Ozark

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I am surprised I could not find a thread about Ozark which is steaming it's third season. I enjoyed the first two but never considered it a great show. A little over the top at times but still always entertaining even though I thought Jason Bateman was in over his head in his key role.

Well I just finished Season 3 yesterday and it was excellent. This season they didn't have to rely and murder and mayhem to carry the story line. Sure there were a few head scratching moments but the storyline built towards two excellent climatic episodes.

I will be very surprised if Tom Pelphrey who plays Wendy's brother this season doesn't get some award consideration. No spoilers here but his acting especially in Episodes 8 & 9 are special.

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Agree, great show, just finished watching Series 3!

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
A very entertaining show, but the whole premise of the Federal agencies knowing
he is laundering money for the cartel and not being able to stop him is a little
out there ! Once they know, you are done ! ;)

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Also agree. Excellent show, and great ensemble acting...( I somewhat disagree on Jason Bateman...his performance, if not quite up to the rest of the cast, still is quite good)

Cheers....

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Poor mans breaking bad. Gave up after 1 season.
You are an extreme outlier...it's one of the best shows I've ever watch. Its' got everything: character development, intriguing plot twists and wonderful artistic direction.

i think it's actually superior to Breaking Bad as its more consistent and doesn't have the cartoon like bad guys like Tuco and Gus.

Reactions: MRJAZZ and Lagonda

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
I just finished Season 3 and loved it. I particularly enjoyed the Ruth Langmore character. I think Julia Garner is fantastic and deserving of award recognition.

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
You are an extreme outlier...it's one of the best shows I've ever watch. Its' got everything: character development, intriguing plot twists and wonderful artistic direction.

i think it's actually superior to Breaking Bad as its more consistent and doesn't have the cartoon like bad guys like Tuco and Gus.

66 on Metacritic is hardly critical acclaim. I found it dull and boring after a few episodes, then not so hot when the old poppy growing guy came into the picture. But maybe I'm just not into anti-heros post-Soprano :)

Finishing up Billions and Homeland, rewatching the Wire shortly with my girl. When's our fav Bosch restarting? Such a fun show.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
it’s the #2 show after Tiger King on Netflix, that’s all you need to know.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
well thanks to all of you guys here my wife and I binged the entire 3 seasons in the past week.

Truth be told we watched the first 2 episodes from season 1 when it launched and I just couldn't see Jason Bateman in the dramatic role of a one launderer for a Mexican cartel.However reading everyone's review here inspired us and as stated we binged

Each season ended with a cliff hanger but man, season 3 ended with a bang.

WE loved this show Bateman and Linney together are terrific but IMHO the star of the show is Julia Garner who plays Ruth.To me she is the center of really everything that happens in the show.

As for Marty and Wendy, well death, murder and mayhem follows them from Chicago to the Lake of the Ozarks.

The show has been compared to Breaking Bad but perhaps in a very peripheral way.

Short of that sit back and count the number of people murdered in each episode

Marty's facial demeanor never changes from one episode to the next. don't think he smiled in the entire 3 seasons

After that shocking ending in Season 3 I can wait for season 4

This series is highly recommended

Reactions: PeterA and jeff1225

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
As I have stated in the past I thought the first two seasons were kind of up and down and I was was ambivalent for a third. i never bought into Bateman in the role and still think he is the weak link. Well season 3 was easily the best of the three with some great scripts and acting from Julie Garner, Laura Linney, Felix Solis and especially Tom Pelphrey as Ben Davis. the last two episodes were riveting.

Steve Williams

The ending blew me off my seat

I agree about Jason Bateman being the weak link. Laura Linney didn't excel until half way through season 2. To me the star of the show is Julia Garner(Ruth)

Reactions: Macattack

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
When's our fav Bosch restarting? Such a fun show.
Bosch’s new season dropped couple of weeks back - one of my favs too

Reactions: jeff1225

Steve Williams

I believe that Bateman's understated and very serious performance makes the show.
I think Bstrman‘s forte is that he directed the entire first season and parts of the 2nfd and 3rd

vrac

May 9, 2018
My wife and I enjoyed Ozark. A little far fetched but thoroughly entertaining. The actress Julia Garner (Ruth) also has a supporting role in "Dirty John" on Netflix
which we found interesting and definitely worth a watch.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing