Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
In your main system they sounded dead. If they sound like that it is not working.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Dumb question: i was curious how much these tubes cost so i turned to google. I can’t seem to find the KR 242 that is so highly thought of. Where do you guys buy this tube in the US?

thanks,
todd

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Dumb question: i was curious how much these tubes cost so i turned to google. I can’t seem to find the KR 242 that is so highly thought of. Where do you guys buy this tube in the US?

thanks,
todd
I buy my KR tubes from best300b.com. It is run by Lukasz’s son Frank in Poland. Believe they are the only source for the higher cost RK versions. I’m in the US. Sometimes there is a small import fee. less than $50.

Reactions: christoph

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I would not call it urge.
In my case it is usually curiosity ;)

Yes, audiophiles are intrinsically curious. BTW, when you swap a 242 for a PX25 you move any switch to change the DC operation parameters or you just replace the tube?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Switch change

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Easy. A rotary selector on the back panel. No tools required.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Yes, audiophiles are intrinsically curious. BTW, when you swap a 242 for a PX25 you move any switch to change the DC operation parameters or you just replace the tube?
Pacific rotary switch.jpg

Reactions: microstrip

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
First time poster - long time reader here. I bought the SuperKomputer and the Pacific that were on show at Tampa a couple of weeks ago. Needless to say, it’s been a couple of good audio weeks. I hooked up the SuperKomputer first and that made a big improvement. Over the last couple of days, I brought the Pacific online and ... shall we say - I’m impressed. Just awesome - so I’ll be reading everything and asking lots of dumb questions and enjoying the music all the way. Thanks in advance for your indulgence.

I just wanted to let you know I was having a bit of a 'blah' day, but your excited text messages along with this post were a real pick me up! I'm so glad that you are the one that took the digital front end from Florida and it's awesome that you got to hear it in action at the show before you brought it home.

As I was mentioning, that Pacific has some hours on it, but will probably continue to improve even more over the course of the next month or so. As great as it is, it will only get better!

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I buy my KR tubes from best300b.com. It is run by Lukasz’s son Frank in Poland. Believe they are the only source for the higher cost RK versions. I’m in the US. Sometimes there is a small import fee. less than $50.

thanks for the info.

BR549

Dec 3, 2019
I just wanted to let you know I was having a bit of a 'blah' day, but your excited text messages along with this post were a real pick me up! I'm so glad that you are the one that took the digital front end from Florida and it's awesome that you got to hear it in action at the show before you brought it home.

As I was mentioning, that Pacific has some hours on it, but will probably continue to improve even more over the course of the next month or so. As great as it is, it will only get better!

I know many of you have had the Pacific for a while, but this is only about my third week and I cant tell you how much this has changed the system. I’m currently in a rental while my dedicated room is built, so I have it hooked up to an integrated (Accuphase E-650) and not my full system (accuphase A200s > Accuphase C3800), and I can only imagine how it will perform with the full compliment.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Most forum topics have been beat to death. But yeah, the technical thang is a bore but it is still curious.

The real point was the misuse of triodes and the consequences of such misuse.

Another point is which of the 53 million circuit variations Lucasz has tried are you actually listening to? What you experience will be very dependent on which variant he felt cool at the time.
Pac circuits has never been changed from start till today. All other Dacs have been standardized, but I think special customizations were permitted till recently. R2R chipset, chipless DSD, tuning for certain tubes, gain switches, etc

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I quite liked the fact an awful lot of different implementations and experiments happened as time went on, with all sorts of different boutique curiousities emerging from the Lampiness.

What I really, really like about what I have is the ability to just keep messing around with it since it's literally just a big box with plenty of space to hardwire in mods.

So whilst some saw it as a negative comment, I saw it as a positive one with a humour injection.

Just goes to show...:);)

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Not to repeat myself as all details are in Lampi tube rolling thread but Pacific in my system for my ears with this tube reached totally new level...amazing
6299A79C-91D1-4585-84B9-E26827BC5FF9.jpeg

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Which tube specifically as I see several?
Marty rectifier which is used is PSvane ACME 274b and output tubes are the "killer" ones "Tesla RD27AS"..

Reactions: Tuckia

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Marty rectifier which is used is PSvane ACME 274b and output tubes are the "killer" ones "Tesla RD27AS"..
Have you posted impressions of the Teslas yet? I must have missed it.

I'm assuming the Teslas are a variant of the AD1

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Have you posted impressions of the Teslas yet? I must have missed it.

I'm assuming the Teslas are a variant of the AD1
Hi Adam,
Yes, impressions are in Lampi tube rolling thread. It is Tesla, but high power version of PX25 named RD27AS.
AD1n and 4883 i still need to test once i receive the adapters...but now i kind of don’t care :cool:

Cheers,
G

Reactions: adamaley

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Good stuff. So the Tesla now sits atop the output tube mountain for you? That's high praise. Need to look into them.

Reactions: Golum

Crashem

Dec 21, 2015
So just got my new Pacific today which was nice surprise. It was a bit sad to start to pack up the GG and some sudden buyer’s remorse. Maybe I should have stay with the copper top and not go gold. Maybe I should have gone balanced like my GG was instead of SE like the Pacific is. Etc etc. This is my 3 Lampi. It’s amazing to me how much progress Lampi has made with producing a polished product and nothing to do with the sound.

No serious listening yet. Just some easy to listen to music. Reality is my system has undergone a ton of changes and more changes to come. Right now it is more of headphone listening setup than anything. In any case, I noticed right away that Pacific seemed to convey much more energy. Tamacun by Rodrigo Y Gabriela came on. WOW, that got my attention. It was pretty amazing.

Curious about one thing. I love not having to switch inputs for DSD/PCM and I have to watch for expectation bias. But there seemed to be way less difference between DSD and PCM. Not sure if PCM is way better or DSD lost something or was it the fact I wasn’t manually switching inputs to play one or the other. But I really used to notice the difference between the two. I guess I can put a playlist of same songs in both DSD and PCM and see what I hear later.

In any case, hopefully more time this weekend to do some more critical listening. But more likely going to let burn in happen and try to reserve observations before then.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing