SET amp owners thread

Mr. Analog

Dec 15, 2021
No idea about Silbatone’s best, the VT2 sounded as good as the WE in Munich, but their lowest model 300b neohybrid is quite poor even a DIY first watt was quite better in comparison. The Silvercore neohybrid was very good but I heard it on audionec evo 2 which required some drive though not like cones. I did not directly compare it to a similar powered SET so I cannot say how it compares
Hey Bonzo,

"their lowest model 300b neohybrid"...which one do you mean?

Best regards

AnalogTom

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hey Bonzo,

"their lowest model 300b neohybrid"...which one do you mean?

Best regards

AnalogTom

they had a fairly low priced one 300b neohybrid. I went excitedly to listen and was disappointed so did not check further details. I love their sound at Munich

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
My Silbatone 300b SET amp was not in good condition, thus I brough it to Seoul.

It will be taken care of with courtesy of my friend Mr Chung.

After being back to US, I will test it with either Altec A7 and Lansche 4.1. :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Nat with Eimac tube Vs Dagostino. More weight and dynamic range with the Nat plus tone of course.
Sources: Koetsu blue lace into Zanden, Lampi GG3 with PX25, Studer 807
Pre: NAT Magnetostat SE
79443784-F58F-47AE-B8F3-F5C110D82F14.jpeg A1C8F6B1-1A6D-4D7C-A192-952A29831879.jpeg

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I had my Silbatone 300b SET got repaired in Korea.

Funny thing is that fuse got blown but I could not fix it.

I will try that with Scaena 3.2, Lansche 4.1 and Altec A7 for 180hz or 290 hz up using active crossover.

Reactions: morricab

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
That’s a separate power supply I’m assuming?
Hi Jeff
Indeed it is. Have no idea what’s inside…yet. Total weight is about 60kg for both parts. Amp makes around 20 watts.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I quite like the clean minimalist lines there Brad , My subconscious took me right back to *The Day The Earth Stood Still 1951* View attachment 106492
The lasers only come out if it dislikes your music choice…a sentient amp is not a good idea…

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
The lasers only come out if it dislikes your music choice…a sentient amp is not a good idea…
I thought the lasers were some kind of tube biasing indicators… that would explain the thoriated tungsten burn marks…

Reactions: morricab

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I thought the lasers were some kind of tube biasing indicators… that would explain the thoriated tungsten burn marks…
Unfortunately, the 520 V3 output tube doesn't use Thoriated tungsten filaments... that would be the remit of the GM70 based Amplifon SET 42 SE that is in the background of the main amp chassis photo. Those are VERY bright. You would barely know the 520s are on unless the room is dark.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Unfortunately, the 520 V3 output tube doesn't use Thoriated tungsten filaments... that would be the remit of the GM70 based Amplifon SET 42 SE that is in the background of the main amp chassis photo. Those are VERY bright. You would barely know the 520s are on unless the room is dark.
If the Horning integrated wants to play at the day the earth stood still levels it’s going to have to up its voltage a bit :eek:

You’ve been building up your amp inventory Brad. What are your faves… how does the amplifon stand up against the rest of your amp arsenal.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
If the Horning integrated wants to play at the day the earth stood still levels it’s going to have to up its voltage a bit :eek:

You’ve been building up your amp inventory Brad. What are your faves… how does the amplifon stand up against the rest of your amp arsenal.
I haven't actually had the chance to listen to the new amp yet. I just did a function test that showed it all lit up and all tubes glowed. The 2A3 amp sounds very good but it is destined for the horn driver duty in my DIY setup.

Of other amps I have acquired recently I would rank them as follows:

1) Amplifon SET 42se
2) Silvercore Silberglut
3) Ayon Helios
4) Amare Musica Entropy Diamond

The AC Genus is probably better than all of these, particularly in having a very grounded sound and dynamics. The Amplifon is quite close to these traits and perhaps a bit more transparent...overall pretty competitive if not better. The Amare Musica was really disappointing given the tube complement and overall design. Just didn't open up and seemed less transparent, dynamic and tone was a bit grey and muted. The Ayon Helios was quite seductive sounding with powerfull bass and nice soundstage but was a bit less transparent than the best and a bit overly warm that felt a bit manipulative. The Silvercore is crystal clear with amazing transparency. Bass is decent but it is clearly power limited.

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Anyone here heard Kondo, Wavac, Fi, Shindo, etc using 300B's also listened to the Ayon Spitfire 30 watt SET integrated, using their propriety AA62B triodes (supposedly designed with a nod to the WE300B)? If so, how does the Ayon compare to those other highly respected SET's? Although I own a Spitfire, I have never heard the others with 300B valves in order to compare.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Anyone here heard Kondo, Wavac, Fi, Shindo, etc using 300B's also listened to the Ayon Spitfire 30 watt SET integrated, using their propriety AA62B triodes (supposedly designed with a nod to the WE300B)? If so, how does the Ayon compare to those other highly respected SET's? Although I own a Spitfire, I have never heard the others with 300B valves in order to compare.
I used to own the Ayon Crossfire III and it was a quite good sounding amplifier. It is perhaps a bit "matter of fact" compared to some other SETs but it had very good bass, dynamics, transparency and soundstage. Tone was ok but improved significantly by changing the input and driver tubes. I think the whole range of EML tubes (EML makes the Ayon tubes) are more on the neutral/matter of fact presentation compared to some other tube types I have tried. The Amare Music I had used the EML 1605 output tube and the EML 20B as a driver. It had a little bit of what I heard in the Ayon but was significantly less of everything you would want in a good SET.

That said, the Aries Cerat and Amplifon are both, IMO, significantly better than the Crossfire III even though in isolation the Crossfire is quite good. The Helios has more pizzazz but it is clearly more colorful (colored?).

I have heard the other amps you have indicated from Japan but not in direct comparison. One of the best sounding amps I ever heard was the WAVAC HE-805, which is a very expensive product but sounded rather amazing...note this was at a show and not a long audition.

Kondo i have significant listening time and on the right speakers they are great but really need high sensitivity to perform their best (your Altecs would qualify). Shindo I haven't heard.

Cheers,
Brad

Reactions: Rensselaer

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I used to own the Ayon Crossfire III and it was a quite good sounding amplifier. It is perhaps a bit "matter of fact" compared to some other SETs but it had very good bass, dynamics, transparency and soundstage. Tone was ok but improved significantly by changing the input and driver tubes. I think the whole range of EML tubes (EML makes the Ayon tubes) are more on the neutral/matter of fact presentation compared to some other tube types I have tried. The Amare Music I had used the EML 1605 output tube and the EML 20B as a driver. It had a little bit of what I heard in the Ayon but was significantly less of everything you would want in a good SET.

That said, the Aries Cerat and Amplifon are both, IMO, significantly better than the Crossfire III even though in isolation the Crossfire is quite good. The Helios has more pizzazz but it is clearly more colorful (colored?).

I have heard the other amps you have indicated from Japan but not in direct comparison. One of the best sounding amps I ever heard was the WAVAC HE-805, which is a very expensive product but sounded rather amazing...note this was at a show and not a long audition.

Kondo i have significant listening time and on the right speakers they are great but really need high sensitivity to perform their best (your Altecs would qualify). Shindo I haven't heard.

Cheers,
Brad
As far as Crossfire III is concerned I heavily upgraded mine a few years ago , installed red NOS RCA tubes in pre section and KR 5u4g rectifier.
The power tubes have around 6000 h but are still in good shape.
I use it in winter month, in the summer it is replaced by upgraded hybrid Circle Labs A100 integrated.
Both are perfect match for Trio LE 26.
A few years ago I tried Amare Musica monos plus pre with AG Duo Omega I had under this time, it was the best amplification for Duos I auditioned at home but only marginally better than Crossfire III. Finally I did not change Ayon, it’s a keeper for me.
I had also two Amplifon in the past ( WT 30II and WT 40II with PS 5.1 )but we agreed with Andrzej Piwowarczyk that it is not the best option for Trios.

Attachments

• FBDB16BD-5C5C-47F5-B065-755F01C97094.jpeg
    FBDB16BD-5C5C-47F5-B065-755F01C97094.jpeg
    618.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing