Oppo UDP-205 audiophile 4k / universal player & media streamer

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
New update today. Let's hope it fixes handshake issues with HDMI input..we'll see.

Comparing to the previous Official release version UDP20X-45-0605, the major changes included in this version are:
Added the “Track Type” descriptor when playing an SACD.
Improved HDMI handshake stability when playing Dolby Vision content.
Improved HDMI audio stability when using an HDMI Split A/V connection.
General fixes and disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming UHD Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted samples.

Last edited:
Last edited:
In the world of hi-end sometimes things come to an end:
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...i-fi-audio-disc-player-oppo-digital-shut-down

It's us the videophiles and audiophiles who are losing the most. No one ever came close to Oppo hi-end players performance and value and reliability and service support wise, no one.

With time we'll find more on the exact reasons of this very sad reality.
But without being a rocket scientist money revenues weren't sustainable for this Oppo division in the year 2017-18

The undercurrent against the internal streaming apps support didn't help I am certain. The new 203 and 205 introduced @ the end of 2016 were the first without apps support. By doing so they shorten their clientele, not expanding it.

I also suspect other vital reasons that made the 203 and 205 "stumbled" from solid ground. Time will tell. But today's glitches are eminent in the professional videophile world...with HDR<>SDR, HDR tone-mapping, Dolby Vision compatibility, 4K disc drive.

No matter what I'd rather use an Oppo player than a cheap player made of recyclable plastic. It's a personal preference, a sense of internal security and trust.

The more I reviewed the fall from the top the more I realized what we have lost; the best universal players used by the professional expert reviewers from all around the world.

Oct 22, 2011
The new 203 and 205 introduced @ the end of 2016 were the first without apps support. By doing so they shorten their clientele, not expanding it.
When I started to look at 4K players I saw that. I was pretty surprised. It didn't matter that much to me since I use a 4K Apple TV, but I didn't know why.

When I started to look at 4K players I saw that. I was pretty surprised. It didn't matter that much to me since I use a 4K Apple TV, but I didn't know why.
For many of us apps in a 4K UHD BR player don't matter. For more than us it does.
The Oppo 203 and 205 marketing counterbalance was Dolby Vision.
What is the Dolby Vision situation today; it is a mess, in particular with Sony.
What is the HDR Tone-Mapping situation today; not fully realized.
How expert front projector owners/professional videophiles are reacting from their discoveries; with hope of a better improved future.

We all have different priorities in life, Oppo have theirs, the professional video calibrators have theirs; accurate picture stability conformed to the new UHD/HDR video quality standards...including HDR10+ and Dolby Vision.

Panasonic and Sony are our new friends going forward...8K imminently.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
FYI, OPPO is considering another run of the 205’s. The OPPO website has a sign up for a potential order. If there is enough interest they may make another batch.

Oct 22, 2011
Good to hear. I hope they do this to thwart the inflated eBay prices.

About us

• Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing