Ordered the Pantheon

eagle3333

Sep 22, 2018
Peril indeed - that way lies eternal damnation!

Does anyone know if the previous Mojo is sonically any different to the Mojo S, or if the updates are purely cosmetic? I can't find anything to suggest former.. Both seem to be fitted with same high-end components and have same frequency response.

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore
I've listened both to Mojo S and Pantheon. The first were interesting but a bit boxy. The Pantheon were majestic but I wonder if the bloating of mid bass and lower bass can be corrected.

llsaw

Feb 25, 2016
All our perception of bass bloat will likely differ but I have very little (bass bloat) issues with the Pantheons once I upgraded to Gryphon Atlas spike feet and started fine tuning my speaker placement.

Last edited:

llsaw

Feb 25, 2016
Peril indeed - that way lies eternal damnation!

Does anyone know if the previous Mojo is sonically any different to the Mojo S, or if the updates are purely cosmetic? I can't find anything to suggest former.. Both seem to be fitted with same high-end components and have same frequency response.

Although I've not heard the Mojo vs Mojo S, the Mojo S should definitely be better sonically. Gryphon does not do aesthetic upgrades only.

llsaw

Feb 25, 2016
TK Han (Reference Audio, Malaysia and Singapore Gryphon distributor) and Tony Tan (Malaysia, Penang Gryphon Dealer. Penang is where I live) paid me a home visit today to further fine tune the positioning of my Gryphon Pantheon loudspeakers. Also received a special guest in the form of Datuk Danon Han. The finetuning resulted in worthwhile improvements in soundstage width, imaging, bass definition and impact without the lower registers getting too much in the way, obscuring detail and reducing resolution. TK suggested that I cover my TV with my speaker covers while listening and this worked a treat reducing a metallic resonating sound from my TV's mount brackets during bass heavy music. All in all, an excellent couple hours of work from people who know what they are doing.

46645603.jpg
46645604.jpg
46645605.jpg
46645606.jpg
46645608.jpg
46645609.jpg

Back to the Echole Obsession speaker cables which sound nearly as good as the Ansuz D2 while costing 3.5 times less.
46645610.jpg

Last edited:

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore
Thank you. With my Voxativ, the whole bass is perfectly managed, tightly driven without any cut with the medium range. Just lacking full opening with large orchestras. Are the Pantheon really good at that ? Zanden amp here.

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore
All our perception of bass bloat will likely differ but I have very little (bass bloat) issues with the Pantheons once I upgraded to Gryphon Atlas spike feet and started fine tuning my speaker placement.
Thank you. With my Voxativ, the whole bass is perfectly managed, tightly driven without any cut with the medium range. Just lacking full opening with large orchestras. Are the Pantheon really good at that ? Zanden amp here.
P.S. Dont't you feel your stone tiles generate reverbs too ? Might be worth a try with a carpet.

llsaw

Feb 25, 2016

Have not heard the Pantheon partnered with Zanden amps but I don't have a problem with scale and dynamics.

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore
Gryphon carpet on the way :) Will try that.
:cool: I have myself an engineered stones floor and a large carpet improved uncontrolled diffraction.

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore
Have not heard the Pantheon partnered with Zanden amps but I don't have a problem with scale and dynamics.
Thank you. I will try to listen to them in a better setup than I did first.

eagle3333

Sep 22, 2018
Although I've not heard the Mojo vs Mojo S, the Mojo S should definitely be better sonically. Gryphon does not do aesthetic upgrades only.
Yes, I read a quotation from Flemming to the same effect re: 'cosmetic-only upgrades'; but it's odd that none of the promotion suggests, anywhere, that the S produces sonic upgrades over its predecessor. Which is usually the first thing manufacturers are keen to point out. I've also written to Gryphon and asked the question but not received a reply, yet.

eagle3333

Sep 22, 2018
P.S. Dont't you feel your stone tiles generate reverbs too ? Might be worth a try with a carpet.
My experience with Pantheon suggested that this was their most suited genre of music. Big orchestral pieces were just huge and open and very much a 'being there' experience.

eagle3333

Sep 22, 2018
I agree llsaw - one man's bloat is another man's bass heaven. For control, I tried Stillpoints under the Gryphons but they made little impact on the bass. I moved them and panels to many positions with no impact. Actually, I think the issue is my own hearing. It's super sensitive. Pantheon bass guitar was not much more prominent than I hear at a live performance. But I'd struggle to listen to 4hrs of live rock without some fatigue. In my room, the (mid) bass didn't obscure fine, high-frequency detail - it just drew too much attention to itself for my ears. Also at low volume levels - so I don't believe it was a room issue. I have no such problem with my Dynaudio Contour 60's. Latter produce a more evenly balanced sound with no range taking precedence over the other; the sound comes as though listener is sitting mid-hall. Pantheon presented music more front row seat. Ironically, I find I need to play 60's quite loud to really generate atmosphere; but this doesn't bother my hearing. With Pantheon, I was turning volume down. 60's work better for my sensitive ears than Pantheon; latter is the more exciting sound and closest to 'being there', but fatigues after a while in a way the 60's don't. Pantheon detail superior to 60's - since cost is 4x I would hope so. Vocals and instruments more coherent and intelligible. I found myself thinking about what the vocals were saying to me with Pantheon; with the 60's their actual meaning impacted me less - they were simply part of the music. Pantheon is a wonderful, remarkable speaker and I tried very hard to be satisfied with them as end game. Returning them was hard to do but, at that price, they have to be perfect. I wish my hearing was better suited to them. Also amazing was how well the 60's, at 25% of the price of Pantheon, stood up against them. I need to try Mojo and new Dynaudio Confidence.

eagle3333

Sep 22, 2018
TK Han (Reference Audio, Malaysia and Singapore Gryphon distributor) and Tony Tan (Malaysia, Penang Gryphon Dealer. Penang is where I live) paid me a home visit today to further fine tune the positioning of my Gryphon Pantheon loudspeakers. Also received a special guest in the form of Datuk Danon Han. The finetuning resulted in worthwhile improvements in soundstage width, imaging, bass definition and impact without the lower registers getting too much in the way, obscuring detail and reducing resolution. TK suggested that I cover my TV with my speaker covers while listening and this worked a treat reducing a metallic resonating sound from my TV's mount brackets during bass heavy music. All in all, an excellent couple hours of work from people who know what they are doing.

View attachment 45816
View attachment 45817
View attachment 45818
View attachment 45819
View attachment 45820
View attachment 45821

Back to the Echole Obsession speaker cables which sound nearly as good as the Ansuz D2 while costing 3.5 times less.
View attachment 45822
Fascinating pictures, thank you. Super room. I have rugs over a wood floor.

eagle3333

Sep 22, 2018
I've listened both to Mojo S and Pantheon. The first were interesting but a bit boxy. The Pantheon were majestic but I wonder if the bloating of mid bass and lower bass can be corrected.
Thanks - can you describe what you mean by 'boxy', which I have read once before about the Mojo..

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore
Thanks - can you describe what you mean by 'boxy', which I have read once before about the Mojo..
Well, it's a general problem with monitor size speakers, I guess. Apart the Q1, very fast, open and transparent (but obviously lacking bass), I always feel size limitation of any speakers system hampers musical reproduction capability. The Mojo recreate space aptly, but in a largish room, you really feel them resonating and they become a bit confusing : reproduction is not organic, but artificial. I also listened to Rockport, which were more on spot, but I felt a bit metallic, not so much faithful to woods and brass instruments, as Harbeth would. All in all, depite their limitations as widebanders, the Voxativ are remarkable for their coherence. I mostly listen to 50's-70's jazz, baroque, classical, large orchestra and contemporary, from Shostakovitch to Boesmans. I hope this helps to clarify.

eagle3333

Sep 22, 2018
Well, it's a general problem with monitor size speakers, I guess. Apart the Q1, very fast, open and transparent (but obviously lacking bass), I always feel size limitation of any speakers system hampers musical reproduction capability. The Mojo recreate space aptly, but in a largish room, you really feel them resonating and they become a bit confusing : reproduction is not organic, but artificial. I also listened to Rockport, which were more on spot, but I felt a bit metallic, not so much faithful to woods and brass instruments, as Harbeth would. All in all, depite their limitations as widebanders, the Voxativ are remarkable for their coherence. I mostly listen to 50's-70's jazz, baroque, classical, large orchestra and contemporary, from Shostakovitch to Boesmans. I hope this helps to clarify.
Thanks very much. I follow this. 'Artificial' is a worry. The Pantheons sounded like the real thing and made the Dyn's sound like a wee bit like reproduced music in comparison. You'd expect that given the huge price differential. Of course, much is comparative. Until I'd listened to the Pantheons, I never thought of the Dyn's in that way.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
llsaw — or anyone else who has Gryphon Audio loudspeakers:

Do the speaker terminals accept banana plugs? (There is a little hole in the back of the terminals which looks too small to accept banana plugs.)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing