that you pay a premium for Shunyata in every range, compared to WW (just looking at metal content) but that you also get somewhat of a "premium sound", due to propriety patent and construction with a Shunyata? I guess both Corps. have their fan base that would swear by them.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I have no experience with WW, but I just received my Shunyata Everest, Sigma and Alpha cables and interconnects, USB, etc. - complete loom of Shunyata. Though they are still breaking in, they are already sounding great. You do get what you pay for.

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi Audire.

I am sure your set up will combine really good. Which cables did you run before the Shunyata loom?

KR
Andreas

Last edited:

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Hi Audire.

I am sure your set up will combine really good. What cables did you run before the Shunyata loom?

KR
Andreas

Hi KR,

We used Shunyata Venom. It was good, but we heard much better on other systems. I was ready to drop Shunyata from consideration after hearing some much better Nordost, Transparent, and even something called Swiss Cables. But Ian B and Yuen A on the forum convinced me to try some Sigma v2 interconnects and power cables (DAC Shootout). I'm very glad I took their advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian B and The Knife

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi KR,

We used Shunyata Venom. It was good, but we heard much better on other systems. I was ready to drop Shunyata from consideration after hearing some much better Nordost, Transparent, and even something called Swiss Cables. But Ian B and Yuen A on the forum convinced me to try some Sigma v2 interconnects and power cables (DAC Shootout). I'm very glad I took their advice.
Nice to hear. Well. Then you really have considered some alternatives. I understand Shunyata is up there with the very best. When it comes to the Everest. Have you ever tried out some Electricity conditioner from PS Audio or Torus (both being from North America)?

Reactions: DRBI and Audire

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Questions to the Shunyata pros.
I can get a reasonable deal on a used pair of 1m Alpha v1 RCA´s interconnects. Ca 1/3 of new price. How are the Alpha V1 regarded?
Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Audire

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I can get a reasonable deal on a used pair of 1m Alpha v1 RCA´s interconnects. Ca 1/3 of new price. How are the Alpha V1 regarded?
Thanks in advance!
I am using one of those and really like it. Prior to that it was a Shunyata Anaconda and prior to that it was an MIT Oracle v3.2. I think the Alpha v1 does a great job of vanishing relative to the other two. That’s the most important quality to me.

Reactions: The Knife

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Although Shunyata has my deepest respect, and I know Shunyata cables are really good, I always felt I get more (material wise) purchasing Wireworld. My Gold Starlight 8 Coax/Digital for instance. Solid Silver conductors for the modest price of ca 600 USD (In Sweden).

Wirewold always declare exactly what metal they use, how much of it and what is the potential upgrade in sound, if you step up one notch/series. I feel Shunyata lacks behind a bit, price to metal ratio and perhaps price to performance ratio.
First off I should mention that my favorite thing about Shunyata is bang for the buck. Quite astonishing how much the Alpha and Delta series deliver for the price.

Wireworld had struck me as really having only two dials they can adjust: the conductor material and the insulation material. Shunyata’s advancements go beyond that IMHO in that they are trying to eliminate noise - and not just externally imposed noise but also the noise the cable itself reflects back into the music. They describe their technologies here. As you can see, a few are aimed at minimizing “dielectric absorption and re-radiation”.

I mentioned in my post above about how the Alpha v1 did a better job of disappearing. That’s even more true about their v2 cables. Grain that I hadn’t even noticed just vanished when I swapped their earlier Alpha HC power cords for Delta v2. if you value transparency and purity then you will appreciate Shunyata.

I only did direct comparisons between Shunyata and Wireworld’s Ethernet cables. I was using WW Starlight but immediately sold it after hearing the Alpha and also SOtM’s CAT7. The Starlight and Platinum Starlight overemphasized the highs and were fatiguing.

I just remembered that I also compared the Alpha v1 digital spdif to a Wireworld Gold Starlight 7. Not a fair fight given the price difference but I thought the WW held its ground. Its sins were sins of omission. The Alpha just more convincingly portrayed instruments as real particularly in terms of timbre and microdynamics. The WW was a bit warmer too making it a really good option for those whose budget can’t stretch to an Alpha.

Last edited:

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi Kenny B,

Thanks a lot for a very comprehensive answer! My only fear is that the cable in its effort to reduce noise also reduces, to summarize, "the music".
As I currently run the latest within signal improvement, jitter reduction and noise cancellation, embodied in the SU-R1000, I don´t need a cable to do that for me. The cable should just give as much of the signal to the Technics as possible, and its processes will handle the rest. But having read your description Shunyata does not seem to lack any dynamics at all, and given the very high craft man skills invested in a Shunyata, I might go for that Alpha V1 currently in the local market.

Last edited:

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Thanks a lot for a very comprehensive answer! My only fear is that the cable in its effort to reduce noise also reduces, to summarize, "the music".
That’s a valid concern but they’ve been at this for a while and I think the last two series allow more of the music to come forth. But these aren’t the cables I’d recommend if one is looking to cables to flavor their system.

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Absolutely not looking for any flavor. But don't want a cable that muddles the high fidelity the Martin Logans are capable of. I don't expect anything from Shunyata to be other then brilliant. It is just so that on this price point there are alternatives. Is Shunyata normally well regarded in combination with Martin Logan?

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I mentioned Shunyata above. The only other cable that I've heard on MLs are AQs - some of the upper end ones, but I didn't remember which ones it was. MLs are very nice speakers - love their sound.

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
I mentioned Shunyata above. The only other cable that I've heard on MLs are AQs - some of the upper end ones, but I didn't remember which ones it was. MLs are very nice speakers - love their sound.
Thanks Audire. They sound fantastic when you get used to their sound signature, which is a bit more granular but also a little bit thinner. This however allows you to play them much louder (in an 125 years old apartment) then what you can do with a traditional dynamic woofer construction, without waking up the neighbors. The looks that would fit them right into MOMA is a bonus.

Reactions: Audire

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Absolutely not looking for any flavor. But don't want a cable that muddles the high fidelity the Martin Logans are capable of. I don't expect anything from Shunyata to be other then brilliant. It is just so that on this price point there are alternatives. Is Shunyata normally well regarded in combination with Martin Logan?
As I mentioned, if you value transparency and purity, Shunyata is a great choice. When I think Martin Logan, transparency and purity are two words that come to mind. I cannot think of a better choice.

Ian B

Oct 19, 2020
Both companies make good digital cables, but for Wireworld I think you really have to go to the Platinum series (solid silver) for them to really earn their keep. I don't find Shunyata to be as bright and present, but the noise/glare reduction is the real deal and you notice it with any digital system. Deep blacks, delicacy, musicality. I don't find any drawbacks at all. At that level both companies are comparable but WW is more solid and present while Shunyata has more blackness, contrast, and finesse.

The Shunyata analog and power cables are really something at the Alpha and Sigma levels. I haven't compared the most recent Wireworld RCAs to Shunyata, but I can say with older Platinum Eclipse 6 is not nearly as impressive as the Alpha interconnects. The Shunyata interconnects do something unique in transparency, speed, and soundstage.

Last edited:

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Questions to the Shunyata pros.
Thanks in advance!

Alpha 1s are well regarded. IMO the are more analytical than the Sigmas. At that price they would be hard to resist, but then you might be left wondering what you are missing with the Sigmas ...

Also I noted that you inquired about PS Audio, but I've never used that gear. As far as power conditioners I like Shunyata and AQ. There is another one my dealer desires me to try called GigaWatt PC-4 Evo+. I've heard good things about Torus but again no experience.

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Alpha 1s are well regarded. IMO the are more analytical than the Sigmas. At that price they would be hard to resist, but then you might be left wondering what you are missing with the Sigmas ...

Also I noted that you inquired about PS Audio, but I've never used that gear. As far as power conditioners I like Shunyata and AQ. There is another one my dealer desires me to try called GigaWatt PC-4 Evo+. I've heard good things about Torus but again no experience.
Thanks Audire! Very useful information. I will give those Alpha’s a chance, I think!

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Got the new Radiohead LP album Kid A Mnesia (not even 180grams, what a shame) on the way home from office today together with a pair of Shunyata Alpha RCA.

Can only say WOW. Unfortunately once again it is proven that this slippery slope called HIFI, unfortunately always delivers quality in relation to investment. The soundstage all of a sudden made an incredible widening of at least 0,5 meters in each direction. Vocals more defined and 3D. Instrument separation increased. The base faster, harder and more pronounced. To be fair, now the Shunyatas didn't go up to any hard competition. They replace a pair of Wireworld Solstice 7 (Silver plated OFC), but anyway. I am extremely satisfied with this investment!

Attachments

• B8E47678-25F4-4F85-AE0F-6B436348400E.jpeg
    B8E47678-25F4-4F85-AE0F-6B436348400E.jpeg
    547.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 985AB3A8-0D9F-4511-8FF7-472120D57DD1.jpeg
    985AB3A8-0D9F-4511-8FF7-472120D57DD1.jpeg
    574.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 3888637C-D708-47FC-9A49-BCF5B7D13000.jpeg
    3888637C-D708-47FC-9A49-BCF5B7D13000.jpeg
    547.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing