New Weiss DAC 501 / 502

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
It works without earth but to be sure you can ask Daniel.
Some DACs AC input EMI filter needs earth to bypass the noise if i am not mistaken.

Reactions: Juiced

Juiced

Nov 26, 2022

Juiced

Nov 26, 2022
After 2--3 month of playing/burn-in i hear a significant improvement in SQ.
I'm using a generic power cable cause it sounded most natural to my ears.

Any positive reports on other power cables?

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg
After 2--3 month of playing/burn-in i hear a significant improvement in SQ.
I'm using a generic power cable cause it sounded most natural to my ears.

Any positive reports on other power cables?
Hi,

depending in which country you live in and how stable your overall powergrid will be, it may make a difference ;-)
In regards of high quality PSU, like in the Weiss DAC, I'd not chase too much around power cables.

Difference in my chain, was more on using AES/EBU vs. Chinch Input and good XLR for output.

I use a custom made (over-expensive) power cable via Niagara power filter...I'm on of those ones ;-) Did it make a difference for the Weiss DAC 501? If you ask me: YES! Is there some placebo effect as well: YES!

Rgds
Gerald

Juiced

Nov 26, 2022
do you think the Weiss can benefit from an "audiophile" Ethernet cable like?

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Yes , I have prefered AR ethernet cable

lower noise , more definition

I think in Computer playback all things are important

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg

NO, good Cat7/8 for €80 is more than okay (sorry, if someone thinks a silver-plug or cable is better, didn't get technology underneath - no audio sign waves are travelling here, data with Jitter/Latency - So don't get fooled by marketing!).
....the focus is here on the whole path to your internet uplink router. So that's why people prefer optical.

BUT a difference you will here is the network switches in between (don't waste for ethernet cables >200€ - good shielded ones and proper RJ45 plugs). See the deep-dive here, the only one you will find, besides battling how stupid/great audiophiles switches are!

Live BLIND test switches - do switches matter for audio quality? - YouTube

I personally use in one system:
- Paul Pang Dual Switch (cascaded with another Netgear which connects to my uplink router), another listening system TeraDak Netgear ProSafe with a good Linear PSU
- For my uplink router I also use a linear power supply, which also helps a lot (even for your 4k TV streaming!)

I you wanna go "nuts", go for:
- Paul Pang Quad Switch, SHOPPING AREA: PPA AUDIO GRADE SWITCH (ppaproduct.blogspot.com)
- Silent Switch OCXO – Ediscreation

Rgds
Gerald

P.S.: also don't forget: Weiss DAC doesn't stream directly, it is acting as a roon bridge or UPNP device. Therefore high-grade Ethernet have less more impact, than from where your streaming source comes (roon/laptop ...)

Last edited:

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
I have used this configuration:

iMac 27" core i9 (highest CPU/RAM) + Roon
Apple Time Capsule as Switch
Weiss DAC501 (Roon Ready)
Vitus SIA-025 Class A Zero Feedback Amplifier
TAD CE1 Loudspeaker

we had 4 different ethernet cables:
Legrand Ethernet Cable
China Made Noname Cable
Purist Audio Ethernet Cable
Acoustic Revive Ethernet Cable

all AC cables were Purist Audio Neptune
No AC filter , No AC Conditioner in the Line
No Ground Conditioner
No Audiophile Rack , All placed on Natural Wood
IC and Speaker Cables were Skogrand
No wifi , All connections were Ethernet Cables
Roon Core optimized by sudo renice linux command
Weiss 501 Output voltage around 6.8v (0db)
Vitus input Voltage adjusted on 8v
Signal Polarity was Correct
AC Polarity was Correct (both Vitus and Weiss sound better at Correct AC Polarity)
Speaker position was good
Room RT was good
Room size was smaller than 28sqm
Main AC Quality was good enough
All equipments were fully breaked-in

we repeated the test more than three times and even in blind test the difference was obvious .

Three young audiophile listened to this test.

the sound of Ethernet cables were not equal

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg
I have used this configuration:

iMac 27" core i9 (highest CPU/RAM) + Roon
Apple Time Capsule as Switch
Weiss DAC501 (Roon Ready)
Vitus SIA-025 Class A Zero Feedback Amplifier
TAD CE1 Loudspeaker

we had 4 different ethernet cables:
Legrand Ethernet Cable
China Made Noname Cable
Purist Audio Ethernet Cable
Acoustic Revive Ethernet Cable

all AC cables were Purist Audio Neptune
No AC filter , No AC Conditioner in the Line
No Ground Conditioner
No Audiophile Rack , All placed on Natural Wood
IC and Speaker Cables were Skogrand
No wifi , All connections were Ethernet Cables
Roon Core optimized by sudo renice linux command
Weiss 501 Output voltage around 6.8v (0db)
Vitus input Voltage adjusted on 8v
Signal Polarity was Correct
AC Polarity was Correct (both Vitus and Weiss sound better at Correct AC Polarity)
Speaker position was good
Room RT was good
Room size was smaller than 28sqm
Main AC Quality was good enough
All equipments were fully breaked-in

we repeated the test more than three times and even in blind test the difference was obvious .

Three young audiophile listened to this test.

the sound of Ethernet cables were not equal
Hi Amir,

Apple time capsule switch is using a 15US$ switch inside ;-)
Unfortunately you don't know how much "placebo" was there for each of your listeners ;-)

So I'm always very skeptical about this tests. So what is for sure, if you change to a more higher grade switch.
RJ45 cables are a how well the plugs and if you are using a good quality CAT8 <3m, I highly doubt there will be a "hearable" difference.

Sorry, did too many tests by myself and always got myself fooled ;-)

Try testing the same cable 5 times in a row and also try "as you would change the cable" and I'm very confident, you will get many times different opinions how well-sounded it was and how much have changed.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Hi

I can not repeat the test because this system is not mine, it is my friend system.
I do not have computer playback and I do not like Computer playback.

about changing Apple Time Capsule to a better Switch :
1. We listened to D-Link Switch but the Apple was better
2. If we use better switch to increase the audio performance then the Contrast between cables will not decrease. If you increase performance then you will hear more difference/contrast between cables

nicoludio

Apr 15, 2014
The DAC502 is transparent enough to show the differences between LAN cables. I currently use the Sablon Audio Ethernet cable (pre 2020 version) and have compared it directly with the Telegartner MFP8 GOLD IE Ethernet Cable.

The Weiss is fed by a Melco N1ZH/2EX-H60, which is connected to a Buffalo BS-GS2016A (modified and used with a Plixir DC LPS) which, in turn, connected to a Cisco 2960, then the router. Have bought the Ediscreation Silent Switch OXCO so may try that between the Melco and the Weiss (as recommended by Edison, the maker).

In the above setup,, there were differences but not night and day, and may be a matter of preference perhaps as to which is better. Planning to try the Acoustic Revive LAN-1.0 Triple C ethernet at some stage.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaynyc

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
The DAC502 is transparent enough to show the differences between LAN cables. I currently use the Sablon Audio Ethernet cable (pre 2020 version) and have compared it directly with the Telegartner MFP8 GOLD IE Ethernet Cable.

The Weiss is fed by a Melco N1ZH/2EX-H60 60 EX, which is connected to a Buffalo BS-GS2016A (modified and used with a Plixir DC LPS) which, in turn, connected to a Cisco 2960, then the router. Have bought the Ediscreation Silent Switch OXCO so may try that between the Melco and the Weiss (as recommended by Edison, the maker).

In the above setup,, there were differences but not night and day, and may be a matter of preference perhaps as to which is better. Planning to try the Acoustic Revive LAN-1.0 Triple C ethernet at some stage.
I also find positive comments about Melco Audio.
I did not have Melco but It seems Melco is very Good .

Juiced

Nov 26, 2022
The Melco is quite expensive.

i'm using generic Ethernet cables and between my router and the Weiss i have connected a 'Netgear 308' which darken the background a little bit.

It will be much cheaper to buy three more 'Netgear 308' or 'Netgear 108' then a single Paul Pang Quad or Melco :D

And maybe a single linear PSU that can power four Netgear 308/108

Atriya

Feb 25, 2023
P.S.: also don't forget: Weiss DAC doesn't stream directly, it is acting as a roon bridge or UPNP device. Therefore high-grade Ethernet have less more impact, than from where your streaming source comes (roon/laptop ...)

Could you clarify this statement? What is meant by "doesn't stream directly"? Is it any different from using a Raspberry Pi or any other device as a streamer?

I am using Roon on a laptop. The laptop is directly connected via an ethernet cable to a DAC502, with a Pink Faun LAN isolator in between (no switches, routers, etc). Now using the Weiss' Roon Ready mode to play audio from Roon.

In this setup, I assume it is the Weiss that is acting as the streamer and not the laptop? Which is to say, the quality of the laptop & quality of power to the laptop, etc., should not matter to the sound? Or would I benefit from instead connecting the laptop via ethernet to (for example) a Raspberry Pi running Ropieee, and then connect the Pi to the Weiss via USB?

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg
Could you clarify this statement? What is meant by "doesn't stream directly"? Is it any different from using a Raspberry Pi or any other device as a streamer?

I am using Roon on a laptop. The laptop is directly connected via an ethernet cable to a DAC502, with a Pink Faun LAN isolator in between (no switches, routers, etc). Now using the Weiss' Roon Ready mode to play audio from Roon.

In this setup, I assume it is the Weiss that is acting as the streamer and not the laptop? Which is to say, the quality of the laptop & quality of power to the laptop, etc., should not matter to the sound? Or would I benefit from instead connecting the laptop via ethernet to (for example) a Raspberry Pi running Ropieee, and then connect the Pi to the Weiss via USB?
I meant the Weiss is an Roon-ready/UpnP streamer only, no Tidal, Quobuz or Spotify connect is embedded.

Your setup is fine, use your roon on any device you've and the Weiss as endpoint.
I'd never user an Laptop USB attached to a higher quality DAC, because those are cheap consumer chipsets.
Devices like Anitpodes, Jcat do have quality audio-tuned USB, but at the end, for me is LAN and Roon endpoint the better way.

I personally don't stream via Roon, instead using Lumin mini U2 as streamer, attached via AES/EBU to the Weiss.

Atriya

Feb 25, 2023
I meant the Weiss is an Roon-ready/UpnP streamer only, no Tidal, Quobuz or Spotify connect is embedded.

Your setup is fine, use your roon on any device you've and the Weiss as endpoint.
I'd never user an Laptop USB attached to a higher quality DAC, because those are cheap consumer chipsets.
Devices like Anitpodes, Jcat do have quality audio-tuned USB, but at the end, for me is LAN and Roon endpoint the better way.

I personally don't stream via Roon, instead using Lumin mini U2 as streamer, attached via AES/EBU to the Weiss.

Got it, thanks!

TDinCali

Apr 19, 2023
I’ve read through all of the pages dedicated to the dac50x. My 4ch 501 is supposed to come in tomorrow and I’m genuinely excited. Took a bit of a gamble because I wasn’t able to demo but if it surpasses my current dac I’ll be ecstatic. I’m still trying to optimize my rack so there’s constant tweaks going on so hopefully that won’t throw me off.

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg
I’ve read through all of the pages dedicated to the dac50x. My 4ch 501 is supposed to come in tomorrow and I’m genuinely excited. Took a bit of a gamble because I wasn’t able to demo but if it surpasses my current dac I’ll be ecstatic. I’m still trying to optimize my rack so there’s constant tweaks going on so hopefully that won’t throw me off.
You'll be another happy Weiss-owner ;-)
I've my mk2 aka 4-channel upgrade almost now for a year and very happy for my central Streaming DAC.

Last edited:

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Welcome to Weiss Club

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing