RMAF 2013: Gear worth making the trip to Denver to hear... And not!

Saturntube

Industry Expert
Feb 8, 2011
Austin Texas
www.SadurniAcoustics.com
Sadurni Acoustics RMAF Amps

"Do I recall seeing a tube on the horn"

"why is it there and what is driving it "

"That's a nondescript 300b tube amp driving the horns. I'll have the video up my mid week. "

Hello Steve, Mosin, cjfrbw and of course; thanks Peter for that great video!

About the amp, well it is a 300B tube with a 2.5 Volt heater, it is working as a 45 tube in that amp: It seems the TJ 45 tube being made today is this same one, with different lettering. I wont go into a lot of detail about the tube, but we had at hand some nice Cunningham-RCA 45 tubes we could swap, turns out we never had the chance! For the curious ones, the difference in sound is not too big, while the 45 sounds very natural and concise, the 300B 2.5V gives out what the builders called a more Technicolor presentation, I thought for the show this would be more pleasant, a fuller sounding better for most types of music. With the 45 tubes the sound becomes very good mostly for classical music, violins are amazing and the differentiation between strings is better...

The amplifier is a Shunt regulated 45, both the driver and the output tubes are shunt regulated, which is not a common feature in tube amps. Since we only need 2 watts given the high effciency of the speakers, doing this turned out to be quite simple. I am not the amplifier designer, the design is originally from Paul Joppa with some modifcactions done by the builders, yes it is a Parafeed output, the trafos are Nickel core and has top parts everywhere. I have listened to a lot of amps in my sytem in all price ranges, I like this ones at the moment.

Why are they there?

Since we were taking only a digital source, no preamp was absolutely necesary, so we decided go puristic and get rid of most cables possible and inserted the amp at the bottom of the speakers, right next to the outboard xover (which we modified a bit). This gave us the chance to to use only one KS Elation interconnect from the DAC to the amp, and hook the amp output directly to our "internal wiring" which in our case is pretty external. On our test system this gave out amazing tone and clarity, sadly most of which dissapeared once in the Show room!

Now our speakers are biamped: We were using the output of the 45 tube amps to drive an pair of mono Active xovers (included in the speakers) and these xovers drive a solid state Bass amp: we used an Audiolab 8000 amp this time, given that we had the phase setting done previously at our sound room. Xovers are set from 110 hz down to 25 hz. The bass amp was set in the rack and was sometimes mistaken as the amp driving the horns: not the case at all.

Jorge Sadurni (Saturntube)
Sadurni Acoustics

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing