Regar Planar 1 Old vs New

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
If you go to the Rega home page you can find

If you click on the product timeline and then choose Turntables, you can limit the timeline to them.

There have been changes to the Planar 1 over its 18 year history. But aside from building in a phono preamp on some versions, the changes look pretty superficial.

The Planar 1 is a great entry level product to give a buyer a low risk chance to find out if they might like vinyl. And this is true of any model year.

If you’re pretty sure you do like vinyl, the Planar 3 might be a better choice for the long haul. Some people never upgrade from the Planar 3.

Askoe

Jul 30, 2023
Thanks for the answer!

I did find that timeline, although what exact changes that were made seemed sparingly mentioned. After some more research I did however find out about the changes with the new black finish design, RB110 tonearm upgrade from RB101, new 24V, low noise, synchronous motor with better speed stability, new plinth (higher mass, phenolic platter) and such.

For me being kind of new to this hobby, this doesn't say so much. That's why I hoped someone more in the know could give a heads up to what it actually amounts to in practical listening terms. According to 'theaudiophileman': 'If you can find one cheap enough, grab a RP1, it sounds excellent and will serve you well. That said, if you can save up for a new Planar 1, go for that instead.'

Since I found an almost unplayed 2010 P1 for around 170$ it seems a good start rather than investing the double for the new one while I am feeling the waters of the vinyl-world and then perhaps upgrade to a Planar 3 if my interest continues and hightens. :)

Askoe

Jul 30, 2023
I am using it on a setup with Klipsch RF82 speakers and Harman Kardon HK3390 stereo receiver by the way, and will mostly be playing the classics from 60s and 70s such as Pink Floyd, Beatles and so on.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
'If you can find one cheap enough, grab a RP1, it sounds excellent and will serve you well. That said, if you can save up for a new Planar 1, go for that instead.'
I don't think there is better advice than that. If you are new to vinyl I would urge you to get the second-hand RP1. Learn the ropes of vinyl with it. Then you might want to upgrade to a better model, or just spend more on LPs.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing