Searching for Best Version of Carmina Burana ?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I've heard/owned most of them over the years and the performances I like best are the original Jochum, Fruhbeck de Burgos and Kegel. I cannot comment on particular release or sound quality because I have not played any vinyl for many years, I have grown terminally tired of Carmina Burana and would opt for a modern multichannel recording if I wanted a "sonic experience."

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
The Muti on EMI is a favorite especially for Arleen Auger's brilliance. It’s been issued on vinyl repeatedly (see Discogs) but if you can find the Japan pressing Angel Records – EAC-80592, you'll have a good benchmark. View attachment 105045
Thank you Scott for your reply and recommendation. Much appreciated.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
The Speakers Corner reissue is all analogue:

It may be worth finding one still sealed.

I have the original DGG and the Speakers Corner reissue.
Thank you 'oldvinyl' for your reply. Much appreciated. I will check this out.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I've heard/owned most of them over the years and the performances I like best are the original Jochum, Fruhbeck de Burgos and Kegel. I cannot comment on particular release or sound quality because I have not played any vinyl for many years, I have grown terminally tired of Carmina Burana and would opt for a modern multichannel recording if I wanted a "sonic experience."
Thank you Kal for your reply and recommendations. Much appreciated.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
I used to have half a dozen Carmina Burana and ended with the Jochum, IMO the best performance by far -- which you already have! Sorry not to be more helpful...

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
I always liked the Ricardo Chailly with the Berlin choir on Decca. Perhaps because it was my first taste of CB.
+1 on the Anima Eterna too.
there’s also a nice chamber version on the BIS label.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
When I was looking for the best recording of this, I went with the professional reviewers (Penguin and Gramophone Guides) and bought this CD:

LSO - Richard Hickox / Carmina Burana
MCA Classics from 1987 I think

An oldie but a goodie. Try streaming each of the recommended versions before purchase of hard media. Peter

Last edited:

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Many will remember this TV version from the 70's, my introduction to CB,

• Love
Reactions: andi and kodomo

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
The Telarc, despite its Soundstream origins, has arguably the best sound of any version on vinyl, along with a top class performance. The reissue by Craft Recordings is excellent though the original issue might be preferred by some. They’re very close.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
The Telarc, despite its Soundstream origins, has arguably the best sound of any version on vinyl, along with a top class performance. The reissue by Craft Recordings is excellent though the original issue might be preferred by some. They’re very close.
Thank you 'miniguy' for your reply. Much appreciated.
I have ordered this LP on Amazon yesterday evening from 'DeYoung's recommendation. Will be with me tomorrow.

Reactions: DeYoung

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I would describe this as an alternative take on Carmina Burana. They worked from original manuscripts and documented melodies where the verse had been set to music. Led by Clemencic Consort on Harmonia Mundi.

View attachment 105107
Ooo This looks interesting 'oldvinyl'. Thank you for your reply and your recommendations. Very much appreciated.
I will do some searching on the internet tomorrow from your information.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Yes.. Its an excellent performance., imo...Telarc digital is very good and sounds excellent.
Judith Blegen has an especially beautiful voice...
I can recommend without reservation.
Hi 'DeYoung',
After a wash on my Keith Monks Classic RCM, playing my new Carmina Burana LP you recommended to me.
Sounds fantastic A+ :) . Thank you once again for the great recommendation !

thumbnail_IMG_3300.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3299.jpg

DeYoung

VIP/Donor
Feb 20, 2019
KY

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

Here's one of apparently several versions offered by Telarc Digital.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

Here is an alternate translation of the lyrics of Carmina Burana. Larry
Variations on a theme by Larry… my all time fave fortuna… gopher tuna!!! Does Carl Orfful’s oh for tuna get any better than in this timeless and most awesome version… suck juice from goose… but then in the end just let us all eat cake!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing