Oscar Nominations 2023: ‘Everything Everywhere’ Leads With 11 Nods, Followed by ‘Banshees’ and ‘All Quiet

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Lots of surprises this year, for me at least as the two most nominated films this year were two of my all time worst movies. The one thing I liked about Banshees was the cinematography and it wasn't even nominated in that category

for me so far Brendan Fraser and Cate Blanchett will be walking away with the Oscar for Best Actor by a male or female in a leading role

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I believe Tar has been seen by less viewers than you can fit in a small cupboard, I guess that doesn't mean much to the judges.

Steve Williams

I believe Tar has been seen by less viewers than you can fit in a small cupboard, I guess that doesn't mean much to the judges.
Everything, Everywhere was seen by everyone and I guess that didn't matter to the judges. I don't know which was worse, Banshees or Everything, Everywhere

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Everything, Everywhere was seen by everyone and I guess that didn't matter to the judges. I don't know which was worse, Banshees or Everything, Everywhere
I agree Everything Everywhere is an absolutely horrible movie. The story makes so sense or it is supposed to be like that?

Reactions: bonzo75

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I hate Aronovsky movies so won’t watch it. They make you want to slit your wrists, no thanks.

I really liked Requiem For A Dream due to the performances of Leto, Connelly and Burstyn.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I hated it more than I hated Banshees
It has an 89% by the RT audience so must just be you. It happens. I thought it was modern and brilliant with multiple stories taking place. It was codirected by the Daniels, as they are known. Also made over $100mm.

How on earth did Glass Onion get a screenplay nod? Banshees will win Original Screenplay for sure. Adapted they should just give to Top Gun lol

best picture didn’t deserve 10 noms this year

Steve Williams

I hate Aronovsky movies so won’t watch it. They make you want to slit your wrists, no thanks.
The movie won't win but for Brendan Fraser this was the role of a life time. He should easily win

Reactions: KeithR

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
My general view is that like all other creative endeavors — poetry, literature, music, painting, etc. — the greatest lies in the past. This age is known for its technology, not for its arts. For the greatest arts and artists, we need to look to the past. We are not going to see another composer like Beethoven or Duke Ellington, another rock group like The Beatles, another painter like Van Gogh, or a film maker like Ingmar Bergman or AkIra Kurosawa. The golden age of the arts lies behind us. For better or worse, we are living in the golden age of technology. As AI takes over creativity, humans will get less creative over time. None of us have needed to know how to compute the square root of a number. Our calculators will do that for us today. Tomorrow AI software will write our poetry, compose our songs, make our movies and write our literature.

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
I’ve long been a skeptic that AI could surpass human intelligence as a person who has worked in the field a long time. But recent advances have left me worried that our days of being the only species on earth capable of language in its full generality and artistic expressivity are numbered. I didn’t see the unleashing of AI combined with the vast storage and compute power now available. AI systems like chat GPT process more text than a human can read in a 1000 lifetimes. They process millions of technical articles. Billions of lines of code. And these systems are just getting off the ground. In 10 years from now, these systems will be exponentially more powerful than they already are now. I’m not going to survive till 2050, I think, so I wouldn’t know, but certainly the next 10-20 years is going to see a huge reckoning as humans come to understand what technology has unleashed. Most people have no idea how difficult life is going to get. Jobs are going to vanish in many industries as AI systems take over manufacturing, medical diagnosis, education, and the creative arts.

Reactions: Steve Williams

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Oscar Prediction time anyone?

Best Picture: Everything Everywhere All at Once
Best Director Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert
Best Actor: Austin Butler
Best Actress: Cate Blanchett

PS. Not necessarily my choices.. "Best" from a sheer entertainment perspective, Top Gun Maverick would be my choice, but Cruise just doesn't get the respect of his colleagues.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Oscar Prediction time anyone?

Best Picture: Everything Everywhere All at Once
Best Director Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert
Best Actor: Austin Butler
Best Actress: Cate Blanchett

PS. Not necessarily my choices.. "Best" from a sheer entertainment perspective, Top Gun Maverick would be my choice, but Cruise just doesn't get the respect of his colleagues.
I think this is right. Bassett will get supporting actress and the Indy kid, actor :)

Banshees wins orig screenplay.

Fraser won’t win as his movie wasn’t nominated - quire rare. Butler seems to have more momo too.

Steve Williams

I think this is right. Bassett will get supporting actress and the Indy kid, actor :)

Fraser won’t win as his movie wasn’t nominated - quire rare. Butler seems to have more momo too.
Butler was my first choice until I saw The Whale. BTW. the sound track (Elvis) is available for streaming and some of the songs are terrific and many of these were sung by Butler. I would not be unhappy to see him win but Fraser was amazing in his role

Reactions: KeithR

Steve Williams

I've mentioned before that Banshees was my least favorite movie of the year until I saw Everything, Everywhere

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Butler was my first choice until I saw The Whale. BTW. the sound track (Elvis) is available for streaming and some of the songs are terrific and many of these were sung by Butler. I would not be unhappy to see him win but Fraser was amazing in his role
Havent seen either, heard both were great.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing