E. England
Only sturdy supports need apply!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi Elliot,
Congratulations!
The Wadax Ref Server is awesome!

On one of your posted photos, I see an external power input.
I thought the Server got an internal powersupply section.
So it actually receives dc supply from PSU of the Ref DAC?

Reactions: Elliot G.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Hi Elliot,
Congratulations!
The Wadax Ref Server is awesome!

On one of your posted photos, I see an external power input.
I thought the Server got an internal powersupply section.
So it actually receives dc supply from PSU of the Ref DAC?
CK I believe that is there for some future item. It doesn't plug into the DAC for power.

Reactions: CKKeung

rando

Sep 22, 2019

I don't feel myself visually impacted by either one of these components until seeing them placed in an arrangement such as this. Once thoughts beginning forming about how I would've placed them on the floor all I can think about is walking past an upscale gym aerobics class with those serving as complex looking step platforms. :p

Congratulations on finally getting both components set up. The sound is no doubt quite worth ignoring the mocking tone of any outside commentary.

• Haha
Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
they have to be the ugliest pieces of hifi I have ever seen. o_O sorry.
I wouldn't say the ugliest ever I have seen but IMHO they are VERY high up there in my ranking :p

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda and XV-1

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I don't feel myself visually impacted by either one of these components until seeing them placed in an arrangement such as this. Once thoughts beginning forming about how I would've placed them on the floor all I can think about is walking past an upscale gym aerobics class with those serving as complex looking step platforms. :p

Congratulations on finally getting both components set up. The sound is no doubt quite worth ignoring the mocking tone of any outside commentary.
I don't ever purchase my audio gear by how it looks. I am always concerned by how it is made and the quality that goes inside and outside. I think this is important. Beauty however is something that we all don't see eye to eye on. I doubt that the setup in the picture will remain like that long term as I would prefer some different layout however those are the racks I have and use at shows. They are beat up and will sometime get replaced but as I said I don't even see any of that when I listen.

Reactions: nirodha and sbnx

caesar

May 30, 2010
I don't ever purchase my audio gear by how it looks. I am always concerned by how it is made and the quality that goes inside and outside.

True for some people but not for others. There are also subconscious factors acting that people are not probably aware of when making some decisions... Design , like art and music, bypasses the "regular processing"

Last edited:

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Nobody doubted the setup would remain like that. If any comment was made it should've been towards recognizing how perfectly both pieces of equipment fit! After too many months of entertaining ourselves the band has loosened (or been swallowed ;) ) on many peoples typical level of respectful well reasoned discussion.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Seems to me the DAC designer is making a number of questionable marketing choices. 3 bad mistake of the top of my head:

1. Ugly looks! Can't afford the Inez for $15K, here's Olga for only $3,500 on Gwenyth Paltrow's site :) : https://goop.com/lelo-olga/p/?variant_id=47128
2. Kidding aside, there is no distributor in US. I think he is using the big lady in Canada, the one with the charming personality :) ... But my understanding is that she is so horrible , that Avantgarde speakers , which she is also distributing, was recently trying to dump her... if this DAC is so great, why wouldn't an American take a business risk on this?

3. The dealers that seem to carry it are outside of the Wilson - dcs and Magico - msb social networks... why would those dealers upset their gravy trains and push a new brand?

4. Even the densest audiophiles are starting to understand that only idiots trust the audio reviewers. And the DAC designer has chosen his reviewers from the bottom of the barrel..

Roy "will you stop rambling and get to the FUKKING Point already" Gregory and someone from scum-lord Tom's Analytic Audiophile sound reviewed it. No one understands a word of what rambling Roy is saying... the same language Rambling Roy uses can apply to any piece of gear the self-loathing audiophile, Ethan Winer, has found for $9.99 at Walmart... what an arrogant, worthless idiot...

And the analytic sound guys told us that dcs (analytical in 90% of systems) was the best, and 2 months later that the even more analytical Berkeley Reference DAC is the best DAC extant (so anlytical, hang yourself from the chandelier ...Swing, swing, swing, swing) .. then is was MSB, and now Soulution or Wadax?

Does anyone (other than a dealer) actually own this DAC? Again, people would trust fellow hobbyiss much more than the Neal Grobbers/ "audio journalists"....

If any normal person have heard this DAC in your system can you share if you have compared it the top DACs like dCS, MSB, Lampizator, or TotalDAC? What are the trade-offs with these top brands? Why did you choose the WADAX?

Maybe this is a great DAC. (even a blind pig Neal Grobber occasionally finds an acorn.)

But Unless someone makes a compelling case for it VIA COMPARISONS and Elucidating the Tradeoffs to other top DACs, it will be the butt of the ugliness jokes.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I think that many would really find the DAG comment way out of left field. I think their look, along with McIntosh is a major positive to their owners.
The fact that you are aware of dildo's and those that are 15000 certainly is informative! LMAO
Perhaps that would really Increase YOUR listening pleasure. We are all well aware of Ms. Paltrow's expertise in high end!
I am glad it makes you feel better to say that, Elliot, but look at the business realities

caesar

May 30, 2010
I think that many would really find the DAG comment way out of left field.
Come on man, D'Agostino is as ugly as it gets in this hobby. It's for guys who like gold-plated toilets..

You sell CH Precision, I believe.. now that and Soultuion are gorgeous looking!

:) :) :)

caesar

May 30, 2010
So can anyone encourage the owner of Wadax DAC to change his marketing strategy and actually get it into the hands of audiophiles who can make a good case for it, instead of relying on mis-incentivized characters?

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
So can anyone encourage the owner of Wadax DAC to change his marketing strategy and actually get it into the hands of audiophiles who can make a good case for it, instead of relying on mis-incentivized characters?
I don’t ... but I encourage you to stop constantly criticizing aesthetics. Your position has been very clear and does not contribute anything else to this thread ...
You don’t like it. Ok, everyone already knows it….
Forget Wadax. It isn’t for you….

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Come on man, D'Agostino is as ugly as it gets in this hobby. It's for guys who like gold-plated toilets..

You sell CH Precision, I believe.. now that and Soultuion are gorgeous looking!

:) :) :)
Caesar, You have an opinion and that's fine but that doesn't make it true, its just your opinion. I think looks are personal and everyone can decide what they like. IMO it has nothing to do with the sound or quality and you comparing someone's work to a sex toy is straight up disrespectful.

The Wadax Reference DACS for your info are on backorder and take months to order and get. There will be plenty of them sold just like in the past there were other high-end digital systems sold which cost as much or even more when you figure in all the boxes, cables and power cords required to make them work.
As far as you and reviewers we all get that you only like the ones that share your opinion. I think Roy Gregory is one of the few that actually does a full and thorough job with a product. Reviewers are expressing their thoughts and IMO the best are those who have experienced many of the best items and stay current. Most do not! I represent a small company and getting someone to look at and review your product is very difficult with many hurdles to jump through.

Last thing of mighty Caesar, the Wadax is and I stand by this statement a transcendent revelation in audio. This is not to say that everything else is bad or wrong just that it IMO is finally reaching what the promise of this technology has been reaching for in its 40 years. To those who have not heard this is a really good system you are truly missing out. I have a customer with a dCS stack and one with an MSB stack ( the top of the line in both ) AND BOTH OF THEM FELT THE WADAX was something far beyond what they bought and own.

Sometimes one has to go beyond looks and sex toys to actually understand what happens and sadly your limited viewpoint might prevent you from finding something better.

caesar

May 30, 2010
No Ceasar, MBL was designed to appeal to the guy with the gold plated toilet :rolleyes: This gear was obviously designed with the Klingon market in mind ;) Hopefully it sounds as outer-worldly as it looks !:)
Hahaha. Yes, I agree MBL is over the top. Their latest grill looks like the rolls Royce.
but nothing is as ugly as D’Agostino and Wadax

:)

Reactions: Lagonda

caesar

May 30, 2010
Caesar, You have an opinion and that's fine but that doesn't make it true, its just your opinion. I think looks are personal and everyone can decide what they like. IMO it has nothing to do with the sound or quality and you comparing someone's work to a sex toy is straight up disrespectful.

The Wadax Reference DACS for your info are on backorder and take months to order and get. There will be plenty of them sold just like in the past there were other high-end digital systems sold which cost as much or even more when you figure in all the boxes, cables and power cords required to make them work.
As far as you and reviewers we all get that you only like the ones that share your opinion. I think Roy Gregory is one of the few that actually does a full and thorough job with a product. Reviewers are expressing their thoughts and IMO the best are those who have experienced many of the best items and stay current. Most do not! I represent a small company and getting someone to look at and review your product is very difficult with many hurdles to jump through.

Last thing of mighty Caesar, the Wadax is and I stand by this statement a transcendent revelation in audio. This is not to say that everything else is bad or wrong just that it IMO is finally reaching what the promise of this technology has been reaching for in its 40 years. To those who have not heard this is a really good system you are truly missing out. I have a customer with a dCS stack and one with an MSB stack ( the top of the line in both ) AND BOTH OF THEM FELT THE WADAX was something far beyond what they bought and own.

Sometimes one has to go beyond looks and sex toys to actually understand what happens and sadly your limited viewpoint might prevent you from finding something better.
Hi Elliot , please re-read my post. All we got so far about the sound of this Dac is that it’s ”trensendental” . Thats is a meaningless word. It’s more hyperbole from the Neal Grobbers , on the surface. But ultimately It depends on one’s taste. and who one trusts.

what i am saying is that unless the wadax can show the benefits / trade offs of this dac vis a vis dcs, msb, the emotional realism of Lampi / TotalDac, they won’t sell as many as they can.

best of luck with this gearz!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing