OMA polycrystalline graphite mat - why does it work?

Cedar

May 21, 2020
Sacramento CA
I acquired an Oswald Mills Audio (OMA) polycrystalline graphite platter mat. To my ear, it improved the music quality enough that I judge the mat to be worth more than the cost ($465 delivered). My turntable is a Technics SP10 MK2.

Why does it work so well? I suggest one possible explanation below. Maybe someone can help me to understand better what is going on.

There is almost no information about this mat available. OMA states that the platter mat material is “an extremely high grade polycrystalline graphite." What is polycrystalline graphite? I found that more than one form of it exists, including graphene. One research paper compared wave propagation in two configurations of graphene sheets: single crystal and polycrystalline. I don’t think the OMA mat is made from graphene material. However, it may be that the OMA material shares the wave propagation characteristics of polycrystalline graphene.

Graphene is a two dimensional form of graphite. As described at www.nanografi.com:

Graphene is a material composed of pure carbon, similar to graphite but with characteristics that make it extraordinarily light and strong. A sheet of one square meter of graphene weighs 0.77 milligrams. Its strength is 200 times greater than that of steel and its density is similar to that of carbon fiber. All these make it resist high bending forces without breaking. It is one of the most conductive materials for electricity and heat, which makes it the perfect material for electronics and many other industries.

Oscillating wave propagation in polycrystalline graphene is reported to be isotrophic and highly damped. A material that propagates oscillating waves identically in all directions is said to be isotrophic. So, oscillating waves propagated through polycrystalline graphene are highly and equally damped in all directions.

These polycrystalline graphene properties, if shared, may mean that the OMA mat absorbs oscillating waves received from the stylus and from the platter but effectively dampens their reflection. This result would explain the beneficial effects of the OMA mat that I have heard.

Cited research paper:

https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlehtml/2017/ra/c7ra03744a

djsina2

May 30, 2019
I acquired an Oswald Mills Audio (OMA) polycrystalline graphite platter mat. To my ear, it improved the music quality enough that I judge the mat to be worth more than the cost ($465 delivered). My turntable is a Technics SP10 MK2.

Why does it work so well? I suggest one possible explanation below. Maybe someone can help me to understand better what is going on.

There is almost no information about this mat available. OMA states that the platter mat material is “an extremely high grade polycrystalline graphite." What is polycrystalline graphite? I found that more than one form of it exists, including graphene. One research paper compared wave propagation in two configurations of graphene sheets: single crystal and polycrystalline. I don’t think the OMA mat is made from graphene material. However, it may be that the OMA material shares the wave propagation characteristics of polycrystalline graphene.

Graphene is a two dimensional form of graphite. As described at www.nanografi.com:

Graphene is a material composed of pure carbon, similar to graphite but with characteristics that make it extraordinarily light and strong. A sheet of one square meter of graphene weighs 0.77 milligrams. Its strength is 200 times greater than that of steel and its density is similar to that of carbon fiber. All these make it resist high bending forces without breaking. It is one of the most conductive materials for electricity and heat, which makes it the perfect material for electronics and many other industries.

Oscillating wave propagation in polycrystalline graphene is reported to be isotrophic and highly damped. A material that propagates oscillating waves identically in all directions is said to be isotrophic. So, oscillating waves propagated through polycrystalline graphene are highly and equally damped in all directions.

These polycrystalline graphene properties, if shared, may mean that the OMA mat absorbs oscillating waves received from the stylus and from the platter but effectively dampens their reflection. This result would explain the beneficial effects of the OMA mat that I have heard.

Cited research paper:

https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlehtml/2017/ra/c7ra03744a
I have the Audio Tekne “mat” made from their own proprietary carbon material and I too thought it was a big improvement. This is what they say about it…

“Since the fine carbon particles in this sheet are spherical, and thus, capable of diffusing and absorbing vibration waves, this sheet is capable of absorbing any vibration between the surfaces of a disk and a turntable smoothly without returning irregular vibration to the disk. Therefore, through all the spectrum, music sound recorded in the disk will be reproduced in an ideally natural manner (in terms of transparency, sound source localization and definition).
Since energy loss is smaller than that of ordinary turntable mat, the reproduced music will be free from vagueness, distortion and dullness, bringing to you 20 to 30% higher auditory power and the feel of larger scale.”

Cedar

May 21, 2020
Sacramento CA
I have the Audio Tekne “mat” made from their own proprietary carbon material and I too thought it was a big improvement. This is what they say about it…

“Since the fine carbon particles in this sheet are spherical, and thus, capable of diffusing and absorbing vibration waves, this sheet is capable of absorbing any vibration between the surfaces of a disk and a turntable smoothly without returning irregular vibration to the disk. Therefore, through all the spectrum, music sound recorded in the disk will be reproduced in an ideally natural manner (in terms of transparency, sound source localization and definition).
Since energy loss is smaller than that of ordinary turntable mat, the reproduced music will be free from vagueness, distortion and dullness, bringing to you 20 to 30% higher auditory power and the feel of larger scale.”
dsjina2,
Thanks for your contribution. It looks like both information sources (Audio Tekne and the research paper) comment about wave propagation. However, the polycrystalline graphite shape is something different than a sphere, I think. But maybe Audio Teaneck refers to a different scale of resolution?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
@Cedar thanks for the comments on the mat. I'm always happy to gather potential data points esp. for the sp10mk2. Speaking of which how do you feel about the Krebs mod on yours?

Cedar

May 21, 2020
Sacramento CA
@Cedar thanks for the comments on the mat. I'm always happy to gather potential data points esp. for the sp10mk2. Speaking of which how do you feel about the Krebs mod on yours?
Solypsa,
You've taken me by surprise in asking about the Krebs upgrade. I wonder how you learned my SP10 was upgraded in that way by Bill Thalmann at Music Technology Inc. The Krebs upgrade was combined with a re-cap of the turntable assembly, so I really can't separate my experience of the two upgrades. Bill did a fine job of improving the speed accuracy and consistency of the unit. He proved himself to be a good service provider. It has been reliable and responsive since that work, about two years ago. I expect to continue to be so well into the future.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Sorry to surprise you ;)

Since your opening post mentioned your Sp10mk2 I just looked at your 'about' profile where you list the turntable as Krebs mod'd thats all...

Reactions: Scott Naylor

Cedar

May 21, 2020
Sacramento CA

djsina2,
Your post led me to the Audio Tekne webpage. They specify their platter as
Thickness : 10mm Weight : 1.0Kg
The OMA mat is specified as 6 mm thick and 1.5 lbs. So there are considerable physical differences. But I do think the Audio Tekne description of the sonic improvements would apply equally to the OMA mat.

Jonathan Weiss

CEO Fleetwood Sound
Aug 17, 2022
Our OMA mat is made from pure polycrystalline graphite, not one of the newer graphite materials such as graphene. As such, if you look carefully you can actually see the crystalline structure of the graphite, which is basically pure carbon. All the other companies use a synthetic substance which is essentially carbon dust particles suspended in plastic resin. This is more easily available and machinable. What we make is neither, nor does it sound like this kind of colloidal graphite. Wave propagation is totally different through a crystalline matrix.

Looks like I will be getting OMA questions here as well as for Fleetwood, and that's fine!

Jonathan

theophile

I have used Boston Audio graphite mats on my turntables for the past 15 years.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
My Simon Yorke (bought in 2010 ) had a Graphite mat-I'd recommend them--

BruceD

Apr 17, 2023
Dallas
locrian-audio.com
Hello - this is my first post in the forum. I was looking for a graphite mat for my TT and came across this thread. I have 3 Simon Yorke turntables (S4, S9 and S10) and they all came with graphite mats. Simon had told me graphite is the best mat he had tried. I tried some other materials and he was indeed validated. I also tried his graphite mat on myThales Compact II with Simplicity II tonearm. The results were amazing. Significant improvement! I have tried to locate who is making them but the firm in the UK is no longer in business. The only available I can locate is from OMA but have not bought it as it costs $675. Basile

Apr 17, 2023
Dallas
locrian-audio.com
Thank you very much. It is greatly appreciated. I will follow up.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
The OMA Mat works very well on my AS Invictus jr, so I was looking for the best matching platter weight.

I did a shoot out with 12 different weights and the black HRS (light alloy version) was the winner on the OMA mat.

But finally I had the idea, that a graphite / Carbon platter weight might fit as well.

So I ordered the light 255g

Audio Tekne LTP-11

Carbon platter weight and I was surprised of the effect, which is even a little better (more energy and structure ) than the HRS.

Anyone using the OMA mat should give the Audio Tekne LTP-11 a try.

Cedar

May 21, 2020
Sacramento CA
Shakti,
Your recommendation has aroused my interest. Did you find a preferred vendor for the LTP-11 clamp? Also, did you come across any articles about it?
Best regards

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I owned and used the Audio Tekne LTP-11 some years ago and than unfortunately sold it .

Audio Tekne has a German Distributor (IBEX) , so it was possible to order the LTP-11 (again) in Germany.

May be your country has a Distributor as well.

AUDIO TEKNE INCORPORATED
596-4,Sanyu-town,Hachioji-city,Tokyo Japan 192-0012
TEL:+81-426-91-2678 FAX+81-426-91-2639
mailto:imai@audiotekne.com

back

djsina2

May 30, 2019
The OMA Mat works very well on my AS Invictus jr, so I was looking for the best matching platter weight.

I did a shoot out with 12 different weights and the black HRS (light alloy version) was the winner on the OMA mat.

But finally I had the idea, that a graphite / Carbon platter weight might fit as well.

So I ordered the light 255g

Audio Tekne LTP-11

Carbon platter weight and I was surprised of the effect, which is even a little better (more energy and structure ) than the HRS.

Anyone using the OMA mat should give the Audio Tekne LTP-11 a try.

You should try the Audio Tekne carbon “mat” if possible. It’s 10mm thick so there are spindle length considerations. It’s amazing on my CSPort.

Reactions: shakti

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
You should try the Audio Tekne carbon “mat” if possible. It’s 10mm thick so there are spindle length considerations. It’s amazing on my CSPort.
Sounds interesting.
I believe, I have seen an early version of thr Audio Tekne mat, this one had no cut out for the label.

Has this been changed by Audio Tekne with their actual product? Has your carbon mat a Record label cut out?

Than I would order such a thick carbon mat!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing