NOS 6922 Recommendations

thetubeguy1954

Feb 7, 2012
Orlando, Fl.
groups.yahoo.com
6922 Recommendations

Have an ARC LS25 preamp coming in and want to swap out the stock tubes with NOS....recommendations? A bit warm in nature would be nice.

Hi Keith,

Two years ago I purchased a GoldeNote tubed Stibbert CDP from Italy that uses 6922 tubes. I was very lucky because I have some friends from SETriodes Forum, Space Coast Audio Society and Central Florida Audio Society that allowed my to try almost any variation of the 6DJ8, 6922, 7308, Cca family of tubes, by almost every manufacturer in the US and abroad you could think of from early 50's and on. It wasn't until I tried the relatively inexpensive Voskhod "rocket-logo" 6N23P tubes from Russia that I finally found a tube I could live with.

In a direct comparison with some Telefunken Cca, these $35/pr Voskhod 6N23P tubes actually held their own. In fact one person said they were so close sonically he wouldn't have purchased the Telefunken Cca tubes if had heard the Voskhod 6N23P first ---**he also purchased 10 pairs of the Voskhod 6N23P aka 6H23 tubes before leaving}--- another person told me via email after hearing the Voskhod 6N23P tubes, he decided not to purchase the pair of Cca tubes he was looking at and purchased the Voshod's instead!

Don't believe me? Read my feedback from when I was selling the Voskhod 6N23P tubes on Audiogon ---**I'm not selling any tubes presently so I have nothing to gain financially by telling you this}--- and hopefully that will convinve you to try and locate some Voskhod "rocket-logo" 6N23P tubes for yourself! Here's a link to my Audiogon feedback: http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fb.pl?user=Tcscata Read the comments by Wizeazz & Glitzenberger especially, but all the feedback is very good...

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Keith,

Two years ago I purchased a GoldeNote tubed Stibbert CDP from Italy that uses 6922 tubes. I was very lucky because I have some friends from SETriodes Forum, Space Coast Audio Society and Central Florida Audio Society that allowed my to try almost any variation of the 6DJ8, 6922, 7308, Cca family of tubes, by almost every manufacturer in the US and abroad you could think of from early 50's and on. It wasn't until I tried the relatively inexpensive Voskhod "rocket-logo" 6N23P tubes from Russia that I finally found a tube I could live with.

In a direct comparison with some Telefunken Cca, these $35/pr Voskhod 6N23P tubes actually held their own. In fact one person said they were so close sonically he wouldn't have purchased the Telefunken Cca tubes if had heard the Voskhod 6N23P first ---**he also purchased 10 pairs of the Voskhod 6N23P aka 6H23 tubes before leaving}--- another person told me via email after hearing the Voskhod 6N23P tubes, he decided not to purchase the pair of Cca tubes he was looking at and purchased the Voshod's instead!

Don't believe me? Read my feedback from when I was selling the Voskhod 6N23P tubes on Audiogon ---**I'm not selling any tubes presently so I have nothing to gain financially by telling you this}--- and hopefully that will convinve you to try and locate some Voskhod "rocket-logo" 6N23P tubes for yourself! Here's a link to my Audiogon feedback: http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fb.pl?user=Tcscata Read the comments by Wizeazz & Glitzenberger especially, but all the feedback is very good...

Hi TubeGuy

So these 6n23P are 'drop-in' replacements for 6922 equipment? I just want to make sure, because i have heard 7308s are NOT always drop in replacements...something about slightly higher voltage in the 7308.

so far, in my limited experience, i like the Amperex US PQ White Labels...preferred to the Mullards i have used and also liked (just not as much), as the Amperexes felt slightly more extended and retained natural tonality without a slight residual 'thickness' in the mids and [surprisingly] a slight stiffness.

Where does one buy these 6n23P?

thetubeguy1954

Feb 7, 2012
Orlando, Fl.
groups.yahoo.com
Hi TubeGuy

So these 6n23P are 'drop-in' replacements for 6922 equipment? I just want to make sure, because i have heard 7308s are NOT always drop in replacements...something about slightly higher voltage in the 7308.

so far, in my limited experience, i like the Amperex US PQ White Labels...preferred to the Mullards i have used and also liked (just not as much), as the Amperexes felt slightly more extended and retained natural tonality without a slight residual 'thickness' in the mids and [surprisingly] a slight stiffness.

Where does one buy these 6n23P?

Yes these Voskhod "rocket-logo" 6N23P or 6H23n as they're often refered to in the states are definitely direct, drop-in replacements for 6DJ8 or 6922 tubes ---**6922 tubes are what were in my GoldeNote Stibbert CD player when I purchased it}--- I know this because I sold over 200/prs of these Voskhod "rocket-logo" 6N23P tubes and I didn't receive 1 single complaint! Just be careful you're 100% sure you're purchasing Voskhod "rocket-logo" 6N23P tubes and not Reflektor 6N23P, 6N23P-EB or 6N23P-EV, because you might hear a couple say they like these Refektors, but the vast majority don't! To be 100% sure you're purchasing Voskhod "rocket-logo" 6N23P tubes go to this site first. It will show you what the logo for different russian companies look like: http://www.ominous-valve.com/russtube.html Now go to this eBay AD and there's a pair of the Voskhod "rocket-logo" 6N23P tubes for sale: http://tinyurl.com/73yue38 you'll easily be able to determine these are definitely the Voskhod "rocket-logo" 6N23P tubes you're looking for! Good luck and if you have my questions or don't win these tubes you email me at thetubeguy1954(at)yahoo(dot)com and I'll see if I can help you. Just don't pay too much for these tubes as this guy wants $27 to ship them to the USA

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
EAT ECC88 - new production, but I preferred this over the other popular NOS (including the Siemens CCa goldpins) that I own

Hi Dimfer,

I am seriously considering buying these...i use Amperex US PQ White Labels...love the sound, but they get noisy after not much time. They sound like a vaccum cleaner is going thru my speakers for about the first 1 minute until they warm up, then one hisses or crackles periodically...a serious PITA when you've labored for years to put together a SOTA system second-hand piece by piece...to have a single tube make a mess. When they work, they are magic.

Have you ever compared the EATs to others? Have they been quiet and reliable since you've started using them? I believe there are two sold by EAT...a 'regular' and a 'special' which is more expensive. Which ones are these?

thanks for any advice!!!

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Different tubes will give different reactions in different units. When Amprex is right for one User it is not automatically identical for the next. Some also use them to "tune" the System sonically in the direction they want.
In my Lamm M1.2R for example Amprex 7308 is a great tube, also Telefunken 6922 from 1970. Amperex is overall a great tube, soundstage and a kind of improved holographic picture is the result. But mainly I use the Telefunken, they are very linear from Frequency and imo the most neutral ones.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Different tubes will give different reactions in different units. When Amprex is right for one User it is not automatically identical for the next. Some also use them to "tune" the System sonically in the direction they want.
In my Lamm M1.2R for example Amprex 7308 is a great tube, also Telefunken 6922 from 1970. Amperex is overall a great tube, soundstage and a kind of improved holographic picture is the result. But mainly I use the Telefunken, they are very linear from Frequency and imo the most neutral ones.

Hey! Me too :) I switch between CV2492s and Tele CCa redtips with my M1.2s although the stock 6H23s are no slouches.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Thanks and agree...good to hear about Telefunkens. I may give them a try. I will say, i have never liked the set of Mullard ECC88s i got a long time ago...always tried to use them, and ended up putting them back in the drawer. Until now. I use them with EAT Tube dampers, and while i still find their sound just a touch harder than the Amperexes---that extra 5% gives the magic that i enjoy about the Amperexes...i will say that many of the good qualities of the Mullards are now coming thru thanks to the EAT Tube dampers.

And for some reason, i got a very noisy/hissy batch of Amperexes which i am now about to return for credit/trade. So i am enjoying the Mullards which are stone quiet (in comparison).

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
When you go for NOS Tubes, polish the Pins before you put them into the Socket. Don't use any fluid, try a kind of rubber or similar to get the pins clean.
The result can be impressive (and it is for free).

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
When you go for NOS Tubes, polish the Pins before you put them into the Socket. Don't use any fluid, try a kind of rubber or similar to get the pins clean.
The result can be impressive (and it is for free).

I'd like to know what Andy at Vintage Tube services does to descale his tubes (i suspect part is using Caig?)? Personally I use a qtip and a paste Silver polish to clean the pins followed by Kontak. Years ago used to use this cleaning kit made by a friend of David Berning that was essentially different shaped rough pipe cleaners inserted into a "holding" device. I'd dip into a cleaning fluid and then vigorously brush the pins.

Do you find any problem though with tube life of the (supposedly) Nos tubes? They never seem to last in my cj gear. I just think there's really few NOS tubes left, despite what sellers claim :( I'm trying some Tele ECC801s and '70s vintage Tesla E83cc tubes now in my Doshi phono stage.

BTW, nice to see you contributing over here! :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Do you find any problem though with tube life of the (supposedly) Nos tubes? They never seem to last in my cj gear. I just think there's really few NOS tubes left, despite what sellers claim :( I'm trying some Tele ECC801s and '70s vintage Tesla E83cc tubes now in my Doshi phono stage.

Hi Myles

Perhaps you and i (and Turntable) should speak with CJ about this...at least specifically in reference to the GAT. It does seem to go thru tubes quickly...the stock tubes went hissy in 1,000 hours and i am waiting for replacements from Ed. The 2 sets of Amperexs (to be fair...i think were not NOS)...got hissy within 4-6 weeks. So far the Mullards are dead quiet after a few weeks...particularly with EAT Tube dampers.

But i do wonder, having read somewhere about someone else with GAT making a similar observation.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Myles

Perhaps you and i (and Turntable) should speak with CJ about this...at least specifically in reference to the GAT. It does seem to go thru tubes quickly...the stock tubes went hissy in 1,000 hours and i am waiting for replacements from Ed. The 2 sets of Amperexs (to be fair...i think were not NOS)...got hissy within 4-6 weeks. So far the Mullards are dead quiet after a few weeks...particularly with EAT Tube dampers.

But i do wonder, having read somewhere about someone else with GAT making a similar observation.

I haven't experimented with the GAT though bought tubes like a pr. of Tele E188/7308ccs to try. My experience was mainly with the TEA1bc and 12ax7s. Problem here is two of the three positions are critical and MUST be low noise. Tried other tubes w/o much success :( So was left to playing with the remaining position. Liked the Tele ecc83s but they never lasted more than 4-6 months before distorting or going micro phonic. Problem also was thought the previously supplied but no longer available Ei is better than currently supplied Mullard reissues. But the Eis are wildly variable and often get tubes that are micro phonic on one side and fine on the other :( Longetivity is also an issue and cj must have really had a HIGH rejection rate foe the EIs.

Last edited:

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Do you find any problem though with tube life of the (supposedly) Nos tubes? They never seem to last in my cj gear.

I think, this in in general a interesting question. Some Designs really burn down tubes fast, no matter what you try. Of course, no one will tell you that.
Based on that fact I always choose my gear with a Design which is very soft on Tubes and based on that I can say, I never had a problem with any Tube. For example, I had OTL Atma-Sphere, OTL Design from brain is really a task, but R. Karsten solved it AND I never changed one tube all over the years when I had the amps. A great Design.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I recently scored a pair of Valvo (Holland) 7308s from Jovy (oldfogey). This is a dandy of a tube. It's got Mullard texture and tons of upper mid/lower treble detail. Not as defined and airy up top compared to the Tele CCas but more than the CV2492s. The comparable lack of top end definition makes the stage a bit more recessed but the upper mid and lower treble detail helps better define the image shapes from front to back. These are on the rare side but aren't too expensive. Great tube for someone looking for an in-betweener from a CCa and a military Mullard like the CV2492 which has more transient snap than their brethren ecc88s or e88ccs.

Now let's keep this between us huh guys? Let's keep those prices affordable :)

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Years ago after making cap mods to my MF XCANV2 went with matched NOS Mullard EC88's, then did the volume pot change. Liked this for awhile. Later went with GSP Solo with better supply. Shame the Mullards to my ears lost their magic so early, might have stayed with it longer, especially after the cap work.

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I liked best Amperex orange globes 6dj8 from the 60's and 70's, great warm, earthy tone. Least favorite are the standard sovteks, midrange MIA with stringy, strident highs.

You could try buying a box of the cheap Philips green labels and test them until find a good pair. Good ones sound great, but production variations make them inconsisitent.

I currently don't use 6922's in any components but have a bunch in the closet.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I liked best Amperex orange globes 6dj8 from the 60's and 70's, great warm, earthy tone. Least favorite are the standard sovteks, midrange MIA with stringy, strident highs..

I like the Amperex PQ white labels i have gotten from Brent Jessee a lot. Totally agree on Sovteks (as when i trialed them briefly in my Zanden and CJ equipment)...cannot speak about their use in other equipment.

You could try buying a box of the cheap Philips green labels and test them until find a good pair. Good ones sound great, but production variations make them inconsisitent..

i really enjoyed the JAN Philips Zanden use as stock in their DAC...incredibly microphonic, but very mellifluous and reasonably good detail and inexpensive. i swapped for Amperex 7308 mentioned above. But JAN Philips is darn good and a fraction of the price...add an EAT tube damper for the microphonics and an excellent tube.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I like the Amperex PQ white labels i have gotten from Brent Jessee a lot. Totally agree on Sovteks (as when i trialed them briefly in my Zanden and CJ equipment)...cannot speak about their use in other equipment.

i really enjoyed the JAN Philips Zanden use as stock in their DAC...incredibly microphonic, but very mellifluous and reasonably good detail and inexpensive. i swapped for Amperex 7308 mentioned above. But JAN Philips is darn good and a fraction of the price...add an EAT tube damper for the microphonics and an excellent tube.

Hi Guys,

FWIW, i just got 2 pairs of Amperex NOS 6922 from Brent Jessee for my CJ GAT...my comparison is the Mullard 6Dj8 a very good tube when used with a EAT Tube damper. In the first 2 hours, more "lithe" that was the word that came to mind....the music has a delicacy, detail and flow that i did not get with an (amazing) combination of EAT tube dampers with Mullard 6dj8s.

I am still waiting to make my final assessment, but even my girlfriend. who has a very good ear but just does not care about this "system stuff"...has noticed the clarity, bass detail and difference. i am trying diff music before i make my final conclusion...but so far, so good.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Update...I have noticed improvement in clarity, decay and particularly instrument separation...significant improvement in this latter point. I believe bass is equally extended...a little more challenging on this point. Mainly because i think the sound is not quite as full...but i am conming to the conclusion that this is upper bass being tighter. I think the Mullards were fuller sounding but that might have been 'reverb' in the upper bass...still deciding track by track. Other than this one point, the Amperexes are superior to the Mullards. More lithe, more detailed, more pure in the midrange by a touch. Jury still out on this upper bass point.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My favorite NOS 6922/6dj8 is the Mullard CV2492. Warm but still clear and well extended.

Hi jack. hav eyou ever compared mullard cv2492 to Amperex 6922s? i am doing it now. Amperexes far clearer mids and uppers...far cleaner and better detail. The Mullards did seem to produce a more powerful sound...particularly in upper bass presentation...trying to figure out itf it is just reverb or actually true bass power. put another way, i have started to readjust my sub if that tells you anything...originally the mullards were linear but way too stiff, and then i added EAT tube ampers...and magic arrived. then i got my replacement set of amperexes, and the delicacy and detail are wonderful, but the mullards linearity and punch are impressive.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing