Nola Concert Grands

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Very soon you will only have to travel to Stockholm Lloyd. Welcome :)

Good news, although my good memories of Stockholm also include some of the most expensive beer in my life. :)

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
My focus only allows me to represent the Micro and Metro Grands at the moment from the reference series.

Both fantastic. I was "forced" to live with the Micros for about a year. Great speaker

Idefix

May 17, 2014
Hi

Metro Gold are fabulous
I 've some for many months now with ClassA stereobloc and tube preamp.

LIveness and emotions with large scene, 3D, speed
They are "superbe" on all kind of music

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Hi

Metro Gold are fabulous

Congrats

They are excellent.

Idefix

May 17, 2014
thanks !
I am very happy with such music maker.
And when you give them some good files such as DSD the Dream comes true !

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
thanks !
I am very happy with such music maker.
And when you give them some good files such as DSD the Dream comes true !

What is really great about the Nola line, at least to me, is the uniform signature of the speaker across their whole line. Their sound field and realism is almost scary.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi

Metro Gold are fabulous

Congrats and very interesting. When you say Class A...how much do you think you need to drive the bigger Nolas? I was reading up on the Nola Grand Ref which HP reviewed last year. It was driven by the ARC 75 for the review I believe, but I am intrigued by your own comments about amplification. Thanks for any guidance here.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Congrats and very interesting. When you say Class A...how much do you think you need to drive the bigger Nolas? I was reading up on the Nola Grand Ref which HP reviewed last year. It was driven by the ARC 75 for the review I believe, but I am intrigued by your own comments about amplification. Thanks for any guidance here.

I am not sure if your question was directed at me BUT as a prior owner of Baby Grands who found the optimal amp to be the Ref250s; when I purchased the Concert Grands Golds the Ref75 proved to be the better amp with these speakers; the last thing I wanted!!

Both being driven by a Ref10 preamp and MSB DAC Diamond plus

The REF75 is the best amp for the $$ I have ever owned assuming your speakers are well mated to the amp.

Carl

Industry Expert
Feb 25, 2014
Note: The Metro Gold at 87 dB is less sensitive than the Concert Grand Gold at 91dB.
All our speakers are 8 ohms so these ratings are real.
However that means if you wanted the same loud output from a Metro Gold compared to a Concert Grand Gold, the Metro needs more than twice the power. A distributor here at Munich borrowed Metro Golds for his display and is using Plinius Reference asA 300 w class A stereo amp driven by a BAT tube preamp and this works very well.

The Concert Grand Reference works very well with the ARC / Ref 10 / Ref 75 combo. This combo played loud enough for Harry Pearson on his "power music" and has produced "live Concert levels at CES.

At Newport, we have a small room and will use the Ref 10 / Ref 75 with the Metro Golds. The room size is also important as is the specific brand and technology of those watts in driving our speakers under real world conditions.

Carl

Industry Expert
Feb 25, 2014
The Baby Grand Ref II did work better with the Ref 250. However the Ref 75 works with the New Baby Grand Reference Gold. This is due to the new bass drivers with exotic Alnico magnet systems.
We are using these here at Munich with 40 watts . We could use more power such as the Ref 75 but do not need 250 watts of tubes.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for all the replies! Very helpful. Look forward to hearing these someday.

Carl

Industry Expert
Feb 25, 2014
Hi LL21,
If you are interested in a certain model we can set up an audition at the factory in New York.
Also,
We will be at Newport with Metro Gold
Cheers

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi LL21,
If you are interested in a certain model we can set up an audition at the factory in New York.
Also,
We will be at Newport with Metro Gold
Cheers

Thank you. I will let you know next time we are in NYC. I would very much like to hear the Grand Ref Gold and Grand Ref Gold VI.

Idefix

May 17, 2014
To LL21,

Zanden 3000 + Luxman M800 make a very good set form them.
The Zanden brings a beautiful emotion on voices without any coloration and the Luxman gives what is needed for strict bass but wihout forgiving the music.
I really think that tube preamp with a class A power amp should be compared to a full tube amplification with the metro golds.

I tested 845, 6C33, AA62B (maybe not with sufficient power) but the best for me was with the couple Zanden/Luxman.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
To LL21,

Zanden 3000 + Luxman M800 make a very good set form them.
The Zanden brings a beautiful emotion on voices without any coloration and the Luxman gives what is needed for strict bass but wihout forgiving the music.
I really think that tube preamp with a class A power amp should be compared to a full tube amplification with the metro golds.

I tested 845, 6C33, AA62B (maybe not with sufficient power) but the best for me was with the couple Zanden/Luxman.
Thank you...seems like I may be in luck given that my favourite existing electronics are well suited for the speakers I am most interested in:

Big Wilsons
Arrakis
Big Nolas

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing