NHB-458 monoblock power amplifier

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
some corner bass traps would be good. Looks like a very ambient room with little absorption...

and the hardwood in front of the speakers likely causes first reflection issues and smearing; although without knowing how far back the listening seat is it's hard to tell exactly about that. i would move the area rug closer.

they likely moved the listening seat out and pulled the carpet back for a more dramatic picture.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
No need to sugercoat it. That room looks like it has what non audiophiles call "bathroom acoustics".

we cannot see the side walls, but based on the presence of the RPG Diffractals there is likely some there too.

we cannot see the ceiling, and that area rug is likely pulled back for a better picture showing more of the beautiful wood floor. so both the ceiling and floor may be properly treated.

as far as corner bass traps and how much they may be needed; unless you heard or measured the room we cannot assume.

so i would be surprised if the room did not perform quite well. but there are a few unanswered questions for sure. and anyone putting together gear like that ought to have their bases covered.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Curious ... The previous version of this speaker, the Dynaudio Consequence mk2, have been playing in my room with exactly the same back arrangement - two RPG abbfusors surrounded by four RPG diffractals, all 6 feet high...

No, I did not have the Dratzeel monoblocks or the nice looking ressonators in the corners. :)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I found the origin of the picture. It is from a store in Korea. For the curious (a lot of pictures from that room with other wonderful setups):

http://www.audiooutlet.co.kr/web10/board/brd_wz_view_n10.asp?pid=10168&lid=100&f_lid=100137&table=brd_10199&ishtml=n

thanks for the link, i enjoyed looking thru the many set-ups, cool gear, and especially the pictures of the NHB-458's......very nice.

and it does appear that the room would likely have a few issues based on the pictures in terms of all the flat hard surfaces; which considering the level of much of the gear it would have seemed sensible to treat more than it shows.

however.....with all the people in the room for demo's which would tend to dampen (deaden) the overall musical energy, it was likely still pretty good. my room is a similar size overall to that one, although more appropriately shaped and taller. and when i have club meetings in my room and there are up to 20 or so people in the room.....well.....it's like 20 'bass traps' added to a room that is already in balance. so that sucks out musical energy. it may be that they keep it mostly untreated for that reason.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Definetively nice design those amps , i see from the pics there are several anodized aluminium colours to choose from .
We wont see/hear them in the netherlands i think , too expensive , i also understood the dutch importer from boulder stopped , just too much $$$ for the dutch market

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
and the hardwood in front of the speakers likely causes first reflection issues and smearing; although without knowing how far back the listening seat is it's hard to tell exactly about that. i would move the area rug closer.

they likely moved the listening seat out and pulled the carpet back for a more dramatic picture.

A Rug , I thought it was a table ....!!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
thesw must be your cats

Attachments

• linus.jpg
    linus.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 691
  • lions-males-botswana_612_600x450.jpg
    lions-males-botswana_612_600x450.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 675

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Ok, now I am officially jealous! Congratulations Mike! I can't wait to read your impressions on how all this sounds.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
What do you make of this ....

image.jpeg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
got to be awesome sounding.

Did you listen to these speakers? There is a pair being advertised since long locally at 1/6 retail price and no takers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing