Jun 13, 2013
E. England
AudioQuattr?

Reactions: bonzo75

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
audioquattr formerly auditioned a 5T. I thought the Grado Epoch sounded greatly epic on the 5T on the TechDAS AF3P. It sounded so alive and ethereal and freed from the grooves that I was ready to buy that cartridge/tonearm combination on the spot.

But the 5T is a bit of a Rube Goldberg contraption. I’m not saying it seems too complicated, but, to this layman, it seems complicated.

The 5T uses a laser to keep the linear tracker on track. Literally while we were playing a record, the setting sun outside audioquattr’s window descended at just the right angle to be seen by the 5T’s optical system and, blinded by the sun, the tonearm threw a fit, jumping across the record.

Hopefully audioquattr will weigh in here.

Reactions: bazelio and bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
audioquattr formerly auditioned a 5T. I thought the Grado Epoch sounded greatly epic on the 5T on the TechDAS AF3P. It sounded so alive and ethereal and freed from the grooves that I was ready to buy that cartridge/tonearm combination on the spot.

But the 5T is a bit of a Rube Goldberg contraption. I’m not saying it seems too complicated, but, to this layman, it seems complicated.

The 5T uses a laser to keep the linear tracker on track. Literally while we were playing a record, the setting sun outside audioquattr’s window descended at just the right angle to be seen by the 5T’s optical system and, blinded by the sun, the tonearm threw a fit, jumping across the record.

Hopefully audioquattr will weigh in here.

No sunlight. That's why analog set up is called the dark art

• Haha
Reactions: hogen

108CY

May 4, 2013
I own a 5T amongst other tonearms,the 5T is a wonderful gem of a tonearm indeed set up is a little tricky and takes a bit of time and patience, it is superbly well made, with the appropriate cartridge set up it produces great Midrange presence with a floating ability I find it in comparison it highlights colour on say a Fidelity research fr66 and more so than an ikeda.

The tonearm has produces a wonderful expansive sound stage maybe not the most solid sounding in the bottom end but also does very very well in the grain department. This arm in my opinion is one the special un gems out there it has a true ability to captivate you and draw you into the music that is only heard from a select few tonearms.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

Vienna

VIP/Donor
A friend of mine had great expectations from this Tonearm and was very disappointed. Had ordered it with Macassar ebony wand.

Reactions: 108CY

108CY

May 4, 2013
A friend of mine had great expectations from this Tonearm and was very disappointed. Had ordered it with Macassar ebony wand.

certainly not for the faint hearted

Vienna

VIP/Donor

108CY

May 4, 2013
I had listened this Tonearm too, it was a disaster at the bottom end

Like everything its down to correct matching of turntable and cartridge and system, I can get it sounding quite sublime.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

In what ways was your friend disappointed in the Reed 5T?

Vienna

VIP/Donor
In what ways was your friend disappointed in the Reed 5T?
He dealt with this tonearm for two weeks before returning it back. He told me that the tonearm is consisiting of too many individual elements which are vibrating and resonating

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
He dealt with this tonearm for two weeks before returning it back. He told me that the tonearm is consisiting of too many individual elements which are vibrating and resonating

Very interesting. Thank you.

I still have a fascination with the 5T because I heard airiness and ethereal magic like I have never heard before when the Grado Epoch was on the 5T at audioquattr three years ago.

Reactions: 108CY

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing