Pass XA25 or any XA.8 with Tannoy

HDDG

Sep 27, 2019
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for feedback concerning the subject posted, and preferably the association of Pass with the Westminster GR. I was thinking about the XA25 which I can't demo where I am, but read and heard so much good things about it. However, I know my Tannoy very well (also got the GRF90 in another setup), and although they do like power, they don't seem to like fast amps, which the XA25 is. Twice the slew rate of the XA30.8 and about thrice the damping factor. Tannoy Westminster with fast amps seem to be well, too fast, if I may say it that way, especially on the lows which is then very detailed, but lacks some depth and amplitude. So XA25/Westminster or XA.--8/Westminster ?? Thx a lot.

danielk141

Mar 13, 2012
HDDG,

I heard all the principal (high up) employees at Pass use Tannoy speakers in their personal systems. Why don't you contact Pass Labs and ask them?

Reactions: HDDG

HDDG

Sep 27, 2019
HDDG,

I heard all the principal (high up) employees at Pass use Tannoy speakers in their personal systems. Why don't you contact Pass Labs and ask them?

Yes, I have and waiting for feedback from them. I know many of them use Tannoy and Nelson tests his amps on an inverted Imperial Jensen cab fitted with a specific Tannoy driver. However, the newer Tannoy aren't exactly the same and the XA25 seems to be an "alien" from Pass !! It's best to have as much user feedback as well, especially if I'm to buy blind..

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I've heard the XA25 several times at shows, as well as the XA30.8, and I think the XA25 edges it's stable mate out with richness as well as detail. I would pick the XA25 because it uses just a single pair of large high current hockey puck MOSFET per channel (simpler is better aka First Watt), vs. multiple devices per channel in the XA30.8.

I think either one of them, though, are the best sounding of the strictly Pass Labs amps that I have heard.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes, I have and waiting for feedback from them. I know many of them use Tannoy and Nelson tests his amps on an inverted Imperial Jensen cab fitted with a specific Tannoy driver. However, the newer Tannoy aren't exactly the same and the XA25 seems to be an "alien" from Pass !! It's best to have as much user feedback as well, especially if I'm to buy blind..

Is there a picture of this speaker of Nelson's

Like this?

64EADD53-CBFE-4DF4-99F9-6DB57A89869E.jpeg

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Do you know which tannoy drivers he uses?

HDDG

Sep 27, 2019
They're the Tannoy HPD 385 15"

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1569670823429.jpg
    FB_IMG_1569670823429.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 42
  • FB_IMG_1569670812096.jpg
    FB_IMG_1569670812096.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 41

danielk141

Mar 13, 2012
The speakers used are described at 15:30 in this video. Also, interesting take on critical listening.....

danielk141

Mar 13, 2012
HDDG,

I have owned the Pass Aleph 3, Aleph 30, Aleph 60 monoblocks, Aleph 2 monoblocks, First Watt J2, and X-150.5.
I currently own the XA-60.8 monoblocks and the XA-30.5. I recently borrowed a friend's First Watt F7, it just didn't work for me on my ProAc Tablette Anniversary speakers....
I think you should try an XA-30.5. Mine drives my B&W 803 D3s easily, and it just sounds so good, I won't sell it. Pass makes so many great amps, when you find one with synergy to your system/listening preference, your search is rewarded!*

*(Editorial comment from someone who searched a long time for my favorite sound).

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
They're the Tannoy HPD 385 15"
Heh, Heh, I love the picture of Nelson crawling around in his strangler vine cables. Looks like there could be some zip cord in there, too.

I wonder if they have ever found a dead audiophile bound in his cables.

I also like that he puts his amps ass forward, like I do, so that it is easy to change out the speaker wires.

Dante Choi

Feb 26, 2016
Buenos Aires,, Argentina
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for feedback concerning the subject posted, and preferably the association of Pass with the Westminster GR. I was thinking about the XA25 which I can't demo where I am, but read and heard so much good things about it. However, I know my Tannoy very well (also got the GRF90 in another setup), and although they do like power, they don't seem to like fast amps, which the XA25 is. Twice the slew rate of the XA30.8 and about thrice the damping factor. Tannoy Westminster with fast amps seem to be well, too fast, if I may say it that way, especially on the lows which is then very detailed, but lacks some depth and amplitude. So XA25/Westminster or XA.--8/Westminster ?? Thx a lot.
Dear HDDG, just for your reference I have one pair of Tannoy Autograph with Silver Monitors 15" 16 ohms driven by Allnic A-8000 power amp (this is KR-1610 SE 50W) and Allnic Line Amp H-8000. Recently I had the opportunity to listen XA-25 in my system. Was amazing. The sound was incredible, the combination with 16 ohms of Tannoy just perfect. After to listen to that small and compact amp, I understood why Nelson is using Tannoy. The midrange was with impact, the definition in the bass, deep and impressive sound. The high freq was infinite. I can't tell you how can be the combination with your Westminster, but at least with my vintage Silver Monitors the result was so good, I am planning to purchase one XA-25.

Reactions: rob and HDDG

HDDG

Sep 27, 2019
Dear HDDG, just for your reference I have one pair of Tannoy Autograph with Silver Monitors 15" 16 ohms driven by Allnic A-8000 power amp (this is KR-1610 SE 50W) and Allnic Line Amp H-8000. Recently I had the opportunity to listen XA-25 in my system. Was amazing. The sound was incredible, the combination with 16 ohms of Tannoy just perfect. After to listen to that small and compact amp, I understood why Nelson is using Tannoy. The midrange was with impact, the definition in the bass, deep and impressive sound. The high freq was infinite. I can't tell you how can be the combination with your Westminster, but at least with my vintage Silver Monitors the result was so good, I am planning to purchase one XA-25.

Thanks a lot. This amp seems to be a real gem and reports are unanimously very good to excellent so far anywhere you look !!

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London

We need pictures of those 15” silvers.

Jesper

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing