Power Conditioner/Distribution

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Yes Ack you are right.
The hum is in both speakers.
This item is also detected by the distributor but no solution till now.
I did all the things you said except adding a low impedance.
I think is the same you get with the Quantum QB4 (a low impedance resistor in the earth connection)
What is the value of the resistor you placed?
When i connect the pre to poweramp (and speakers) the humm is already there (volume set to "0").

I had a hum coming from one of my 360 mono blocks. It went to the importer (More Music) and they had to send a part to Spectral. I really don't know what was wrong with the unit. But one thing I do know: the hum in my speaker was caused by a defect amp.

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
I had a hum coming from one of my 360 mono blocks. It went to the importer (More Music) and they had to send a part to Spectral. I really don't know what was wrong with the unit. But one thing I do know: the hum in my speaker was caused by a defect amp.

I changed everything in my setup but the humm stays!
Has it something todo with my speakers 89dB that i hear the humm?
Is there absolute no humm audible in youre setup ( Ack, Nirodha)?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

There is no hum. With everything else unplugged, plug the DAC or any other source directly to the amp(s); if the hum goes away the preamp is intimately involved in the problem; if not, the amp(s) are probably at fault, assuming again that you actually don't have a ground loop.

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
I connected only the pre to the power amp (nothing connected to the pre) and you can hear the hum.
Both Spectral are connected by RCA.
Not balanced!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I connected only the pre to the power amp (nothing connected to the pre) and you can hear the hum.
Both Spectral are connected by RCA.
Not balanced!

Right, now remove the preamp and plug in the DAC or other source.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010

There is no hum through the speakers. The Spectrals themselves are quiet. My dCS has a slight hum inside the chassis.
Wim

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Ack,
is it safe for him to just plug in the power amp and disconnect everything else? That way it would become obvious if the power amp is to blame.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Yes, it's safe, and he indirectly said he's done it, no hum. It's only when he plugged in the preamp that issue occurs; but that's not conclusive.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Yes, it's safe, and he indirectly said he's done it, no hum. It's only when he plugged in the preamp that issue occurs; but that's not conclusive.
True.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
The QB8 is plugged into a Quantum QX4 that is in turn plugged into the wall.
That's list prices of about $4,000 combined before you even get to any of the equipment.

I suppose if I had the money, I too would be doing such things.

I feel sort of poor right now, but applaud for dedication to the hobby, and to music.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
That's list prices of about $4,000 combined before you even get to any of the equipment.

Hmm, hadn't looked at it from that perspective. And when you factor in the two Brahma power cords that run from the wall to QX4 and QX4 to QB8, it's almost double that amount. But fortunately I was able to score these items for far less than retail.

The Brahmas are worth their weight in gold. A single Brahma used at the wall delivered one of the most significant upgrades I've performed. With a full loom of Nordost power cords, the leading cord used at the wall makes a much more profound improvement then those that follow. My next step somewhere down the road is to move up one level to Valhalla just at the wall. I expect that to be another jaw dropping experience.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I just converted my system to all Shunyata and am now looking to get a DMA 260. I do not follow the line of logic about the Shunyata products and the use of a Triton or the allegation that it is power limiting. I just think that there is now real-world basis or theoretical basis for the comments on this front. The Triton absolutely does not current limit in any way. It is interesting that Goodwin's likes the Triton with Spectral products.

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
I just converted my system to all Shunyata and am now looking to get a DMA 260. I do not follow the line of logic about the Shunyata products and the use of a Triton or the allegation that it is power limiting. I just think that there is now real-world basis or theoretical basis for the comments on this front. The Triton absolutely does not current limit in any way. It is interesting that Goodwin's likes the Triton with Spectral products.

Nearly all power devices these days make that claim..."does not limit current in any way". I've not had a single one that I'd plug a power amp into, especially not my Spectral. I had all Shunyata power gear for a bit but after a while I did not care for the effect. The only power gear I have been able to live with is Acoustic Revive or my current Silver Circle isolation transformers (I do plug my amps into one of these). I have kind of a love hate relationship with audiophile power products in general.

msm_1

Jun 20, 2010
I was thinking about this for some time. Running a pair of original DMA200's ( power at idle is 1200 watts each ) so what it really draws at full usage, I have no idea. So I have been hesitate to try running them thru any Line Conditioner, and have been plugging them directly into the wall plug. Would it make a difference in sound ....idk, but my dealer is open to lending me an older MIT Z conditioner to try ( I have passed )
Good to see other comments though......Mike

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Have recently been using a new Synergistic Research PowerCell for Spectral 260 and pre-amp along with most all my other gear. Have not found any issues with current limiting or other problems. I'll admit that I've yet to compare whether moving the amp back to in-wall has any positive or negative effects. The noise floor has been improved upon with this device, along with the many other active cables I've used from Synergistic Research in my audio chain.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing