Shiit: Worst Customer Service since 20 years Highend

Console

Apr 17, 2017
Timbuktu ;)
Wow... still have to get over it.
I accidently made a scratch into the Chassis of my Shiit Yggdrasil, which disturbs me a lot.
I asked their Distributor in Europe, if I could have a replacement (of course on my cost).

It took 2x Weeks for the answer (okay, this is fine and can happen due to Holidays), which was NEGATIVE: "...We asked Shiit USA for a Chassis, but it is not available and will probably will not be in the future." BAMM. If they wrote: You have to have patience.... fine. But that is basically saying: It is not available and don't bug us with it. Nothing mentioning, they would try or I should request again in a few months. Not sure if this is the Distro OR Shiit itself. Anyway: Total turn-off. Never had that in 20 years of Highend from Big to Small Companies, regardless of the Distro.

FIRST and LAST time I bought a Shiit Product. What a turn off.

I also have 2x Weiss DACs, where replacements were needed: Immediate answers, immediate supply of all parts including Chassis, Switches etc. for super fair prices.
I also have an RME-DAC and Mytek DAC, always quick answer and super support.

Sound-wise my Yggdrasil is fine, but this service experience is the WORST I ever had.

Screwdriver

Apr 16, 2018
I accidently made a scratch into the Chassis of my Shiit Yggdrasil, which disturbs me a lot.
I asked their Distributor in Europe, if I could have a replacement (of course on my cost).

It took 2x Weeks for the answer (okay, this is fine and can happen due to Holidays), which was NEGATIVE: "...We asked Shiit USA for a Chassis, but it is not available and will probably will not be in the future." BAMM. If they wrote: You have to have patience.... fine. But that is basically saying: It is not available and don't bug us with it. Nothing mentioning, they would try or I should request again in a few months. Not sure if this is the Distro OR Shiit itself. Anyway: Total turn-off. Never had that in 20 years of Highend from Big to Small Companies, regardless of the Distro.

I also have 2x Weiss DACs, where replacements were needed: Immediate answers, immediate supply of all parts including Chassis, Switches etc. for super fair prices.

Sound-wise my Yggdrasil is fine, but this service experience is the WORST I ever had.

These things are always back-ordered. Maybe they are trying to fulfill orders before someone that scratched theirs needs a replacement case?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

Lot's of companies won't be able to accommodate you with a new chassis, these days everything's backordered and if the company's busy they've already placed their parts orders a year in advance. Giving you an extra chassis might sound like a simple request but for a manufacturer could mean a disruption in their supply and demand chain specially if they're controlling costs and ordering parts only 1 to 1. This isn't a customer service issue, if the scratch bothers you that much their products are relatively inexpensive buy a new one and sell the scratched one.

david

Screwdriver

Apr 16, 2018
Lot's of companies won't be able to accommodate you with a new chassis, these days everything's backordered and if the company's busy they've already placed their parts orders a year in advance. Giving you an extra chassis might sound like a simple request but for a manufacturer could mean a disruption in their supply and demand chain specially if they're controlling costs and ordering parts only 1 to 1. This isn't a customer service issue, if the scratch bothers you that much their products are relatively inexpensive buy a new one and sell the scratched one.

david

This..... ^

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
There could be concerns over QC / reputational risk of having a product informally rebuilt in the field, though an explanatory reply should have been promptly given.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Just sell it and buy a new one. There are legit reasons they may not want to sell a chassis, plus the labor of moving all the parts over and cost of the parts may get pricey anyways... chassis are often a very expensive part.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Gents, didn't the OP offer to pay the price to acquire a new chassis...and I don't recall seeing him mention how much he was willing to pay!
I also don't see a timeframe that the OP placed on the manufacturer.
Therefore, Schiit should be able to calculate the price they want for this item and sell it to him. Whether or not he will be willing to pay that price and wait that time is another matter, but they should give him that option. IMHO.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Gents, didn't the OP offer to pay the price to acquire a new chassis...and I don't recall seeing him mention how much he was willing to pay!
I also don't see a timeframe that the OP placed on the manufacturer.
Therefore, Schiit should be able to calculate the price they want for this item and sell it to him.
Apparently, they are not willing to sell the part, so there is no price to calculate.

Narayan

Oct 6, 2015

If you´re not sure if it´s the distro or Schiit itself you should have probably contacted Schiit USA before drowning in a glass of water and starting this thread to disparage them.

This post has some information about Schiit´s philosophy when it comes to customer service, starts at post 2472:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...obable-start-up.701900/page-165#post_10850301

It makes for an entertainig read, I´ll quote two paragraphs:

"I can’t stress this enough. Fast response to customer questions is key. Many businesses promise 24-48 hour response to email. This is woefully inadequate. There’s no way someone can make a decision, much less troubleshoot a product with a 24-48 hour response time. It’s like getting customer support from Pluto.

During regular business days, 24-48 minutes is more like it. Or even 2.4-4.8 minutes. We aim to keep this as snappy as possible. Which is why you’re usually looking at minutes for an email reply during the week, and we check email at least 2-4 times over the weekend on non-business days as well."

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I would not send an empty chassis. If I were Schitt I would schedule a return for repair or have the distribiluter do the swap. No telling if the parts get put back together and meet spec.

Maybe ask to return the product and have them do the swap. QC is at least going to be checked before it’s returned.

Most manufacturers do not want to do cosmetic repairs that are not their fault. It really screws up production.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Apparently, they are not willing to sell the part, so there is no price to calculate.

Ok, so the OP is willing to pay up to a million dollars for this part...is there still no price to calculate? Come on.
The inconvenience, and that is most likely what it boils down to, has a price. Like i said before, the OP may not want to pay that price, but it should have been offered to him, in the way of good customer service, IMO.

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
I agree.

Schiit gives the worst services.

I have Yggdrasil, Bifrost Multibit, Modi 2 Multibit, and Yotunheim.

Whenever I order Schiit's products, I feel bad so much.

I think Schiit is very popular brand, so they don't think that one customer is very important.

I borrowed Yggdrasil to about 50 Korean audiophiles.

They said they don't know why Yggdrasil is popular.

I have total 20 DACs and I borrowed all to Korean audiophiles.

Yggdrasil is the worst among my DACs.

Service is the worst

Product quality is the worst

Schiit is the worst brand.

Console

Apr 17, 2017
Timbuktu ;)
Ok, so the OP is willing to pay up to a million dollars for this part...is there still no price to calculate? Come on.
The inconvenience, and that is most likely what it boils down to, has a price. Like i said before, the OP may not want to pay that price, but it should have been offered to him, in the way of good customer service, IMO.

Exactly - they can make it as expensive as they wish to accomodate their inconvenice. But it is a shameless poor customer care. Zero love. Never Shiit again. And my RME ADI-2 DAC for Euro 1K outperforms the Yggi anyway...

BobShermanEsq

Sep 28, 2015
Exactly - they can make it as expensive as they wish to accomodate their inconvenice. But it is a shameless poor customer care. Zero love. Never Shiit again. And my RME ADI-2 DAC for Euro 1K outperforms the Yggi anyway...

Did you ever think your request is a bit ridiculous to them? Sorry, but it is to me. Please post a picture of the scratch, so we can better understand your angst.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
That is correct, there is no price in the world of reality to calculate. :)

While that may be true, I still don’t remember seeing how much the OP stated he was willing to pay, or for that matter the rep giving the OP a price at all...thereby allowing him to decide if it was worth it or not. Does the OP not have an option to pay a price that we all would consider ridiculous, but perhaps not to the OP..and certainly not to the manufacturer...:D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing