Ref 150 power amp

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Hi to all,

Does anyone have a picture of the Ref 150? Just saw the news from arcdb.com.It uses the KT120power tubes and it has 150w/ch w/1,100 joules energy storage. The Ref 150 reminds me of the D79 series, they had 75w/ch but they had a massive power supply and energy storage of 550 joules. This amp's were the reference series of their time.

tdh888

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
http://audioresearch.com/Reference150.html

According to the description: Bass extension, harmonic delineation and speaker driver control are the best ever to come from an Audio Research tube amplifier, regardless of power output – and that is saying something.

Sounds like new models of other amps will be coming soon.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Any new ARC Ref product always represents the best of whatever they have made previously. They must have someone in charge of finding new adjectives to describe how wonderful the new pieces of gear are.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Any new ARC Ref product always represents the best of whatever they have made previously. They must have someone in charge of finding new adjectives to describe how wonderful the new pieces of gear are.

:D No need to, reviewers and we the Audiophiles will fill their blanks .... and we will find the 5000 hours break-in period normal ...

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi to all,

Does anyone have a picture of the Ref 150? Just saw the news from arcdb.com.It uses the KT120power tubes and it has 150w/ch w/1,100 joules energy storage. The Ref 150 reminds me of the D79 series, they had 75w/ch but they had a massive power supply and energy storage of 550 joules. This amp's were the reference series of their time.

tdh888

Hi tdh888,

You can find a picture here, on ARC's own website:

It uses 4 output tubes per channel, which is the same number as that of the VS115 which I just got, but this ref150 amp packs 150 watts instead of my amp which has only 120 watts.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Interesting comment. Sometimes I also feel the same, and question myself – is high-end really improving? As I have followed ARC for 25 years, I must say that in general yes, the trend is really positive. Sometimes, there were some changes that created mainly a different sound or introduced a new technology, not something that was much better, and a few steps were in the long time back steps. We can have preferences for some models, but ARC created some real landmarks.

As I have owned some of their mythical designs (SP8, SP10, SP15A, LS5 mk3, several REFs ), every time I see them for sale I remember the good times and sound I had with them, and think how good they were. But a few years ago I managed to get an SP10 to compare with my current ARC preamplifier at that time - an ARC Ref3 – and no doubt the new unit was much better.

It is curious how fast we adapt to improvements in the system and sound quality. For a few weeks we notice them, then we just get used. But if we take them back anytime we immediately miss them!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
:D No need to, reviewers and we the Audiophiles will fill their blanks .... and we will find the 5000 hours break-in period normal ...

Frantz,
I was just going to spot only your (intentional ? :rolleyes: ) 5000 hours mistake - ARC quotes 600 hours.
But can not resist - it is better to have 600 hours burn-in than 500000 hours of sterile (put it here some brand you do not like ... ;))

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Hi tdh888,

It uses 4 output tubes per channel, which is the same number as that of the VS115 which I just got, but this ref150 amp packs 150 watts instead of my amp which has only 120 watts.

Thank you guys for the reply. Sorry for my late reply. Thanks Jadis for the tip. congrats on the acquisition of the VS 115. Saw the pictures of the Ref 150 I was impressed by the number of filter caps it has. I hope our local dealer will have one soon so we can listen to it. Audio Research equipment really sounds best when its fully broken in ( 600 hrs or higher)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thank you guys for the reply. Sorry for my late reply. Thanks Jadis for the tip. congrats on the acquisition of the VS 115. Saw the pictures of the Ref 150 I was impressed by the number of filter caps it has. I hope our local dealer will have one soon so we can listen to it. Audio Research equipment really sounds best when its fully broken in ( 600 hrs or higher)

Thanks too, tdh888. I'm probably at around 100 hours and it's coming along nicely.

kenklein1

Jun 11, 2011
Hi tdh888,

Hi Jadis, How do you like your VS 115? For the price difference between the VS and the REF 110 and REF 150 it appears to be a very good value

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Jadis, How do you like your VS 115? For the price difference between the VS and the REF 110 and REF 150 it appears to be a very good value

hi kenkein1,

very good value, that's exactly it. the vs115 improves over my older vs110 in tems of mid and high refinement, a more laid back sound stage and a bass that reminds me of the 'sledge hammer bass' of my old conrad johnson mv125. it has authority, considering my speakers are the magnepan mg2.7QR. the ref 110 costs $3500 more and may sound even better than the vs115 but right now i like my vs115 very much, and the break-in is coming along just fine - maybe close to 150 hours now. i also like the open tube chassis design of the vs series for better tube cooling and biasing. :)

kenklein1

Jun 11, 2011
,Thank you very much for the very informative reply! I will be shopping for a VS 115 next week. I just picked up an almost new REF 5 at 60% of retail and I am pretty sure it will sound awesome with a new VS115 or a used ref110 both are in the 6k to 7K range. I did see a used vs115 on audiogon for 3800 but I think it is an early production unit and I would have to retube it KT120s now, But if I can buy it for 3K that would probably be a good buy. Thanks again!

very good value, that's exactly it. the vs115 improves over my older vs110 in tems of mid and high refinement, a more laid back sound stage and a bass that reminds me of the 'sledge hammer bass' of my old conrad johnson mv125. it has authority, considering my speakers are the magnepan mg2.7QR. the ref 110 costs $3500 more and may sound even better than the vs115 but right now i like my vs115 very much, and the break-in is coming along just fine - maybe close to 150 hours now. i also like the open tube chassis design of the vs series for better tube cooling and biasing. :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
,Thank you very much for the very informative reply! I will be shopping for a VS 115 next week. I just picked up an almost new REF 5 at 60% of retail and I am pretty sure it will sound awesome with a new VS115 or a used ref110 both are in the 6k to 7K range. I did see a used vs115 on audiogon for 3800 but I think it is an early production unit and I would have to retube it KT120s now, But if I can buy it for 3K that would probably be a good buy. Thanks again!

anytime, kenklein. enjoy your shopping and good listening!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing