Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
nice!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Quick update. Had quadplex installed, and hooked up 2 x monoblock (200w class A) and 1 x Typhon on the same circuit. Incumbent was PS audio p5 running both P5s. All cabling is Anaconda. Here is my first impression.

(1) I convinced myself there is a difference. The PS Audio appears a bit more dynamic, but there is a bit more "grain". The Typhon is a bit more polished and polite.
(2) If someone wanted to bet me $100,000 I could tell them apart in a double blind, I would decline the bet. There is a distinct possibility I could not tell them apart.
(3) Irrespectively, even if I tell them apart, it is hard to say which one I would prefer.
(4) My philosophy is components that are within a such a small margin of error will all grow on you. Owning component (A) or (B) does not make any material difference to the level of musical enjoyment.

I will very likely keep the Typhon and sell the P5, but I could have happily lived with either one.

My assessment may change after spending a few late night listening sessions.

Shunyata.JPG

The Typhon is hooked up to circuit with monoblocks. P5 are behind the main rack. Tomorrow will be the P5 against Triton shootout for my front end components. I have a 2nd Typhon on stand-by that I may also throw into the mix.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Quick update. Had quadplex installed, and hooked up 2 x monoblock (200w class A) and 1 x Typhon on the same circuit. Incumbent was PS audio p5 running both P5s. All cabling is Anaconda. Here is my first impression.

(1) I convinced myself there is a difference. The PS Audio appears a bit more dynamic, but there is a bit more "grain". The Typhon is a bit more polished and polite.
(2) If someone wanted to bet me $100,000 I could tell them apart in a double blind, I would decline the bet. There is a distinct possibility I could not tell them apart.
(3) Irrespectively, even if I tell them apart, it is hard to say which one I would prefer.
(4) My philosophy is components that are within a such a small margin of error will all grow on you. Owning component (A) or (B) does not make any material difference to the level of musical enjoyment.

I will very likely keep the Typhon and sell the P5, but I could have happily lived with either one.

View attachment 13045

The Typhon is hooked up to circuit with monoblocks. P5 are behind the main rack. Tomorrow will be the P5 against Triton shootout for my front end components. I have a 2nd Typhon on stand-by that I may also throw into the mix.

Curious that you find that the P5 is more dynamic than the Triton - I own a P10 and my only objection to it is that sometimes I feel like my ARCs are less dynamic. Are you mixing the Hydra with the P5?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Curious that you find that the P5 is more dynamic than the Triton - I own a P10 and my only objection to it is that sometimes I feel like my ARCs are less dynamic. Are you mixing the Hydra with the P5?

My assessment is based on P5 only against Typhon only. I tried the Typhon / P5 combo also. Again - may be subtlety "different" but splitting hairs.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I'm not very enthusiastic about PS Audio as there is to much internal complexity than can break, degrade, etc. However, others do love it. I prefer the passive approach used by Shunyata. Anyway, I will be looking forward to the Triton/Typhon review on the source. I am very close to ordering a Typhon for my Triton and source gear. My expectation is the benefits should be more apparent than on the amps. However, it should be relatively easy to switch it between the source line and the amps line for an A/B comparison.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com

View attachment 13045

You compared the PS to the Typhon? Or, did you mean the Triton?

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Hi Erik,

Just a couple points when comparing any system w/without the Typhon. Make sure they are not quick, in-out comparisons that depend on a specific track or sample of a track. Once plugged in, the effect of the Typhon will take 20 minutes or more to become obvious, perhaps one hour to be safe. This is due to the time required for the Typhon to completely couple to the circuit as a parallel device. I assume from your note that you were comparing by plugging the Typhon into the quadplex directly versus plugging the components through the P5 without the Typhon?

Its better to leave the Typhon plugged in over a period of time or a couple of days and go through a variety of program material from sparse, acoustic music to more densely populated dynamic music. Once you are satisfied that you have a good grasp of the system's performance, remove the Typhon from the circuit and repeat the listening without it, or with the other product. If you are comparing units that are as different as the ones you mention, the performance difference should be obvious. If its not, then it might help to call and go over the specifics and system context because those are not similar products in design or performance.

Make sure when listening with one, that the other is disengaged from the circuit and not plugged in anywhere else. From your brief description, its hard to be more specific with suggestions, but feel free to call on Thursday or Friday if I can be of any help. Based on my experience with many comparisons, there should be fairly easy to quantify differences between the performance of these two products.

I am traveling through the Holiday, but feel free to e-mail, or simply call Thursday or Friday.

Best regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I have recently had a chance to audition Anaconda Z-Tron PC in my system. I have borrowed two PCs, to power my mono poweramps. The cables were distriutor's demos, so were nicely run in. I have to admit, the cables sound excellent. In my system, they were on the dark / meaty side, with excellent texture.

The top of the range Acrolink Mexel 9500 I had also on hand, sounded even more transparent with even more open top end, but lacked the color density that made the Anacondas so special. If it wasn't for the fact that my piggy bank is empty after getting a new DAC, I would be ordering those. For the time beeing, I need to use my old & trusty Shunyata Diamondbacks Platinium on amps.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I'm not very enthusiastic about PS Audio as there is to much internal complexity than can break, degrade, etc. (...)

The technique of building power supplies is old - I know of many UPS regenerators built twenty years ago are still working perfectly. There is no reason for a power regenerator being less reliable than other quality equipment and in the event of a mains surge that can damage our equipment we will be pleased to own it, even if it breaks the power conditioner.

One of the nice things of the P10 is that it has a mains analyzer. In my case it has shown that the mains in my house is very good quality - THD typically less than 1% and fluctuations of less than 2%. Perhaps it is why I am now questioning the need to use it. ;) The results obtained with power conditioning depend a lot on the mains quality, it is why we have to try.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Hi Erik,

Just a couple points when comparing any system w/without the Typhon. Make sure they are not quick, in-out comparisons that depend on a specific track or sample of a track. Once plugged in, the effect of the Typhon will take 20 minutes or more to become obvious, perhaps one hour to be safe. This is due to the time required for the Typhon to completely couple to the circuit as a parallel device. I assume from your note that you were comparing by plugging the Typhon into the quadplex directly versus plugging the components through the P5 without the Typhon?

Its better to leave the Typhon plugged in over a period of time or a couple of days and go through a variety of program material from sparse, acoustic music to more densely populated dynamic music. Once you are satisfied that you have a good grasp of the system's performance, remove the Typhon from the circuit and repeat the listening without it, or with the other product. If you are comparing units that are as different as the ones you mention, the performance difference should be obvious. If its not, then it might help to call and go over the specifics and system context because those are not similar products in design or performance.

Make sure when listening with one, that the other is disengaged from the circuit and not plugged in anywhere else. From your brief description, its hard to be more specific with suggestions, but feel free to call on Thursday or Friday if I can be of any help. Based on my experience with many comparisons, there should be fairly easy to quantify differences between the performance of these two products.

I am traveling through the Holiday, but feel free to e-mail, or simply call Thursday or Friday.

Best regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research

Grant, thanks - that is useful feedback. I did indeed do the routine of playing 20-30 minutes of very familiar tracks on configuration (A), and then rewired for configuration (B) and played the same tracks.

I will follow you approach and see if it changes my assessment. I do know I don't have the patience to keep going back and forth so I probably won't be going back to comparing with PS Audio P5, but I will give the system ample time to settle in with Typhon and then disconnect it to hear the net change.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Today I swapped out the ps audio p5 for triton on front end components (dac and preamp). Very nice improvement right of the bat. Most noticeable is more slam in low end (for sure), better articulation of individual instruments (I think). None of this is "jaw dropping" and all improvements are incremental, but worth the effort in search of nirvana. Next, I'm adding typhon to triton on front end.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Today I swapped out the ps audio p5 for triton on front end components (dac and preamp). Very nice improvement right of the bat. Most noticeable is more slam in low end (for sure), better articulation of individual instruments (I think). None of this is "jaw dropping" and all improvements are incremental, but worth the effort in search of nirvana. Next, I'm adding typhon to triton on front end.

Hi, I have to second Grant on just let it play for awhile...maybe leave the triton in for a week...listening...then one day go back...you're likely missing out on faster swaps...The Typhon really takes a week or two...just listen...then down the road pull the plug on the Typhon...it'll sound like you put a blanket over the speakers...The shunyata stuff definitely creeps up on the improvement until one day ...it is jaw dropping when you take it out...my cents anyway

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi, I have to second Grant on just let it play for awhile...maybe leave the triton in for a week...listening...then one day go back...you're likely missing out on faster swaps...The Typhon really takes a week or two...just listen...then down the road pull the plug on the Typhon...it'll sound like you put a blanket over the speakers...The shunyata stuff definitely creeps up on the improvement until one day ...it is jaw dropping when you take it out...my cents anyway

I agree

Ed methinks you are too quick with this Shunyata gear.

As I have posted before IMO and in my system , they were truly game changers. Be patient

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing