Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I, too, was thinking about this for source components.

I really have to compare directly this P20 with the Torus AVR 60 BAL I have been planning on.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I, too, was thinking about this for source components.

I really have to compare directly this P20 with the Torus AVR 60 BAL I have been planning on.

I use Torus RM15 Plus's...one each for my power amps. Regeneration is not the way to go for power hungry amps. Nothing beats the instantaneous hi current of toroidal transformers...versus amps plugged direct into wall outlet.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Without hearing it for myself I have never been able to get comfortable plugging high current power amps into any device, even an isolation transformer. (I am not in any way suggesting you and Mike are incorrect; only that I did not have a way of actually proving to myself the efficacy of power amps on an isolation transformer.) That is why I decided to forgo the system-wide wall mount Torus unit. It would solve any grounding issue, I know.

I decided to plug the four amps directly into the wall outlets. For the source components I want to use the Torus or, maybe, the P20.

Christian, since you have both the P5 and the RM15 have you ever compared them directly with your phono preamp?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Without hearing it for myself I have never been able to get comfortable plugging high current power amps into any device, even an isolation transformer. (I am not in any way suggesting you and Mike are incorrect; only that I did not have a way of actually proving to myself the efficacy of power amps on an isolation transformer.) That is why I decided to forgo the system-wide wall mount Torus unit. It would solve any grounding issue, I know.

I decided to plug the four amps directly into the wall outlets. For the source components I want to use the Torus or, maybe, the P20.

Christian, since you have both the P5 and the RM15 have you ever compared them directly with your phono preamp?

you have more instantaneous current with an isolation tranny vs plugged directly in the wall (unless outlets come from a wall mount tranny). Huge difference in performance. My amps gasped for air direct into the wall compared to now with a tranny.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Absolutely; when i used to use a P10, amps (200+watt CF mono's) had to go from wall outlet, which was a 10mm spur. Now using transformers and cleaner, more transparent effortless sound. Regen is in my experience, not the best option, for source or power amps. A 2kva transformer will give nearly 9 amps, which is plenty, even for big valve mono's.

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Hello,
unfortunately there are not many users of the PS Audio P20 directstream power plant out there, at least I don’t really read much about it?
Wouldn’t you recommend ist?

I had a P10 power plant for about one year in my system. First I thought it would be very good, but after some listening test I found it showed more space, more attack and precise bass, but the flow and naturalness of the system was less.
After that I have sold it, wanted to try a P20, but I have never done it yet.

What are your findings?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing