RMAF: The Interocitor Saved My Life

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary, I find no mention of this product on his web site. Is it available for sale or is he still thinking about it? Do you have a picture of it and size/weight?

He made two prototypes for the show. It is now available for sale. Picture and more details here: http://www.kosmic.us/smc-interocitor.html

Steve managed to work out a deal with my dealer who has a shopping cart so that people can order it. The picture shows the non-premium connectors as I wouldn't let them take my show system apart to shoot pictures of the good one.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I believe Gary mentioned that it wasn't even a product for offer yet, and Chip wasn't sure he could bring it to market yet.

Lee

It wasn't a product for offer yet, but there was enough interest from the show that he's persuaded to put it into production when he gets home. I refused to let him take the ones he brought to the show back. So, I'll have the one from the show to try evaluate it a bit more when I'm in Seattle.

Amir, if you're interested, we can let you try it out too.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
To your point, is it worth 2500? not in parts possibly, if Steve McCormack's own doubts about saleability is a proxy...but once we get to the extreme (and a product does something to a level that the rest of the market products just dont compare)...it generally becomes a little bit of name your price.

Steve was worried about guys like Frank thinking that he's going to make a killing. But given his time and effort to put the thing together, stocking and inventory, custom tooling and materials that he uses, I thought that it's a fair price. You have to remember my saying that to make a small fortune in the high-end, you need to first start with a very large one.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I arrived to Gary's setup once the issue was resolved, and I really liked what I heard there... Nice set-up Gary! Great speakers....

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
You have to remember my saying that to make a small fortune in the high-end, you need to first start with a very large one.

Gary So you had a "large fortune?" No answer required.

If you wanna win you have to play the game. I'd rather some one drop a couple hundred grand on your speakers than some of this other crap.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
You have to remember my saying that to make a small fortune in the high-end, you need to first start with a very large one.
Nice one, Gary! I visited a bloke doing his own speakers locally a couple of years ago, was doing things in a decently big way, largish commercial premises, distributing some good looking Chinese gear, has probably zero presence out there for 99% of people. Asked how much dough he'd dropped on the effort so far, and just about fell off my chair ...

What's the story about ocean yacht racing being like standing under a cold shower with your clothes on, while tearing up thousand dollar notes ...??

Frank

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
geeezz, we all know (OK, me know!) that stereo can not replicate a live performance, and thus we either replicate the recording or we color the sound...but then there is the third option...undistorted transparency?

Tom is that like when my glasses are clean?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary:

What's the difference between what Steve is doing and what Ed Meitner did many years ago?

http://www.museatex.com/xlink.htm

Hi Myles,
I'm not sure - I'll find out more details over the course of this week, but one big difference is that in the Translinks page you linked to, they recommend that the Translinks NOT be used with high-impedance sources or capacitor coupled sources. Steve's Interocitor is designed to also help with high-impedance sources. I was specifically asking about that because some tube preamps have output impedance ranging in the 100's of ohms and too-high output for SS amps.

He told me that the Interocitor has an input impedance of 75kOhms which will make it a good interface device with it's 12dB step down for that situation. Specifically that's Lloyd's problem with the CJ (?) preamp and Gryphon power amp.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I arrived to Gary's setup once the issue was resolved, and I really liked what I heard there... Nice set-up Gary! Great speakers....

Thanks Fernando. You arrived after the Interocitor was plugged in. Prior to that, I had a jury-rigged a balanced cable with disconnected ground and joined to another balanced cable (this is seen running across the floor in Steve's picture of my room) and that didn't sound quite as good.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Myles,
Steve's Interocitor is designed to also help with high-impedance sources. I was specifically asking about that because some tube preamps have output impedance ranging in the 100's of ohms and too-high output for SS amps.

He told me that the Interocitor has an input impedance of 75kOhms which will make it a good interface device with it's 12dB step down for that situation. Specifically that's Lloyd's problem with the CJ (?) preamp and Gryphon power amp.

Hi Gary...looking forward to your further comments on the Interocitor (when you have some time!). Meanwhile, just got a new CJ pre (GAT) which has output impedance of 100ohms and the Gryphon amp an input impedance of 20kohms...i am hoping this is 'sufficient' to avoid any nasty interfaces. Still interested in this product...just hoping that any awkward impedance imbalances in my system should be relatively slim now. (BTW, you said the Interocitor affects sources as well...i did not realize this was possible if the unit was placed between pre and amp?...can you comment more on how this unit could affect a source impedance issue in such placement (or did i misunderstand)?

Thanks!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Does anyone use a tube buffer when there are impedance mismatches

I used a Musical Fidelity X-10 (the version 1) for a while many years ago. What I didn't like about it was the rate it consumed tubes. The sound seemed to start to deteriorate from the moment the new tube was plugged in (I'm exaggerating a little). I heard that's the problem with the new X-10 V3 too - and the mu-vista tube cannot be replaced. So, you have to factor in that it will only last 10,000 to 15,000 hours and then you have to throw it away.

I even tried my hand at designing one nearly 10 years ago in my tinkering before-Genesis days. The latest I've heard of is the Purity Audio Harmony. However, I haven't wanted to put a tube in my system for over 5 years already.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Gary...looking forward to your further comments on the Interocitor (when you have some time!). Meanwhile, just got a new CJ pre (GAT) which has output impedance of 100ohms and the Gryphon amp an input impedance of 20kohms...i am hoping this is 'sufficient' to avoid any nasty interfaces. Still interested in this product...just hoping that any awkward impedance imbalances in my system should be relatively slim now. (BTW, you said the Interocitor affects sources as well...i did not realize this was possible if the unit was placed between pre and amp?...can you comment more on how this unit could affect a source impedance issue in such placement (or did i misunderstand)?

Thanks!

Hi Lloyd... I originally put the Interocitor between the DAC and the preamp. But there was still some residual ground buzz in the system - probably because the preamp and the front two channels were plugged into three different outlets.

On the scale of things, I would have liked a lower output impedance to a higher input impedance. I'm surprised that the Gryphon is as low as 20kohms. I usually like to design to at least 50kohms. That might be why you had good experience with the MIT interconnects which has an impedance-matching zobel network.

The GAT might also have an output that is too high for you to use the middle of the volume control. If your volume is barely off the zero, you'll have a lot more noise. Preamp noise specifications are usually measured at unity gain, and hence at low levels, your power amp is also amplifying a lot of noise in the musical signal. The benefit of using a well matched preamp/poweramp combo is that with less noise, you have better resolution of micro-details.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I used a Musical Fidelity X-10 (the version 1) for a while many years ago. What I didn't like about it was the rate it consumed tubes. The sound seemed to start to deteriorate from the moment the new tube was plugged in (I'm exaggerating a little). I heard that's the problem with the new X-10 V3 too - and the mu-vista tube cannot be replaced. So, you have to factor in that it will only last 10,000 to 15,000 hours and then you have to throw it away.

I even tried my hand at designing one nearly 10 years ago in my tinkering before-Genesis days. The latest I've heard of is the Purity Audio Harmony. However, I haven't wanted to put a tube in my system for over 5 years already.

Gary

I have used the same Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 with its accompanying separate power supply in my system for almost 4 years with absolutely no deterioration of sound. In fact they go so far as saying that the tubes in it will last 10,000 hours. You are correct about not being able to replace the tube. BTW, Musical Fidelity hasn't made this Tube Buffer in years. Could this be the reason. IMO the addition of the separate power supply made a big difference

I use the Tube Buffer to integrate my Gotham subs and their 3800 watt amplifier with my Lamm ML3 amp at 32 wpc where there is a huge impedance mismatch and just have never had a problem. That's why I asked the question

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary

I have used the same Musical Fidelity X-10 with its accompanying separate power supply in my system for almost 4 years with absolutely no deterioration of sound. In fact they go so far as saying that the tubes in it will last 10,000 hours

I use the Tube Buffer to integrate my Gotham subs and their 3800 watt amplifier with my Lamm ML3 amp and just have never had a problem. That's why I asked the question

Hi Steve - yes, they are supposed to last 10,000 to 15,000 hours. So you're good. I don't think that the sound degradation would be heard if it's used as a buffer to the subwoofers. That's a good place to put them in that case!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Steve, come to think about it, you may have found a way to integrate separate externally-powered subwoofers into your system. (There was a thread on this very topic some time ago.)

The tube buffers have a group delay from the input to the output. So, by inserting the tube buffers between the preamp output and the input to the SS amps in your subwoofers, you have managed to correctly integrated the subs to your speakers (where there is a tube power amp between the preamp output and the speakers).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing