Phasemation T-2000 - introduction to my favorite Step - Up

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Everytime, when I update my preamp, mostly the problem occurs, that my signal sources do not match perfectly.

Sometimes my Boulder 2008 Phonopreamp is a combination in heaven (like with JRDG Criterion),
sometime the Boulder 2008 sounds like, that all the Boulder prejudice of lean, dry, analytical..., have come together (like with my current Audionet Stern)

So I started again my journey to the best matching (and for me affordable) Phono Stage.
all the different steps can be found here:
(to "google translate" for all the non German readers)

I did a preselection and finally ended up with a shoot out between

- Boulder 2008
- Allnic H7000v (Kron rectifier)
- Phasemation EA-550
in team with
- Phasemation T-1000 step up
- Phasemation T-2000 step up

The Boulder 2008 had the most details, which was not a surprise, the Allnic H7000v was sweet and nice, but too much information were missing, the Phasemation EA-550 were surprisingly good, if combined with the T-2000 step up. T-1000 was still much better than the internal step ups, but the magic started with T-2000.

As all of the three were not according to my (high) expectations, I paired the Phasemation T-2000 step up with Boulder 2008 and the Allnic H7000v.
(I used Etsuro Cobalt Blue cartridge, Glanz MH-124 Tonearm on TechDAS AF3P turntable)

Connecting the T-2000 to Boulder and Allnic showed, that the magic went with the T-2000 to the other Phonostages. The background noise of the Boulder 2008 was significantly reduced, which help the music to start in a more black background, dynamics were increased and an emotional connection to the music was easily possible (sometimes a real challenge for a Boulder component)

Connecting the Phasemation T-2000 to the Allnic H7000v, the level of information increased, which made it possible to perceive the Allnic more neutral in a positive way.
The Allnic became better in differentiating various records and recordings. With the internal Step Ups I had the feeling, that the Allnic is adding always a little sweet blend to every record.
The internal Allnic Step Up is still good, if I compare to some other Step Ups in my collection, but the Phasemation T-2000 is another level.

Finally I decided to go for the Allnic H7000v plus the Phasemation T-2000 step up as my current main Phonostage.

As I am so convinced with the performance the Phasemation T-2000 has shown, I like to introduce the step up a little further.

Phasemation is not very well known in Europe, only a few markest do have an actively acting Inporter.
I am not sure if Phasemation is well known (even available) in the US.

Phasemation describes their company like this:

"Phasemation" is the hi-fi audio brand of Kyodo Denshi Engineering Co., Ltd.
(Previous "PhaseTech" brand of our company was changed to "Phasemation".)
"Phasemation" is a word created by combining "Phase" and "Information".
Fundamentals of hi-fi audio is to reproduce live music stage by left and right two channels sound. To attain that goal, the phase characteristics between the channels are very important, and that is why we created our brand.
The technological root of our company is to develop and manufacture electronic
measurement instruments. We are an engineering company in pursuit of development for full automation autonomous driving technology, using our core
technology. Therefore, we are in a position to be able to utilize our most advanced technology for development and manufacturing of exquisite hi-fi audio equipments where accurate phase characteristics are required.

The sound that we strive after is reproduction of live music stage in front of the listener as if musicians are playing there, and reproduction of players' pathos and emotions. We believe that realization of such musical reproduction is the goal for the sound created by stereo equipments. To realize our goal, important technical elements such as phase characteristics, circuit technology and vibration control technology are required for the stereo system. Using our technology for all these elements, our ideal stereo system can be created and manufactured.

But, however exquisite the stereo system is, it is not possible to reproduce 100% of original live music. After all, they are just audio equipments. So, we strive to create sound as if artists are playing in front of the listener. To realize it, audio equipment's localization ability of sound sources is very important, and our products are developed and made to maintain accurate phase"

photo-1.png t2000_rear_rgb.png

The Phasemation T-2000 is a 2 box step up, which allows a balanced receiving of the cartridge output. They describe the technology of the step up as such:

Balanced Transmission Supported Input Portion​

When generating power through a cartridge coil, a balance operation is conducted essentially. Transmitting this signal with an unbalanced connection results in not only the merit of balanced type is damaged or lost, but also external noises directly affects sound quality.
The basis of wiring at the time of connecting by using a balanced phono cable is shown in Fig. 1. The signal is transmitted from the cartridge coil to the transformer coil through the push-pull balancing circuit and the shield earth covers them. Therefore, the negative effect caused by external noises can be blocked. In addition, the full balanced connection (No.2 pin hot) is structured for the cartridge side by connecting the center of primary coil of transformer to the minus point (signal GND) of the secondary coil.

Newly developed high performance core materials are adopted.​

0.2mm thick permalloy materials which were used previously were reexamined and developed the new "extremely thin super malloy core material." In combination with the large core shape, it reached to have a superior characteristic of very low frequency linearity and high efficiency boosts (low loss) which brings about a detailed atmospheric expression.

The adoption of the best coil winding specifications​

The transformer coil wiring specifications were reexamined and adopted the best fitting value designing specifications taking into consideration the matching of the transformers and impedance values of the cartridges that are in use. In combination with the new coil winding structure, this brings about a transformer of high resolution and wide ranging of sounds. In addition, due to the adoption of high pure copper wire onto the secondary coil winding, it contributes to have a full sound having a better longevity throughout all ranges.
Plus, we indulged to have it be hand made in order to reach the best sound quality. Due to this, it brought about a superior frequency response and phase characteristic to a wide range and decreased the phase distortion within the hearing range and actualized an even clearer static acoustic image.

External induction hums and unnecessary vibration removed​

To handle the external induction hums, the chassis base that is a solid steel sheet plated with copper and the case cover with an induction hum shield are used. In addition, it is a double layer structure due to the magnetic shield material which is placed near the transformer. The rising transformer is made of high damping rubber and floats from the main unit and prevents the external vibration from spreading.
A 20mm thick slant aluminum panel is used for the front panel. Below the unit box, a wood base is added and by mixing it with other materials, the unnecessary vibration is effectively removed and brings about a playing sound with a good S/N ratio.

High Quality Parts Used​

Rhodium plated terminals of FURUTECH products are known for high quality and high sound quality are used for the I/O input terminals.
In addition, TA0C high carbon cast iron insulators are adopted for the feet and contributes to the improvement of the sound resolution.

Product Specification

Best Cartridge's Output Impedance 4 ohms , The cartridge that can be used has an output impedance of 1.5 – 40 ohms.
Load Impedance47k ohms
Step-up Ratio ( voltage gain )26dB
Frequency Response10 - 100kHz (±2dB)
DimensionsW : 214mm?H : 118mm?D : 265mm
Weight4.9kg x2 units
Input/Output TerminalsRhodium plated terminals of FURUTECH

IMG_5220.jpg IMG_5374.jpg IMG_5266.jpg IMG_5375.jpg

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I have tried, if the 1,5ohm to 40ohm DC capacity is just marketing or prooven.The Mutech Hayabusa is a 1,5ohm Cartridge, the Kiseki Blackheart is a 40ohm Cartridge. Both of them were playing like being connected to a matching step up. This was a real surprise to me, as from my standard Step Ups I am used to host 2 to 3 different versions to connect the different cartridges according to the individual best impedance.

Out of the box the T-2000 plays already nice, but a little laid back, but after 10 days of continuous playing (CD signal on repeat and converted to RIAA and MC level) the T-2000 opened up and showed the resolution and dynamic which is so much better, than I am used to get out of step ups , would say, even compared to my former Audio Note JP ANS 7, or Kondo SFZ.

It is a litte bit hard to find the best matching RCA cable between a step up and the MM stage, to minimize capacity is the goal. A short cable is a good start. From there , I am a friend of step ups, which do come with already connected cable. But as the sonic response, using a "wrong" cable is so obvious, the T-2000 guides you fast to find a matching cable.
My starting point was a vintage SME 3012 tonearm cable, I am still trying various cables, but having the SME cable as a base, all others are more fine tuning than vital to enjoy the T-2000.

Currently my Acoustical Systems Axiom tonearm with continuous tonearm cable is connected with XLR to the Phasemation T-2000, an Etsuro Gold cartridge is fitted and the result is very nice.

A friend convinced my, that I have to listen to the Phasemation PP-2000 cartridge connected to the T-2000 step up, which seems to be a dream team of synergy , independent of price,
so I ordered the PP-2000 to find out

If you have access to a Phasemation T-2000 step up in your market, just give this step up a try, even if a reference Phono Stage is in use.
Depending on the cartridge, the result might be a positive surprise.

Etsuro Carts , Koetsu, Lyra (non SL) carts do have best matching 3 to 5ohm DC , others like Ikeda, Lyra SL, My Somic Lab are very close by with 1,5 to 2,5ohm DC resistance.

I would say, above 20 ohm DC resistance, it depends on the individual cart, if the the combination will work. Kiseki has worked fine.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Juergen, do you have access to the full EA2000 set? it would be intriguing to see how that would compare to a T2000 sut plus Allnic.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
this comparison would be a dream :)
But noch chance in Germany

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
I have tried, if the 1,5ohm to 40ohm DC capacity is just marketing or prooven.The Mutech Hayabusa is a 1,5ohm Cartridge, the Kiseki Blackheart is a 40ohm Cartridge. Both of them were playing like being connected to a matching step up. This was a real surprise to me, as from my standard Step Ups I am used to host 2 to 3 different versions to connect the different cartridges according to the individual best impedance.

Out of the box the T-2000 plays already nice, but a little laid back, but after 10 days of continuous playing (CD signal on repeat and converted to RIAA and MC level) the T-2000 opened up and showed the resolution and dynamic which is so much better, than I am used to get out of step ups , would say, even compared to my former Audio Note JP ANS 7, or Kondo SFZ.

It is a litte bit hard to find the best matching RCA cable between a step up and the MM stage, to minimize capacity is the goal. A short cable is a good start. From there , I am a friend of step ups, which do come with already connected cable. But as the sonic response, using a "wrong" cable is so obvious, the T-2000 guides you fast to find a matching cable.
My starting point was a vintage SME 3012 tonearm cable, I am still trying various cables, but having the SME cable as a base, all others are more fine tuning than vital to enjoy the T-2000.

Currently my Acoustical Systems Axiom tonearm with continuous tonearm cable is connected with XLR to the Phasemation T-2000, an Etsuro Gold cartridge is fitted and the result is very nice.

A friend convinced my, that I have to listen to the Phasemation PP-2000 cartridge connected to the T-2000 step up, which seems to be a dream team of synergy , independent of price,
so I ordered the PP-2000 to find out

If you have access to a Phasemation T-2000 step up in your market, just give this step up a try, even if a reference Phono Stage is in use.
Depending on the cartridge, the result might be a positive surprise.

Etsuro Carts , Koetsu, Lyra (non SL) carts do have best matching 3 to 5ohm DC , others like Ikeda, Lyra SL, My Somic Lab are very close by with 1,5 to 2,5ohm DC resistance.

I would say, above 20 ohm DC resistance, it depends on the individual cart, if the the combination will work. Kiseki has worked fine.
New member, have them both. They sound great with my system:
The turntable just an old Garrard 301 balanced upon four squash balls (really, it works), from the Phasemation PP-2000 to the Phasemation T2000 pair I am currently using Majestic 1877 phono (not sure about these yet), phono stage is a Leben RS-30EQ valved (2x JAN 12AT7A G.E. and 1x 6X5GT G.E.) phono pre for MM, from there into my Leben CS-300XS integrated (though I replaced the awful Sovtek valves with NOS Amperex valves for a massive improvement), interconnects are Shindo, Auditorium-23 speaker cables into Thrax Lyra aluminium bodied speakers.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Phasemation PP-2000 cartridge plus Phasemation TT-2000 step up is indeed a magic pair!
Makes the PP-2000 playing far above price point :)

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Hi shake, Your system is far beyond mine in regards to costs and sophistication (I suspect your experience with high end beyond mine as well) so your respect for the Phasemation pairing being "magic", and making the PP-2000 play "far above price point" makes me a lot happier about my spending so much on them.

As you said, Phasemation is not well known in Europe, or the USA I found. I bought the top-of-their-line Phasemation PP-2000 cartridge and T-2000 step-up transformers not because of magazine articles (I believe I wrote the first on-line review of the T-2000), but after talking over the phone for some time to the importer. He also imports Kondo, Lyra and other top-of-the-line items but liked this Phasemation stuff. In fact, the transformers I bought he had bought for himself, but as soon as they arrived he sent them down for me to audition. I liked them so much he let me buy those and ordered another set for himself.

My system now satisfies. No more audio-nervousa. I no longer have that feeling that maybe I need to change interconnects, or perhaps a different cartridge, or I only listen to "certain" records. I can now change emphasis from a sorting my equipment audiophile, to just enjoying all the records I have kind of audiophile. I am not saying it is only because of the Phasemation items that this occurred, but rather that, in combination with my other choices over the years, they finally finish my search to build a system to the quality I needed to stop worrying about pieces of equipment and just sit back and enjoy the music.

This hobby of ours is expensive, not just because that after a certain point every improvement becomes ever-so-slight but costs ever-so-much-more, but also because trying to build a system piecemeal based upon magazine recommendations, often disappoints, and the money spent on those many "upgrades", like ones expectations, becomes loss and self-loathing when the item bought has to be sold on at a loss. When one finally finds a combination of products that work synergistically to provide exactly the quality of sound reproduction that one was looking for when they started down this road, it brings upon one great satisfaction. I attained this finally after this last purchase, after 48 years of trial and error.

montesquieu

Jan 27, 2019
Would be very interesting to try the Phasemation SUTs. The MSL SUTs are on my listening list too. But more out of curiosity as I'm pretty happy with where I'm at at the moment.

I agree that the internal SUTs on the Allnic phono stage (in my case the H7000V) are reasonably good (certainly better than the equivalents in the EAR 912) but can nevertheless be improved on. For example, I found that the Miyajima ETR-Stereo was better (but again, that can also be improved on) - more fleshy and colourful as well as more flexible.

The solution I arrived at was the Allnic H5000 head amp. It won't work with every cartridge as the gain is fixed (29dB - meaning a practical minimum of 0.2mV, perhaps a little more) and loading options limited to 50, 100, 200 and 500 (ideally something like 1k ohm should also be offered). But the Allnic head amp (which uses the little nu-vistor tube) is rather special and improved on any of the SUTs I tried with the Allnic H7000V. It's a different presentation (something more pressurised and dynamic than the flowing but somewhat less dynamic presentation from SUTs) but a very nice match indeed.

One thing to note is that the dedicated head amp with its own PSU is way, way ahead of the internal head amp in some iterations of the H7000 (offered alongside the SUT, each dedicted to one of the MC inputs), which has lower gain and a much flatter feel. Mind you I wasn't able to try it with the sort of cartridge (over 0.5mV) with sufficient voltage to match the lower gain level.

Reactions: shakti

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I recently demoed the Phasemation EA2000 6 box Phono amp against the EMT JPA 66mk2. The Phasemation sounded liquidy but it had only been unboxed a week before so it had not run in. The EMT sounded a bit livelier after it warmed up but sounded a bit thin at the beginning compared to the phasemation. I could live either of these set ups and I guess one question, as I contemplate both, is do I want a phono with 3 MM inputs that need SUTs (Phasemation) or one with 4 inputs (one low gain MC, one high gain MC and 2 MM). My Zanden phono already has 4 MC inputs, so in a way I am tempted by the Phasemation as it brings a different style and configuration to the table rather than partially replicating the Zanden. That and I also used to own the EMT anyway. 6 boxes is a large bit of real estate to occupy though (treat it as 3 full size boxes as each box is half width) and you still need a minimum of 2 more SUTs. I have a MSL 1030 SUT which should mate well with the MSL platinum cart so that only really leaves one more needed to make full use of the 3 inputs.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The phasemation has poor stock valves. Never heard this myself, but it will be significant replacing their recti alone. Were you able to replace them?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I recently demoed the Phasemation EA2000 6 box Phono amp against the EMT JPA 66mk2. The Phasemation sounded liquidy but it had only been unboxed a week before so it had not run in. The EMT sounded a bit livelier after it warmed up but began by sounding a bit thin at the beginning. I could live either of these set ups and I guess the question as I contemplate both is do I want a phono with 3 MM inputs that need SUTs (Phasemation) or one with 4 inputs (one low gain MC, one high gain MC and 2 MM). My Zanden phono is already 4 MC inputs so in a way I am tempted by the Phasemation as it brings a different style to the table rather than partially replicating the Zanden. That and also I used to own the EMT anyway. 6 boxes is a large bit of real estate to occupy though (treat it as 3 full size boxes as each box is half width) and you still need a minimum of 2 more SUTs.
thank you for your comparison!

You can expect the T-2000 step up (as all step ups) becoming more livelier, when having had 100h or even more. Compared to the other step ups I own, I felt, the huge T-2000 has taken even more hours.

I have used a DJ converter (LINE => RIAA) to do the burn in with a CD.
After 300h the sound was settled with more details and energy.

would opt for the EA- 2000, as different Step Ups do bring such a big field of customization and optimization to the field,
I would not like to miss. And the EA-2000 is definitely optimized for the usage of external step ups. And the T-2000 coming as standard is a great bench mark too. Using low DC resistance cartridges from MSL and their derivatives(like Sumile, Mutech, Air Tight) might make the Kondo SFZ the first alternative to go for, using high DC resistance cartridges like Clearaudio Goldfinger or Titanium or the vdh Master Signature might be the next Step Up to look for, may be a customized version from Consolidated Audio? The 3 to 10 ohm carts like Koetsu, Phasmeation, will love the T-2000 anyhow :)

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
thank you for your comparison!

You can expect the T-2000 step up (as all step ups) becoming more livelier, when having had 100h or even more. Compared to the other step ups I own, I felt, the huge T-2000 has taken even more hours.

I have used a DJ converter (LINE => RIAA) to do the burn in with a CD.
After 300h the sound was settled with more details and energy.

would opt for the EA- 2000, as different Step Ups do bring such a big field of customization and optimization to the field,
I would not like to miss. And the EA-2000 is definitely optimized for the usage of external step ups. And the T-2000 coming as standard is a great bench mark too. Using low DC resistance cartridges from MSL and their derivatives(like Sumile, Mutech, Air Tight) might make the Kondo SFZ the first alternative to go for, using high DC resistance cartridges like Clearaudio Goldfinger or Titanium or the vdh Master Signature might be the next Step Up to look for, may be a customized version from Consolidated Audio? The 3 to 10 ohm carts like Koetsu, Phasmeation, will love the T-2000 anyhow :)
Your comments about the carts is interesting. With the Zanden and its 4 MC inputs with built in SUTs (of which I have no particular information) and the Phasemation and the T2000 SUT and MSL 1030 SUT, I wonder how you would allocate the following carts that I have in use: 1. Ikeda 9Gss, Miyabi Fuuga, VDH MSS, MSL sig platinum, Ortofon SPU Century/85 between the two phono amps, at least on paper?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Your comments about the carts is interesting. With the Zanden and its 4 MC inputs with built in SUTs (of which I have no particular information) and the Phasemation and the T2000 SUT and MSL 1030 SUT, I wonder how you would allocate the following carts that I have in use: 1. Ikeda 9Gss, Miyabi Fuuga, VDH MSS, MSL sig platinum, Ortofon SPU Century/85 between the two phono amps, at least on paper?
The 9GSS (3ohm) and the SPU 85 (3,5ohm) are close to each other and should run on both SUT, preferable on the T2000.
The SPU Century (2ohm) might prefer the MSL 1030, but I would try it as well on T-2000
Both vdh will not work properly on both SUT.
Your Zanden will have a a high impedance / low gain input which will be a better fit,
or another 10x step up to buy, which will provide 470ohm load to the vdh carts. I would prefer an external SUT with the chance to use parallel resistors, so you can fine tune the vdh load , sometimes I prefer a load of 200 or 300 ohms for them.
( from the pure spec the T-2000 will work with vdh, but for me this is not the best way to go)

Important is the cable to be used between SUT and PhonoPre. The cable capacity is the measure to look for. The Cart will see this Capacity factored by the step up ratio of the SUT. From there I try to use this cable as short as possible (cheapest way to get the capacity low). Depending on the Cartridge / Tonearm combination and the SUT in use, I prefer silver or copper or hybrid wires. For example Wireworld is offering their RCA cables as Phonocables (incl ground) using the same cable Design with various materials as the only difference.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
The 9GSS (3ohm) and the SPU 85 (3,5ohm) are close to each other and should run on both SUT, preferable on the T2000.
The SPU Century (2ohm) might prefer the MSL 1030, but I would try it as well on T-2000
Both vdh will not work properly on both SUT.
Your Zanden will have a a high impedance / low gain input which will be a better fit,
or another 10x step up to buy, which will provide 470ohm load to the vdh carts. I would prefer an external SUT with the chance to use parallel resistors, so you can fine tune the vdh load , sometimes I prefer a load of 200 or 300 ohms for them.
( from the pure spec the T-2000 will work with vdh, but for me this is not the best way to go)

Important is the cable to be used between SUT and PhonoPre. The cable capacity is the measure to look for. The Cart will see this Capacity factored by the step up ratio of the SUT. From there I try to use this cable as short as possible (cheapest way to get the capacity low). Depending on the Cartridge / Tonearm combination and the SUT in use, I prefer silver or copper or hybrid wires. For example Wireworld is offering their RCA cables as Phonocables (incl ground) using the same cable Design with various materials as the only difference.
The Zanden has 3 settings for low output cartridges and 3 for higher output cartridges:
Low gain:
a. 46ohm with load register 47k ohm
b. 15 ohm with load register 20k ohm
c. 10 ohm with load register 10k ohm

High gain:
a.184 ohm with Load register 47k ohm
b. 78 ohm with load register 20k ohm
c. 39 ohm with load register 10k ohm

Oracle1974

Jun 28, 2020
The Zanden has 3 settings for low output cartridges and 3 for higher output cartridges:
Low gain:

High gain:
With a Zanden and if using a PP-2000 cartridge, would one still require a SUT T-2000?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Everytime, when I update my preamp, mostly the problem occurs, that my signal sources do not match perfectly.

Sometimes my Boulder 2008 Phonopreamp is a combination in heaven (like with JRDG Criterion),
sometime the Boulder 2008 sounds like, that all the Boulder prejudice of lean, dry, analytical..., have come together (like with my current Audionet Stern)

So I started again my journey to the best matching (and for me affordable) Phono Stage.
all the different steps can be found here:
(to "google translate" for all the non German readers)

I did a preselection and finally ended up with a shoot out between

- Boulder 2008
- Allnic H7000v (Kron rectifier)
- Phasemation EA-550
in team with
- Phasemation T-1000 step up
- Phasemation T-2000 step up

The Boulder 2008 had the most details, which was not a surprise, the Allnic H7000v was sweet and nice, but too much information were missing, the Phasemation EA-550 were surprisingly good, if combined with the T-2000 step up. T-1000 was still much better than the internal step ups, but the magic started with T-2000.

As all of the three were not according to my (high) expectations, I paired the Phasemation T-2000 step up with Boulder 2008 and the Allnic H7000v.
(I used Etsuro Cobalt Blue cartridge, Glanz MH-124 Tonearm on TechDAS AF3P turntable)

Connecting the T-2000 to Boulder and Allnic showed, that the magic went with the T-2000 to the other Phonostages. The background noise of the Boulder 2008 was significantly reduced, which help the music to start in a more black background, dynamics were increased and an emotional connection to the music was easily possible (sometimes a real challenge for a Boulder component)

Connecting the Phasemation T-2000 to the Allnic H7000v, the level of information increased, which made it possible to perceive the Allnic more neutral in a positive way.
The Allnic became better in differentiating various records and recordings. With the internal Step Ups I had the feeling, that the Allnic is adding always a little sweet blend to every record.
The internal Allnic Step Up is still good, if I compare to some other Step Ups in my collection, but the Phasemation T-2000 is another level.

Finally I decided to go for the Allnic H7000v plus the Phasemation T-2000 step up as my current main Phonostage.

As I am so convinced with the performance the Phasemation T-2000 has shown, I like to introduce the step up a little further.

Phasemation is not very well known in Europe, only a few markest do have an actively acting Inporter.
I am not sure if Phasemation is well known (even available) in the US.

Phasemation describes their company like this:

"Phasemation" is the hi-fi audio brand of Kyodo Denshi Engineering Co., Ltd.
(Previous "PhaseTech" brand of our company was changed to "Phasemation".)
"Phasemation" is a word created by combining "Phase" and "Information".
Fundamentals of hi-fi audio is to reproduce live music stage by left and right two channels sound. To attain that goal, the phase characteristics between the channels are very important, and that is why we created our brand.
The technological root of our company is to develop and manufacture electronic
measurement instruments. We are an engineering company in pursuit of development for full automation autonomous driving technology, using our core
technology. Therefore, we are in a position to be able to utilize our most advanced technology for development and manufacturing of exquisite hi-fi audio equipments where accurate phase characteristics are required.

The sound that we strive after is reproduction of live music stage in front of the listener as if musicians are playing there, and reproduction of players' pathos and emotions. We believe that realization of such musical reproduction is the goal for the sound created by stereo equipments. To realize our goal, important technical elements such as phase characteristics, circuit technology and vibration control technology are required for the stereo system. Using our technology for all these elements, our ideal stereo system can be created and manufactured.

But, however exquisite the stereo system is, it is not possible to reproduce 100% of original live music. After all, they are just audio equipments. So, we strive to create sound as if artists are playing in front of the listener. To realize it, audio equipment's localization ability of sound sources is very important, and our products are developed and made to maintain accurate phase"

View attachment 75478 View attachment 75477

The Phasemation T-2000 is a 2 box step up, which allows a balanced receiving of the cartridge output. They describe the technology of the step up as such:

Balanced Transmission Supported Input Portion​

When generating power through a cartridge coil, a balance operation is conducted essentially. Transmitting this signal with an unbalanced connection results in not only the merit of balanced type is damaged or lost, but also external noises directly affects sound quality.
The basis of wiring at the time of connecting by using a balanced phono cable is shown in Fig. 1. The signal is transmitted from the cartridge coil to the transformer coil through the push-pull balancing circuit and the shield earth covers them. Therefore, the negative effect caused by external noises can be blocked. In addition, the full balanced connection (No.2 pin hot) is structured for the cartridge side by connecting the center of primary coil of transformer to the minus point (signal GND) of the secondary coil.

Newly developed high performance core materials are adopted.​

0.2mm thick permalloy materials which were used previously were reexamined and developed the new "extremely thin super malloy core material." In combination with the large core shape, it reached to have a superior characteristic of very low frequency linearity and high efficiency boosts (low loss) which brings about a detailed atmospheric expression.

The adoption of the best coil winding specifications​

The transformer coil wiring specifications were reexamined and adopted the best fitting value designing specifications taking into consideration the matching of the transformers and impedance values of the cartridges that are in use. In combination with the new coil winding structure, this brings about a transformer of high resolution and wide ranging of sounds. In addition, due to the adoption of high pure copper wire onto the secondary coil winding, it contributes to have a full sound having a better longevity throughout all ranges.
Plus, we indulged to have it be hand made in order to reach the best sound quality. Due to this, it brought about a superior frequency response and phase characteristic to a wide range and decreased the phase distortion within the hearing range and actualized an even clearer static acoustic image.

External induction hums and unnecessary vibration removed​

To handle the external induction hums, the chassis base that is a solid steel sheet plated with copper and the case cover with an induction hum shield are used. In addition, it is a double layer structure due to the magnetic shield material which is placed near the transformer. The rising transformer is made of high damping rubber and floats from the main unit and prevents the external vibration from spreading.
A 20mm thick slant aluminum panel is used for the front panel. Below the unit box, a wood base is added and by mixing it with other materials, the unnecessary vibration is effectively removed and brings about a playing sound with a good S/N ratio.

High Quality Parts Used​

Rhodium plated terminals of FURUTECH products are known for high quality and high sound quality are used for the I/O input terminals.
In addition, TA0C high carbon cast iron insulators are adopted for the feet and contributes to the improvement of the sound resolution.

Product Specification

Best Cartridge's Output Impedance4 ohms , The cartridge that can be used has an output impedance of 1.5 – 40 ohms.
Load Impedance47k ohms
Step-up Ratio ( voltage gain )26dB
Frequency Response10 - 100kHz (±2dB)
DimensionsW : 214mm?H : 118mm?D : 265mm
Weight4.9kg x2 units
Input/Output TerminalsRhodium plated terminals of FURUTECH

View attachment 75482 View attachment 75483 View attachment 75484 View attachment 75485
Nice! It is interesting that you felt that the internal step-ups on the Allnic were perhaps limiting what it could do. I have a Silvaweld phonostage (from around year 2000) that was designed by KS Park that does not have step-ups (the MC is with a single J-FET then to the tube MM stage) and it is really an awesome sounding phonostage. Better than my friends Allnic 1500se despite having the same designer. I am wondering now if the internal step-ups on that phonostage, which are surely inferior to the ones in the HV7000, were degrading the performance and if he had used better external step-ups it would have raised the performance as much as you describe. I have never found a compelling reason to "upgrade" from my beloved Silvaweld!

Reactions: shakti

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Low gain:

High gain:
Interesting,
on my Zanden 1200 MKIII I can find two position:

Low (impedance), High Gain
38ohm / 68 dB total gain
(which translates roughly into a 36x SUT with 32db SUT gain)

High (Impedance, Low Gain
470ohm / 56dB total gain
(which translates roughly into a 10x SUT with 20db SUT gain)

looks like, that your Zanden Jinpu has instead

1x 30x low impedance / 30db High Gain SUT
and
1x 16x medium Impedance / 23 or 24 db Medium gain SUT

if the 47kohm load is chosen.

Difficult to find a good match for the vdh Master Signature , vdh Gran Cru would be a better fit.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Nice! It is interesting that you felt that the internal step-ups on the Allnic were perhaps limiting what it could do. I have a Silvaweld phonostage (from around year 2000) that was designed by KS Park that does not have step-ups (the MC is with a single J-FET then to the tube MM stage) and it is really an awesome sounding phonostage. Better than my friends Allnic 1500se despite having the same designer. I am wondering now if the internal step-ups on that phonostage, which are surely inferior to the ones in the HV7000, were degrading the performance and if he had used better external step-ups it would have raised the performance as much as you describe. I have never found a compelling reason to "upgrade" from my beloved Silvaweld!
My first contact to KS Parks products is the Silvaweld 650 phono stage, which already has the famous 5U4G Rectifier in the PSU. This Phonostage is now with a friend and I can listen regular to it. The integrated J-Fet is great in sound and it is difficult to find a step up, which can beat the internal J-Fet stage. Comparing Allnic 1500 and Silvaweld can be done with the same external SUT using both the MM inputs. I never did it :)
When we compare J-fet and SUT on my friends Silvaweld, the impedance of the chosen cartridge was always critical, without matching the SUT 100%, the J-fet mostly wins, as more flexible.

KS Park is using more or less the same SUT type in his current Phonostages. I am looking forward to his new silver SUT, planned for 2021. I am not sure if this Silver SUT will be only available as external upgrade or if the SUT will become standard for the Allnic 8000 Phonostage.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing