Peter A.’s System: A Perspective on Natural Sound

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I had before 2 Kondo Souga in passive biamping, that i love,but i found more natural the sound of CH in my system.
Strange but is the reality
Anyway i would like to buy some Kondo or ANJ for my second system
Give Aries Cerat a try . You might find it combines what you like about CH and Kondo all in one package...

Reactions: Andrew S.

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
When I think of Natural sound, I think of a sound that does not sound like a PA system or instruments just sounding like noises and not instruments. I also think of a sound that is not so etched. for example, many times I sit within the first four rows at Severance Hall. The instruments never sound like I can pick out each violin or Viola player and so on. The clarinet sounds just like it should just where it should be, not overly forward or as in many systems the horns sound like they are right in front of you. They should not. They should sound like where they are located and in proper proportion to the rest of the orchestra and the correct size of sound. Sometimes I hear peoples voices that sound 7 feet wide on some systems. They should not. they should sound like a real persons voice and the correct size, not ampified like through a PA system.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
When I think of Natural sound, I think of a sound that does not sound like a PA system or instruments just sounding like noises and not instruments. I also think of a sound that is not so etched. for example, many times I sit within the first four rows at Severance Hall. The instruments never sound like I can pick out each violin or Viola player and so on. The clarinet sounds just like it should just where it should be, not overly forward or as in many systems the horns sound like they are right in front of you. They should not. They should sound like where they are located and in proper proportion to the rest of the orchestra and the correct size of sound. Sometimes I hear peoples voices that sound 7 feet wide on some systems. They should not. they should sound like a real persons voice and the correct size, not ampified like through a PA system.
Great post. You make good distinctions between natural sounding systems and systems that sound like hi-fi.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
many times I sit within the first four rows at Severance Hall.

Lucky you! A fine hall in a nice setting.

I find sonic characteristics like you describe can come from a system and also be a function of the recording itself. Use of multi-miking and the subseqent mix can lead to spotlighting a particular instrument or section causing a less-than-natural perspective. (Deutsche Grammaphon raises its hand.) When a performance includes a soloist (concerto) or one or a few vocalists at the front of a stage, it can be tricky to get the proportions as they are heard live. Lesser quality systems can 'amplify' the disproportionality. As my system improves DG recordings improve with it.

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
Lucky you! A fine hall in a nice setting.

I find sonic characteristics like you describe can come from a system and also be a function of the recording itself. Use of multi-miking and the subseqent mix can lead to spotlighting a particular instrument or section causing a less-than-natural perspective. (Deutsche Grammaphon raises its hand.) When a performance includes a soloist (concerto) or one or a few vocalists at the front of a stage, it can be tricky to get the proportions as they are heard live. Lesser quality systems can 'amplify' the disproportionality. As my system improves DG recordings improve with it.
that is very true.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Use of multi-miking and the subseqent mix can lead to spotlighting a particular instrument or section causing a less-than-natural perspective. (Deutsche Grammaphon raises its hand.) When a performance includes a soloist (concerto) or one or a few vocalists at the front of a stage, it can be tricky to get the proportions as they are heard live.

Sure, but the spotlighting of soloists is intentional and apparently is supposed to give you the best seat in the house. I have nothing against that, frankly. The famous conductor Herbert von Karajan was known for loving recordings and perhaps the manipulation of them (he recorded for Deutsche Grammophon). When once asked if live concerts aren't still better, he apparently replied: "For whom?"

Lesser quality systems can 'amplify' the disproportionality. As my system improves DG recordings improve with it.

Same here.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing