See How Porsche's New All-Electric Sportscar, the Taycan, is Made

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Some might have the patience (half hour), others simply won't. It is fascinating nonetheless.
And yes I watched it all. Prepare to be amazed; not by the car but by the robots and dedicated human team. It's like a linear tracking arm designed and made by Rainer and team from Germany. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: GSOphile

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Fun racing ...
https://www.businessinsider.com/porsche-taycan-beats-tesla-model-s-drag-race-2019-10

Fun facts ...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradte...sche-taycan-looks-nice-but-is-no-tesla-killer

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
My sister has ordered one. Actually getting Porsche to even accept the deposit was a real challenge so she told me. The London dealership she uses is apparently useless. Mine is pretty good to be fair.

She has a Cayenne and a few other cars and I drive a Boxster. Looking forward to a go in it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Between the Taycan and the Roadster (Tesla) I prefer the Taycan (design wise).
But I would buy the Roadster @ the end; I'm willing to make sacrifices/concessions.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I test drove a Model 3 Performance and whilst it is fast on a straight line 911s, Caymans and Boxsters all handle better. TBH the mid engine Porsches handle better than the 911s.

The Roadster looks like fun, though. And it's better looking than the Taycan. When Porsche do a decent electric two seater you can flip the lid off I will be interested.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Interesting...

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
Interesting...
You mean EVs can actually still move after pulling 15 consecutive 1/4 miles? :) Anyway, this is what Doug DeMuro has to say about repeatedly dropping the throttle in the Taycan:

Oh, and he talks about "incredibly planted and flat and stable." Almost 5,000lbs and planted and flat etc. Wow...

Reactions: DaveC

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Really nice car. What has seemed to be a major problem for the top car manufacturers in competing with Tesla has been the problem of cannibalizing sales of their own ICE (internal combustion engine) cars if they build competitors to Tesla with the same style level, flair and performance as a Tesla. The Porsche Taycan is the first car that I have from a major manufacturer that does this. They keep from competing with their ICE cars by putting the price point significantly above their major sellers. Don't think it will be a best seller with a price point from low to mid six figures. I can see a sales person at Mercedes or BMW having an electric car at the price point of a Tesla Model 3, with the style and flair of a Mercedes C class or BMW 3 class, and the customer saying I want that instead of the C class or 3 class that I wanted to buy. At this point, not only are they not gaining net sales, but making considerably less money than their ICE car brings them (with the electric car having both a lower margin and lower long term maintenance/repair costs - where most dealers are making their real money).

The company that I hoped would be the real Tesla competitor was Toyota. They were early in the electric game (at least hybrid electric) with the Prius, and have the best track record in quality manufacturing. Their stock price compared to all the other ICE companies has reflected that leadership. However, their major entry into the non-ICE market has been the hydrogen fuel cell Mirai. It was very heavily advertised in northern California, where we (and Tesla) live, so I explored it. Nice looking car, especially the new model. Competes with the mid-higher level Lexus. However, I would be traveling 20 miles to fuel up. Unless you drive or work near a fuel station, it seems to be not viable. They need to have a denser distribution of filling stations than Tesla, since they can't have hydrogen fueling at home. I've heard Toyota is finally looking seriously at electric.

Larry

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
You mean EVs can actually still move after pulling 15 consecutive 1/4 miles? :) Anyway, this is what Doug DeMuro has to say about repeatedly dropping the throttle in the Taycan:

Oh, and he talks about "incredibly planted and flat and stable." Almost 5,000lbs and planted and flat etc. Wow...

A friend has a Model 3 Performance, which hits 60 in 2.9s with a recent software update. It's amazing off the line, like dumping the clutch in a high-hp awd turbo car, but it's effortless and it doesn't feel abusive. It's handling is competent, but not impressive vs a Caddy ATS-V or Camaro with mag-ride, so I can imagine the Porsche is probably light years ahead of Tesla in handling and overall feel of the car. Stable power delivery is a big plus too, the Tesla slows down A LOT with repeated acceleration events, but to their credit the M3 Performance is very fast at autocross.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing