Roon Frustration -Again

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Vp of Sound Quality. An update is not released until Christoph signs off on the release
After the 903 up to 913 desaster and then my naively unreflected update to 918, I stopped being the guinea pig and wait for other trusted ears before I update again.
I haven't yet updated to 923 or 931

Reactions: the sound of Tao

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
So what happened to Qobuz yesterday? Was that Roon related? My Roon couldn't play anything from Qobuz.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
When you come from Lichtenstein we expect castles with a lot of rooms ;). Do you have a room endpoint in your toilet. I know of one member here who has a very good sound system in his toilet.
Let’s hope the sound quality of Roon’s end-point isn’t destined to end up in the toilet as well :rolleyes:… lately they've not been exactly ‘flush with success’ :eek:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Makes me glad I haven’t yet tried streaming. Maybe in a year or two.

Reactions: nirodha

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
So what happened to Qobuz yesterday? Was that Roon related? My Roon couldn't play anything from Qobuz.
It was not roon related.
That was Qobuz alone.
But it was fixed rather swiftly

Reactions: howiebrou

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
It was not roon related.
That was Qobuz alone.
But it was fixed rather swiftly

I'm still on ROON Build 913 as I have been afraid to update anything. Is the latest version OK relative to 913?

Thanks in advance.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I don’t feel that Roon has been sonically at its best for a while… the recent iterations have all been travelling in a similar ballpark, maybe different between each but still with just less overall sense of musical connect than Roon 1.8 pre 900 builds… outputting through squeeze makes it all more ok in the end.

Reactions: christoph

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
I don’t feel that Roon has been sonically at its best for a while… the recent iterations have all been travelling in a similar ballpark, maybe different between each but still with just less overall sense of musical connect than Roon 1.8 pre 900 builds… outputting through squeeze makes it all more ok in the end.
I have also found ROON core + Squeeze Player is a better combination with my Antipodes K50…. I have mostly stopped worrying about the changes to ROON player.

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Why are you afraid to update?

Because I am afraid that the new update might be WORSE than 913. As bad as 913 is, it's possible it's better than the current version. I was awaiting confirmation from someone that has the latest version that it is indeed better than 913.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Because I am afraid that the new update might be WORSE than 913. As bad as 913 is, it's possible it's better than the current version. I was awaiting confirmation from someone that has the latest version that it is indeed better than 913.
Only you can tell if Roon v913 sounds better or worse than v936. Why not load the new version and if you don't like it go back to v913?

Reactions: ihmeyers

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Only you can tell if Roon v913 sounds better or worse than v936. Why not load the new version and if you don't like it go back to v913?

I thought that you couldn't roll back. If you can why don't people just revert to pre-913? I'd love to be able to do that. Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: Steve Williams

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I thought that you couldn't roll back. If you can why don't people just revert to pre-913? I'd love to be able to do that. Thanks for the reply.
Now I could be wrong but I was always under the impression that you could just restore from a Roon backup. So if you have v913 backed up you could just restore to that version. I don't believe you can be at say v936 and run some software that will revert back to v913. Might be a question you can post on Roon's forum. Again I could be wrong.

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
You could be right. I know reverting is very difficult if at all possible. I don't think I have a back to restore pre 913 but if you're correct I could make one for 913 to potentially restore.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I totally agree. I have never heard of anyone doing such a thing

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I totally agree. I have never heard of anyone doing such a thing
I posted a question in Roon's Forum asking. I know when I moved from a Mac Mini to a Nucleus+ I just grabbed one of my backed up database files and did a restore.

Now just to be clear, I'm not talking about converting one's current version to a previous version. I'm talking about doing a complete rebuild/restore of Roon to a previous saved version. Obviously any changes made between the previous saved/backed up version and the current version would be lost.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I posted a question in Roon's Forum asking. I know when I moved from a Mac Mini to a Nucleus+ I just grabbed one of my backed up database files and did a restore.

Now just to be clear, I'm not talking about converting one's current version to a previous version. I'm talking about doing a complete rebuild/restore of Roon to a previous saved version. Obviously any changes made between the previous saved/backed up version and the current version would be lost.
Thats very interesting if successful. I dumped Roon several years ago and have never looked back

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Now I could be wrong but I was always under the impression that you could just restore from a Roon backup. So if you have v913 backed up you could just restore to that version. I don't believe you can be at say v936 and run some software that will revert back to v913. Might be a question you can post on Roon's forum. Again I could be wrong.
Your Roon Database backup includes the library's metadata, it also contains any edits you've made, your play history, all of your Roon playlists, your favorites, your settings, and more. All of this information is stored in your Roon Database.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing