Plasma displays inch closer to death

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Bob, do you not think that videophiles are going to go into 4K and OLED's...and away from plasma? BTW, the Onkyo 818 arrived today, I have not had time to set it up, BUT it is one VERY impressive piece of kit. Many thanks for the advice.
Unlike audio, videophiles have become cheap :). It was just a few years ago that folks were buying low-res, low-quality Plasma displays for $20K+. Now, something about their sensibility keeps them from paying thousands of dollars for displays. I have yet to see videophiles moving in either one of those directions in flat panels. On the projector side, Sony has been successful with their $25K 4K projector though.

The market right now seems to be for people with lots of money who want to be the first to have the "best." My company has sold a few Sony 4K flat panels for example to these individuals. The videophile, like myself :), are sitting on the sideline waiting for at least one cycle of price reduction.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Unlike audio, videophiles have become cheap :). It was just a few years ago that folks were buying low-res, low-quality Plasma displays for $20K+. Now, something about their sensibility keeps them from paying thousands of dollars for displays. I have yet to see videophiles moving in either one of those directions in flat panels. On the projector side, Sony has been successful with their $25K 4K projector though.

The market right now seems to be for people with lots of money who want to be the first to have the "best." My company has sold a few Sony 4K flat panels for example to these individuals. The videophile, like myself :), are sitting on the sideline waiting for at least one cycle of price reduction.

Amir, I'm with you. I'm sitting on the sideline also waiting.
Interestingly, when I was talking to the Sony rep last week, he mentioned that Sony was forced to drop their price on the new 4K TV by $1K due to the emergence of the Samsung 4kTV. Samsung had priced their's at $900 less than the Sony. Sony immediately dropped their price. Sometimes, a little competition is a VERY good thing. OTOH, another year or so should bring these sets down to more realistic levels. Question is whether we are all waiting for the OLED's?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Another thing too is that for quite some time to come Ultra HDTVs are going to be used mainly for upscaling 2K (1080p) into 4K.
Nowhere nobody is talking about a new video medium with true Ultra HD resolution. ...It'll be streaming or downloading, and limited and not all up to its full capability.

* How's that receiver thing comin' up Davey?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Bob, I have just been snowed under with work...so the 818 is still not hooked up. I looked at the manual ( on CD format only) and it's almost as long as the bible!:eek: OTOH, the quick start-up guide is where I'm going, so that should get me up and running. I did try and put some quality banana plugs into the speaker connector's...no dice, too big:( I guess bare wire is it. ( So far, this is the ONLY downside I can see to the hook-up capability of the 818).

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Bob, I have just been snowed under with work...so the 818 is still not hooked up. I looked at the manual ( on CD format only) and it's almost as long as the bible!:eek: OTOH, the quick start-up guide is where I'm going, so that should get me up and running. I did try and put some quality banana plugs into the speaker connector's...no dice, too big:( I guess bare wire is it. ( So far, this is the ONLY downside I can see to the hook-up capability of the 818).

What plugs are you using Davey? I just looked at the back panel of the 818 and there appears to be plenty of room.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I tried a pair of Monster Cable gold banana's. The 818's connector's are NOT really designed for anything but bare wire. ( Spades are out ) There's plenty of room, BUT the design of the speaker connector will NOT allow it.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I tried a pair of Monster Cable gold banana's. The 818's connector's are NOT really designed for anything but bare wire. ( Spades are out ) There's plenty of room, BUT the design of the speaker connector will NOT allow it.

Got it! Plugs make things easy for switching as we know, but using bare wire works equally well. Congrats on the new AVR by the way!:D

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I voted with my own money - just ordered the Panasonic 65ST60. I'm retiring my 7 years old LG plasma screen ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing