Outlander

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
I am always interested in new series to watch.

Steve, have you watched these: Hannibal (up to end of Season 02 only), Sherlock, Mr. Robot and Narcos?

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
Len

I am always interested in new series to watch. In a nutshell tell me what it's about as I've know nothing about it.

Steve, I very much liked season 1 because the sci fi aspect is only used to integrate the intelligent use of Claire's WWII tenacity and nursing knowledge with a Scottish clan of the 18th century. It's very well written and acted, and deals with sexually shocking issues more than any other series I've seen. I'm looking forward to season 2.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
only the last two. Narcos was one of my favorites last year

Narcos is a favourite here as well. You should like the others too. Daredevil was excellent too.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Len

Just a brief follow up. My wife and I have been watching this series and are really enjoying it. Presently finished episode 10.

I agree about the apothecary used in those times and what she does to help people. I am also fascinated that all of those actors speak Gaelic

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
Hi Len

Just a brief follow up. My wife and I have been watching this series and are really enjoying it. Presently finished episode 10.

I agree about the apothecary used in those times and what she does to help people. I am also fascinated that all of those actors speak Gaelic

Happy to hear your enjoying the series as have we. I thought you would like it with your medical background. We're about to start watching season 2 on Starz. I record it and we watch it on the weekend either before or after our NetFlix movie of the week on the "big screen" in the media room:)

This is our favorite movie time of the year as the Academy Award movies are being released. We're watching "Brooklyn" this weekend, and hopefully "The Reverent" soon.

So far I've rated "Spotlight" and "The Big Short" 5/5, disgusting human failing story lines told brilliantly with exceptional acting.

We've also very much enjoyed "Room", "The Danish Girl", "Trumbo", "Ex Machina", "Bridge of Spies", "Sicario", "Infinitely Polar Bear", and "The Hateful Eight" all 4/5 IMO.

We also enjoy many of the series broadcast on commercial TV via NetFlix since I can't stand the constant commercial breaks cable stations such as FX and AMC interject. A few of the excellent series we've watched during the last year: "Fargo" season 1 5/5, season 2 4/5; "True Detective" season 1 5/5, season 2 4/5; "Better Cal Saul" season 1 5/5; "House of Cards" seasons 1-2 5/5, season 3 4/5; "The Americans" seasons 1-2 4/5.

Too many other examples over the past several years to name.

Steve Williams

You and I watch all the same series and movies. Brooklyn and The Revenant were terrific. The only one you listed which I haven't seen is Infinitely Polar Bear

If you are into some blood and mayhem add Banshee and Narcos to your list

Steve Williams

Hi Len

Just wanted to say that we finished Season 1 yesterday and I have to admit that we thoroughly enjoyed it although the final two episodes left us speechless as there were themes in that episode as well as acting that I was stunned as to the content. In fact I commented that some of the brutality carried out by Jack Randall on Jamie in those episodes were as brutal as some of the scenes in Banshee that many of us here watch.

Having said that are ready for season 2

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
We had a similar reaction Steve. We found those two episodes hard to watch. I'm sure there have always been people like Jack Randall, Charles Manson comes to mind. And in those days I imagine it's plausible someone like him could have been in a position to inflect his perversions unchecked.

We're bracing ourselves for season 2:D Perhaps French society was a bit more polished then no?

Steve Williams

Well after the season one ending episode I really enjoyed this thanks to Len White for the suggestion. Having said that I am somewhat disappointed so far in season 2 as it is playing now like a soap opera with lots of melodrama

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
Well after the season one ending episode I really enjoyed this thanks to Len White for the suggestion. Having said that I am somewhat disappointed so far in season 2 as it is playing now like a soap opera with lots of melodrama

I somewhat agree the pace is slower so far, although I would describe the change as the resulting intrigue trying to alter history. I do enjoy the historical references to the period English Kings and Scotland; as well as the eccentricities of the French court depicted in episode 2:D

I actually had to do some research on "Bonny Prince Charlie" (Charles Scott) who it appears was reckless, irresponsible, and largely clueless in his quest to restore "The House of Stuart" to the throne of England and Scotland. He manipulated the Scots hatred of the current Protestant Kings occupation. The result was the disastrous "Battle of Culloden" and the slaughter of many of the Scottish Highlanders.

I read even Outlander's male lead said it's ironic that "Bonnie Prince Charlie" was remembered in Scotland with fondness when he was in school.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing