Resolution vs. Musicality

WLGMuzza

Oct 20, 2019
Aotearoa
A very interesting thread, if somewhat circular. To me the concepts are simple:

Resolution is an objective term, and includes a systems ability to resolve timbre, tone and timing as the performer / recording engineer intended, be it electronic music or 'analogue' instruments and voices recorded in a studio or live.

Musicality is how the 'perfomance' captured in that recording impacts you emotionally.

I can listen to music on my Megaboom and be emotionally impacted by a performance.

I can listen to music on my $100K plus system and not get involved in the performance at at all - whatever the objective quality / resolution of the recording.

Having said that my $100K system means I hear more of the emotion from the performers / performance, and therefore is likely to impact me more, but not exclusively so.

For example I can hear the recording studio on Muddy Waters Folk Singer on the big rig, but not on the Megaboom. I still love to hear this performance on the Megaboom when the big rig isn't available.

Another factor is what I consider musical is not the same as what you might consider musical - we have different subjective tastes. Being subjective, musicality is impacted by a person's emotional / psychological state at the time whereas resolution, in the same system, never changes.

Therefore a performance can be musical and emotionally engaging in the car, via my phone and other less resolving systems. Would I prefer to listen to the big rig rather than the car stereo (a very nice Meridian system)? Absolutely, but I couldn't fit the truck I'd need to house it into my garage.....

YMMV.

Enjoy the music!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing