One of largest storms in recorded history bearing down on Philippines

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I had been holed up at our show and the hotel wouldn't give us WIFI even if we wanted to pay. It was only this afternoon that I learned of the full extent. I'm heartbroken.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Jack. I'm glad to hear you are safe! Some of the photos coming out of your country leave me speechless....so much powerful destruction. Mother Nature wasn't too kind with this storm. My heart and prayers go out to your country, family and friends, fellow forum members out in that area and all of the people who have lost loved ones. Have you had a chance to communicate with your family yet?

Tom

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I don't have family down south but my wife has an aunt and cousins. No word yet. :( My southern friends are mostly in Cebu and from what I've been told all are okay.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Glad to read that you are fine Jack and hopefully you'll get some positive news about your wife's family. I spoke with my brothers in Vietnam as it's headed that way, but there is no need to worry they say. I'm very thankful for that.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
we are still trying to track down my wife's 77 year old aunt (resident of Canada) who is in holiday in Leyte. We don't know how bad the area was hit but we've lost communication with her - no telephone and no internet. One of the grandkids is planning to go to the Philippines to look for her grandma but not sure if she could actually reach the area. They are now seeking help from Philippine based relatives to find her.

I've read somewhere that the death toll could reach 10,000.... that's really sad

and as Jack as previously mentioned, same area was also affected by a 7.4 magnitude earthquake last October that destroyed 26,000 homes. Most of the infrastructures were weakened by the earthquake already.

Filipinos are very resilient, many of them are hardened by lifelong fight with poverty - but two major disasters in such a short time is really hard to take.

I know that relief support will pour in from many agencies all over the world and many Filipinos living abroad, I hope this time the aid reach the people who actually need them.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
This is all so sad. Preliminary reports couldn't have have been any further off the mark in terms of the real devastation. It will probably be weeks and not days until we understand the true scope of this disaster. The international community needs to quickly rally and bring aid to those who are in dire need of food and shelter.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It's being said that the wind was equivalent to a 6 hour long multi-kilometer wide CAT 3 twister. I can't even imagine what that is.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Christian

Red Cross is still the best organized here.

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden
My prayers to the people of Philippines. The media in Sweden are full of announcements about this and everyone I know donate, mostly to the red cross.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Jack

My country having suffered a simiilar tragedy I feel your pain. Our prayers go to your people. Let hope that relief is swift and timely. Most of the tragedies occur after the event.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thank you MasterChief, Christian and Frantz.

Frantz, yes what you say is true. The level of despair is like none I've ever seen and like you I only see what's in the media. Drinking water is one of the greatest problems if not the greatest. I have contacted Lifesaver Systems and am trying to work something out with them.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
thanks to Christian and everybody who donated.. guys, pls donate if you haven't done it yet. It is really bad out there.

To my fellow Canadian WBF members, Canadian government will be matching donations to the Canadian Red Cross until December 9.

if you want to see an inside look, go to youtube and search Yolanda, the typhoon's local name and watch news reports from local tv stations. you may not understand the language, but you can have a closer look about how desperate it is for those who survived. Be warned that it will be graphic because you will see dead bodies everywhere.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing