Rocketman (2019) - Official Trailer - Paramount Pictures

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Is it time to have a seperate Oscars and GGlobes category for biopics/musicals and the rest, incl Best Actor in the role?

Otherwise fluff like this will win Best Pic, Actor, Actress every other year at least.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Marc

I would say that over 90%of the movies made today are loosely based on fact, hence a biopic. Having said that I do like the way the GG's have separate categories for best picture, actor etc depending on whether it is a drama or a musical/comedy

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Steve, it was tough enough on actors and directors in the past to lose out to the "lesser" candidate.

But nowadays they have to also contend with bolted-on Best award biopic prizes.

Sorry Steve, biopics are bit of a plague. Up there w Marvel and DC detritus.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Steve, we're defining biopics differently. For me it's a dramatised life story of a musician or writer etc. Not just a film based on a true story.

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
Saw it this afternoon. The Mrs liked it. Me, not so much. I'll say no more so as not to spoil it for others...

Steve Williams

We saw it tonight

I thought it was very good. Like you, my wife also liked it more than me.

Having said thatI thought the first half hour was a little slow but as Elton grew into an adult and his story was told as an opera through all of his songs, I thought it was terrific

Director Dexter Fletcher spared nothing in this film and parts were tough to watch especially the rejection of Elton by his mother and especially his father

Taron Egerton was terrific in his role even though not nearly as good as Rami Malek in Bohemian Rhapsody but unlike Malek, Egerton sang all songs himself

The story is well told albeit very quick as the songs went quickly and Elton aged in the role

His use of sex and drugs were graphically shown until he finally enters rehab and has been sober ever since

It was wonderful to see the story between him and Bernie Taupin and how they remain best friends after 50 years

Elton found his true love 25 years ago in David Furnish and they married and now have 2 young children

The rolling credits are worth watching as they show actualElton in the same costumes used in the movie and the lifelines is uncanny

The kid who played 5 yo Elton looked like an identical twin

The big shock was seeing Bryce Dallas Howard as Elton's mother

Definitely worth the watch.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
We saw it yesterday. I went in with no expectations as I had not even seen the trailer. Both of us enjoyed it or at least as much as you can when someone is dealing with alcohol and drub abuse.

I actually thought it was better than Bohemian Rhapsody. I'm not saying that Taron Egerton did a better job than Rami Malek. I just thought it was a better movie. The scene in the Troubadour where he has his US breakout was really well done.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
My question is if it was true he walked out of Madison Square Gardens in costume ,got into taxi and checked himself into rehab

From what I have read that did not occur as he did not enter rehab until about 1990. I am guessing that was just a way to allow him lay out his story. There were also several other out of sequence song choices. I believe those songs were used for their words and to add to a specific scene rather than to have them in chronological order.

Steve Williams

From what I have read that did not occur as he did not enter rehab until about 1990. I am guessing that was just a way to allow him lay out his story. There were also several other out of sequence song choices. I believe those songs were used for their words and to add to a specific scene rather than to have them in chronological order.

I agree. I said in the OP that the story was told in operatic form using his songs so out of sequence didn't bother me. Rather I thought "how perfect is this song for what is now happening in his life"

Reactions: still-one

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing